Tennis Forum banner

1921 - 1940 of 1953 Posts

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,921
Do we really want Serena playing a bunch of hard court tournaments with her knee issues? I think one tournament before the US Open is good enough. Test the knee on the hard courts. She's only really been on soft surfaces (clay and grass) lately and I don't want her to push it too much.
She should play 2 unless her knee flares up again. She desperately needs matchplay against the elite defensive players (Halep, Stephens, Kerber, Wozniacki, Svitolina.... even Bertens/Barty would be adequate) and needs to improve a few things, mentally and game wise, that can't be simulated on the practice court.

No way will she go deep in both Canada/Cincinnati anyway. Looks like she's gonna be the #9 seed in both events, which means she's gonna barely miss out on a Bye and will need 6 matches to win the title instead of 5. If she wins Toronto, we'll be getting a walkover in the early rounds of Cincy. :zzz:

And she's already resigned to skipping the YEC this year even if she qualifies (based on this :rolls:), which should motivate her to give her all during these next 7 weeks, knowing that a 3 month vacation is right around the corner.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
I think she is doing the work. She as noticeably fitter here. The end result seemed more mental than physical.
I have to agree. Those abs were popping through , I truly believe this is the best shape she's been in during this latest comeback. I think it would benefit her to go deeper in these warmup events, though. Get to a final somewhere else and go through the nerves that may or may not show up - but either way just get to that point outside of a slam. I think it shows up in these slam finals that her appearances at other events have been so abbreviated. Her knee has obviously been a huge part of why she hasn't stayed in those tournaments for more than a round or two, so I'm just hoping that it can stay pain-free and allow her to compete for real at the non-slams (and continue to improve her fitness in the meantime).

I was so bummed Saturday, but now that I've taken a step back to put it all in perspective............it's frickin' insane that she's made it to three slam finals with such little prep time ahead of each one. She struggled like hell for 18 and 22, so I still have faith she'll figure it out, but I also don't think it would hurt to look into a sport psychologist (or five). I just want her to look like herself again when she makes GS finals, especially when she plays so freely leading up to those finals. :shrug:

Edit: Forgot to mention the reveal (obviously through Patrick) that she had the knee drained. It's great that it helped with her pain, but does anyone have experience with that sort of thing to know if there are short- or long-term implications of having that done?
no pre slam tournaments is not putting in work.

·
Rena's Army
34,943 Posts
no pre slam tournaments is not putting in work.
if she had to have her knee drained a pre-slam tournament on grass was never going to be the best idea. if she does that running up to the USO then say she's not putting in the work. getting slim while having a bad knee injury is never easy, yet she did it :shrug: let's not be unreasonable just because we're disappointed

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
if she had to have her knee drained a pre-slam tournament on grass was never going to be the best idea. if she does that running up to the USO then say she's not putting in the work. getting slim while having a bad knee injury is never easy, yet she did it :shrug: let's not be unreasonable just because we're disappointed
All I her is excuses but I'm over it. Believe what you want.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Damn gurl, you sound salty. Don’t shoot mamma Rena, she’s on the comeback trail. I’m sure Patrick would have quit a long time ago if he didn’t see her working. Serena is doing as much as she could, I’m sure. Now that she put it out in the universe, that she wants to win a slam as a mom, she is too proud not to fulfill it.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
:crying: i am.....it is just losing in finals to ppl like halep......
Damn gurl, you sound salty. Don’t shoot mamma Rena, she’s on the comeback trail. I’m sure Patrick would have quit a long time ago if he didn’t see her working. Serena is doing as much as she could, I’m sure. Now that she put it out in the universe, that she wants to win a slam as a mom, she is too proud not to fulfill it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I thought I was over this loss, but I just can’t believe the performance she put in. I hate to be negative, but I’m still stunned by the fact that she won more games against a peaking Osaka on a hard court than she did against Halep on GRASS.

That was the most un-Serena-like performance I’ve ever seen in a slam final. What the hell was that? No fight, no tactical changes, nothing. Her serve was mediocre and she couldn’t figure out what to do about Halep standing further back to return. She got discouraged at the net after Halep passed her a few times, but that was due to her completely brainless net play. She allowed herself to be a sitting duck at net and just acted like Halep was in god-mode. The instincts were gone and she was shook by Halep of all people. Halep played great, no doubt. But to see a player like Halep get into her head like that was worrying. She was striking the ball increasingly better, but she didn’t believe she could hit past her after the first set. I know she is working hard, even with everything that she has going on in her life. She looks increasingly fitter every time she plays. I just think she has lost the belief in herself and her body to do what she wants to do. Nerves play a part as well, but I don’t think she fully trusts her body yet.

