Tennis Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
There was a ballot for tickets a few weeks ago and a big demand. I'm pleased it got 3 1/2 hours on BBC1 so we could all see it. I must say I'm surprised Venus agreed to play but very glad she did :yeah:
And Kim said she only got the call the day before.

Did someone else drop out?

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I think it's entirely possible that Konta was asked and hastily replaced. Any active pro player will have had to have a clause allowing them to prioritise their pro commitments.

·
Registered
10,769 Posts
They did make an announcement to the crowd during the Venus/Clijsters warmup that they'd just got the news in that Jo had lost the final in Rome (to the sound of a collective "aww" from the Wimbledon audience). Johnny McEnroe was even asked about Jo's clay form and how she's doing. So I think it's very likely Konta was their original choice and they were all surprised she did so well in Rome.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Both Venus and Kim said they got the call the day before, So if Konta was originally going to play who was going to be her opponent?

·
Registered
14,444 Posts
Look at the crowd! :eek: I did not even hear about this event
I wonder how you got tickets.

I wonder how much the BBC wasted on that old windbag McEnroe.

·
Registered
14,444 Posts
There was a ballot for tickets a few weeks ago and a big demand. I'm pleased it got 3 1/2 hours on BBC1 so we could all see it. I must say I'm surprised Venus agreed to play but very glad she did :yeah:
I didn't see this before I posted my first question, above.

Was it really on the BBC for 3 and a half hours? :eek:

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I didn't see this before I posted my first question, above.

Was it really on the BBC for 3 and a half hours? :eek:
Yes. Wimbledon's about the only major annual sporting event the BBC still have rights to. This was a nice promotion for the tournament to come in July.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Love this! Now, I can’t wait for Wimbledon!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts