Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

Moderator - Challengers &, Chicas Latinas
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fernanda Contreras will become the third Mexican player in open era to play Wimbledon singles main draw after beating Timea Babos today 6-3, 1-6, 6-3

Elena Subirats (1968) and Angelica Gavaldon (1990, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996) are the other Mexican players to have achieved it.

Well done Fernanda on second consecutive Grand Slam main draw appearance 馃檪 both going through Qualy

Nice how she was able to adapt after never having played on grass before this year.

Registered
This is not the first grass court tournament of the year for FerCongo @Alek

Great to see her in second GS MD in a row!
Great news for M茅xico and Lationamerica :cheer:

Registered
Lovely interview with Anne Keothavong on the YouTube stream. (Also, Anne Keothavong is just fabulous at her job of interviewer.)
Yes and those scenes showing all the emotion she felt were really touching. Lovely family history of Fernanda with her grandfather playing Wimbledon back in the day telling her stories as a child about the strawberries and cream etc.

Moderator - Challengers &, Chicas Latinas
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is not the first grass court tournament of the year for FerCongo @Alek

Great to see her in second GS MD in a row!
Great news for M茅xico and Lationamerica :cheer:
Nope. But she didn鈥檛 play in grass until this year. R1 exit in Surbiton and Q2 in Birmingham. Not bad I think. 馃檪

Registered
Glad that one of my picks in the thread "unknown scrubs with entertaining/variety games" is shining in Slams lately :cheer:
She seems a lovely girl as well - I think the way she reads her (probably hand written) slips of paper at change ends is extremely endearing - and that emotional reaction really tells everything.

Registered

Registered
She has an American accent, was she brought up there or maybe just spent a lot of time there?
I hope she gets a really nice draw
I always wonder if qualifiers prefer getting a low ranked player who they have a chance to beat or would rather play one of the top seeds so they have the chance to play on centre or no 1?
For someone like her, the latter I imagine

1 - 20 of 41 Posts