Tennis Forum banner

1941 - 1953 of 1953 Posts

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,941
She does have nannies. We've seen the French-speaking one many times when she's home in FL and there seem to be others that travel. Who do you guys think is watching Olympia when Serena's entire family + team is in her player's box during matches? :lol:

But yeah, her confidence is flimsy because she's low on reps --- on the practice court and especially on the match court. Having a healthy training block + matchplay is the key right now. Those things will improve her game which will in turn improve her mentality.

I swear... getting a step quicker will solve 98% of her problems. Her movement (+ rallying ability / point construction) has historically been her security blanket when she's tight and needs to stabilize herself and her game. She hasn't had that security blanket of late, which is why she starts to panic and these matches slip out of her grasp in the blink of an eye. Having a Plan B (not the pill :eek:) to fall back on will alleviate significant pressure off of her shoulders. That's the main area I'd like to see improvement in this summer now that she's healthy.

It's pretty funny how R3-SF was the most positive we've been about Serena in this whole comeback, and post-F has largely been the most negative everyone has been. :lol: 2&2 in 56 minutes is disgusting and unacceptable, but things right now are definitely more promising than they looked 6 weeks ago after the Kenin loss. The Army needs to calm down.

·
Premium Member
20,324 Posts
We should also keep in mind that more time away from Olympia could hurt her more. She clearly adores her daughter and wants to be with her all the time. Hasn't she spoken about having separation anxiety?

I think Olympia helps her go over losses faster too which is a good thing.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
She does have nannies. We've seen the French-speaking one many times when she's home in FL and there seem to be others that travel. Who do you guys think is watching Olympia when Serena's entire family + team is in her player's box during matches? :lol:

But yeah, her confidence is flimsy because she's low on reps --- on the practice court and especially on the match court. Having a healthy training block + matchplay is the key right now. Those things will improve her game which will in turn improve her mentality.

I swear... getting a step quicker will solve 98% of her problems. Her movement (+ rallying ability / point construction) has historically been her security blanket when she's tight and needs to stabilize herself and her game. She hasn't had that security blanket of late, which is why she starts to panic and these matches slip out of her grasp in the blink of an eye. Having a Plan B (not the pill :eek:) to fall back on will alleviate significant pressure off of her shoulders. That's the main area I'd like to see improvement in this summer now that she's healthy.

It's pretty funny how R3-SF was the most positive we've been about Serena in this whole comeback, and post-F has largely been the most negative everyone has been. :lol: 2&2 in 56 minutes is disgusting and unacceptable, but things right now are definitely more promising than they looked 6 weeks ago after the Kenin loss. The Army needs to calm down.
Pretty much all of this. Since shes not playing San Jose she needs to play both Canada and Cincy. Get some good matches on HC this summer before NY.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Cut her some slack. Serena is still fighting to get back to being 100% healthy. I think there is a lot more going on healthwise than she’s shared. Praying for a healthy hard court swing.

“Serena Williams was fashionably late. Then officially late. Then worryingly late. This wasn’t diva behavior or another celebrity operating on a clock of her own. This was something more significant. As the hours ticked by inside a sweeping studio space in a business park on the outskirts of London, Serena sat in a doctor’s office just a few miles away, waiting for information about her health.

After a routine practice session on the grass earlier that morning, she hadn’t felt well, and with Wimbledon just days away, the 23-time Grand Slam champion and mother of 22-month-old Alexis Olympia didn’t want to take a chance.

Following a quick evaluation and a thumbs-up from the doc, Serena arrived for this photo shoot barefaced, soft-spoken and still searching for energy. She was wearing a look of concern, as well as basic black joggers and pink-and-white Nike sneakers—all subtle reminders of something that’s easy to forget amid the superhuman facts, figures and fame that are forever fused to her name: she is, ultimately, mortal. That can be easy to forget.”

https://www.si.com/lifestyle/2019/07/18/serena-williams-fashionable-50-style-tennis-fashion-career

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Rena's Army
34,943 Posts

thank you pump :unsure: people want her to lock herself in a room to show much she wants it like she did in the past. It's so concerning seeing people wanting to dictate her life down to how she should deal with HER daughter to make THEM happy and show THEM how much she wants a stupid record. She went through hell in child birth and afterwards so I'm pretty sure Serena would drop tennis before she drops Olympia to "further her career" where she's already won everything. people went from "she needs matches" to "she needs a nanny for Olympia" :eek:

on your 2nd point: completely agree. you saw her panic against Halep, which she hardly ever does against a pigeon, and she tried ending points way too quickly. Also, those stupid points where she sets up the points nicely then goes for the statement winners and misses badly :eek: could we cut that out and just hit a safe winner and scream as the statement? :hysteric: She's still wearing heels tho so that's always a good sign about the knee. Hopefully it translates into matches during the USO Swing and a title

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Bye bad personality! Failed vulture mission.

·
Registered
53,510 Posts
Interesting words from Halep about the Wimbledon final :p

On how differently match point felt at the 2018 French Open compared to 2019 Wimbledon:

"Different, totally different. The pressure was much bigger in the French Open. The desire was really crazy and the fact that was my first Grand Slam was special. The last point of that match was a little bit more like emotional."

"Here I was more relaxed. But also that I was facing Serena and had nothing to lose. I said that if I'm going to win, it's gonna be something huge. If I lose it's normal. So I didn't think about the result that much. So it helped me to be more relaxed on court."

Poor Serena. Everyone feels no pressure when they play against her :sobbing:
Even Top players like Halep. And also Kerber. The media always mark Serena as the fave.
That makes things not easier. Kerber and now Halep totally peaked vs Serena :ras:

Of course she also must improve her footwork/movement. I hope she moves faster at US Open ...

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
They’re not great. They’re not going for records. Romania, Germany, Australia, Czech Rep, whatevs, will accept a slam or two, equaling it in meaning to Serena’s 23, while for Serena, 23 will never be enough because there’s always another record or standard she has to break. Nobody in tennis faces what Serena faces. Even after a cesarean and complications Serena is marked a favorite. For example Simona was ranked number one and at times only mentioned out of obligation. Simona was right, if she’d lost it would’ve been normal. I don’t feel sorry for Serena. She’s the greatest and this is her burden of many.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Poor Serena. Everyone feels no pressure when they play against her :sobbing:
Even Top players like Halep. And also Kerber. The media always mark Serena as the fave.
That makes things not easier. Kerber and now Halep totally peaked vs Serena :ras:
I disagree a little.

Halep peaked probably in that 1st set.

Kerber did not. She played better tennis in the 2016 loss. That loss out of the 3 is the one I put no blame on her on. She really was nowhere near ready. She had not shown any form that indicated she was Slam Winning ready that whole 2018 Wimbledon but her draw was laid out for her and she took advantage loss to the first quality player she played.

1941 - 1953 of 1953 Posts