Her footwork is the first thing to go when she gets nervous, and she was not moving her feet at ALL during the final. She needs to do intense work on her footwork this summer. I think better footwork would lessen the strain on her body. She can’t make up for sloppy footwork with her quickness and timing anymore. She’s clearly already putting in the work to slim down. I don’t doubt her drive or work ethic at this point. The ballstriking is there. The serve is there when she’s calm. I think the serve has been increasingly clutch since she has come back. She’s under so much pressure, but if she frees her mind she will win 24 and 25. Like others have said in this thread, she needs to start playing for herself and stop feeling the need to be what the media/ public want her to be. She doesn’t owe the media or the tennis establishment shit. They use her for clout when it’s convenient and denounce her every chance they get. She needs to do what she needs to do to win. I still have faith that she will overcome this and win two more slams. Regardless of everything that has happened, she’s too stubborn not to get what she came back for.

I apologize for rehashing what everyone ha been talking about since the final, but I just needed to get this out.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
:crying: i am.....it is just losing in finals to ppl like halep......
I have to admit, losing is one thing, but losing to the Haleps and Stosurs of the tennis world... just damn. Serena will be back though cause the palate needs cleansing for sure.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Me too.

I thought I was over this loss, but I just can’t believe the performance she put in. I hate to be negative, but I’m still stunned by the fact that she won more games against a peaking Osaka on a hard court than she did against Halep on GRASS.

That was the most un-Serena-like performance I’ve ever seen in a slam final. What the hell was that? No fight, no tactical changes, nothing. Her serve was mediocre and she couldn’t figure out what to do about Halep standing further back to return. She got discouraged at the net after Halep passed her a few times, but that was due to her completely brainless net play. She allowed herself to be a sitting duck at net and just acted like Halep was in god-mode. The instincts were gone and she was shook by Halep of all people. Halep played great, no doubt. But to see a player like Halep get into her head like that was worrying. She was striking the ball increasingly better, but she didn’t believe she could hit past her after the first set. I know she is working hard, even with everything that she has going on in her life. She looks increasingly fitter every time she plays. I just think she has lost the belief in herself and her body to do what she wants to do. Nerves play a part as well, but I don’t think she fully trusts her body yet.

Her footwork is the first thing to go when she gets nervous, and she was not moving her feet at ALL during the final. She needs to do intense work on her footwork this summer. I think better footwork would lessen the strain on her body. She can’t make up for sloppy footwork with her quickness and timing anymore. She’s clearly already putting in the work to slim down. I don’t doubt her drive or work ethic at this point. The ballstriking is there. The serve is there when she’s calm. I think the serve has been increasingly clutch since she has come back. She’s under so much pressure, but if she frees her mind she will win 24 and 25. Like others have said in this thread, she needs to start playing for herself and stop feeling the need to be what the media/ public want her to be. She doesn’t owe the media or the tennis establishment shit. They use her for clout when it’s convenient and denounce her every chance they get. She needs to do what she needs to do to win. I still have faith that she will overcome this and win two more slams. Regardless of everything that has happened, she’s too stubborn not to get what she came back for.

I apologize for rehashing what everyone ha been talking about since the final, but I just needed to get this out.
I agree with you 100%. I can understand the loss to Kerber ( first slam final since pregnancy + nerves + a tough defensive player who has beaten her before in a final) and Osaka ( I do believe Serena could have won the second set but Osaka would have won anyway), but Halep?! I have nothing against her, she is a sweet girl, but this loss was a big step backwards.

I have to admit, losing is one thing, but losing to the Haleps and Stosurs of the tennis world... just damn. Serena will be back though cause the palate needs cleansing for sure.
Honestly, Stosur has a pretty good peak, combined with the scheduling mess I can understand that loss, but winning 4 games against a clay-courter on grass?! Serena has serious mental issues in slam finals.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I think if you take a step back, you can appreciate what Serena’s done. Obviously she isn’t at her peak fitness or play, but she’s made 3 out of the last 5 Grand Slam finals. What other player has done that?

Yes, she is coming up short at the finish line, but no one in history has had the pressure of breaking the “all-time” record and getting closer to retirement like Serena does. She has proven she is a total head case as she is on the cusp of breaking records, and this is the ultimate record she is facing. Getting to 18 and 22 was such a shit show, and this is just a continuation of that. She doesn’t get to play freely like Osaka and Kerber, who are playing for a single grand slam.

Serena is playing for history and to shut down the naysayers. And more recently she’s playing for mother’s and her own daughter, which just adds even more weight to her already heavy legs.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Some fans are still not taking the loss too well. Saying things like get Olympia a babysitter or a full team of nannies. Also from now till the day she retires, just be a tennis player and don't do this extra shit.

Le sigh.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
If Serena wants to win a slam, she has to make sacrifices. If not, then she can keep collecting tea trays.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
What sacrifices would have made the Wimbledon final different? She got to the final for one, so physically she was good. For me it was mental more than anything and that weighed down everything else.

EDIT: Is this more about the branding and business angle?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
What sacrifices would have made the Wimbledon final different? She got to the final for one, so physically she was good. For me it was mental more than anything and that weighed down everything else.

EDIT: Is this more about the branding and business angle?
Yes her business and branding stuff. Along with hiring more nannies for Olympia.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Rena's Army
34,943 Posts
how would hiring a nanny prevent her from choking in the final? I can't believe there is a school of thought that she should drop her child (not her pet) into the care of a nanny so she can satisfy people's desire to see her break a record. what a selfish mindset :unsure: she's a mother first, and a tennis player 2nd. had she been some random woman people would probably call any sort of child services on her if she ignored her child to focus on her career.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
how would hiring a nanny prevent her from choking in the final? I can't believe there is a school of thought that she should drop her child (not her pet) into the care of a nanny so she can satisfy people's desire to see her break a record. what a selfish mindset :unsure: she's a mother first, and a tennis player 2nd. had she been some random woman people would probably call any sort of child services on her if she ignored her child to focus on her career.
People put their children in child care all the time to keep their career progressing. It’s not unfathomable or neglectful for Serena to do so during “work hours”, especially when Alexis could take care of Jr some of those hours.

Balancing ones career and personal life is always a struggle, but how bad does she want it is the question.

The hope is though, that her trouble has truly been the knee and she can get back to her peak fitness and feel more confident in these finals. Itll be interesting for sure.

·
Registered
726 Posts
People put their children in child care all the time to keep their career progressing. It’s not unfathomable or neglectful for Serena to do so during “work hours”, especially when Alexis could take care of Jr some of those hours.

Balancing ones career and personal life is always a struggle, but how bad does she want it is the question.

The hope is though, that her trouble has truly been the knee and she can get back to her peak fitness and feel more confident in these finals. Itll be interesting for sure.
Her daughter probably already has a nanny or even several. It just that she doesn't appear on pictures, lol. Honestly, when you're a millionaire, there isn't any excuse in regards to work/ life balance. You can afford good childcare and if you want travel with your kids. TBH, Serena's issue to me is that she's focused on being a brand/ SJW too much at this point. She gotta choose.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
None of those things are impacting her in Slam final except now how she is pushing her brand during big tournaments and not playing many small tournaments. Every Grand Slam she is having something drop or be released in the middle of the tournament all that does is maybe put more pressure on her as she gets to the final.

And her performance in the finals are clearly all mental. This last one definitely was.

Last Year at Wimbledon she really had no business being in the final and expecting her to beat Kerber while being that outta shape was clownish.
Against Osaka she got outplayed but before the sting of incidents she was settling into that match.
Pliskova and Halep losses were definitely nerves.

Getting a nanny is not fixing that.

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
She needs match play. And to actually win a tournament. Several actually. She did so in 2012 after 2011.

In 2014 she won several, had mishaps at the slams then regained form in the US summer hardcourt swing.

Only way to mentally get that edge back is to have that feeling of winning, in my opinion. And gaining that confidence. She should feel like shes still that bitch even in her most nervous moments.

She had that in 2013 and in 2015. All these nerves started in 2013, whether we want to admit to it or not.

That French final against Sharapova was telling. But she fought through it and was confident in her game , and especially against Pova.

She better play this summer, I know that.

1921 - 1940 of 1953 Posts