Tennis Forum banner

1901 - 1920 of 1953 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Okay it was hard, but I’m ready for this to be the turning point for Ree now. Assuming that she’s completely honest about her knee, Mackie better work his magic and make her get into prime shape this summer. As much the last 3 finals hurt, deep down I know that the draw opened up for her in all 3 slams and she still has not looked movement-wise anywhere near her best. I hope it’s not too much to ask at her age and health status, but I’m ready for her to get super fit and turn this into US Open 2014 2.0, then start going for the golden slam in 2020. LMAO!!! Okay okay, I know, but I can’t help but think about it! I LOVEEEEEEE when Rena proves people wrong time and time again. I’m sure all of us were incredibly emotional after the loss yesterday, just getting furious thinking about the cackling haters, but when I stop to really contemplate, she can only go up from here. I just hope that her team has finally figured out the issue with her knee so that she can properly train. I want that 2012 summer Rena back YAAAASSSSSS. Come on, girl! We’re supporting you every step of the way!!!
Honestly, I just think she should retire. She's not getting any younger. While it's true that girls often tend to peak against Serena, the thing is that these are girls still in their twenties or early thirties whereas Serena is closer to 40, had a child, and had physical issues. Her mental strength and fitness isn't what it used to be.

In any case, even though she lost in all three finals, it was still an extremely good result. There's nothing to be ashamed. Why not retire when you're still at your relative best? Better this than finish like Venus. Besides, Serena has so much going on, at this point, I don't think she has anything to prove on the court. But perhaps, she likes the game that much? Or perhaps, she's afraid what life would be like after retirement?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I hope queen gets her mind right, and I think she knows that's a major part of what she needs to do. I hope her she stays healthy, get a bit more in shape, because that will improve her movement, especially at 37. Amazingly, I dealt with her loss better than I dealt with Roger's. Her draw opened up, and the nerves overwhelmed her, but I was reserving all expectations for the summer and US Open, because I didn't think she had enough matches under her belt. This is one of those losses where she can just throw away the tape, because there is nothing for her to learn from it. Now, Roger is a different damn story. I NEVER root for Roger, but I was this time, and that was such a painful way to lose. I'd rather just be blown out than barely lose.
Lol, me all over and I am still MAD, right about now I wouldn't care if he was hung, drawn and quartered!!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Fair enough. I thought you were saying you disliked him as a person for that reason. But if you weren't, my bad.

Guess this is a "to each, their own" sort of thing.

First: All of us want to be liked and all of us do things to fill that need. That's a point-blank truth.

Second, you keep using the word "begging." I mean, whatever? The man is open about the fact it's important for him to feel valued and appreciated by the people who watch his sport. What's the big deal? It's a mistake to equate how curmudgeonly and difficult and ornery someone is (Murray) with how much pride they must have. No offense but that's borderline Hot Topic edgy teen logic.

I use the term "a beg" as it (and "begfriend") is part of our vernacular and loosely translates as someone who wants to be liked (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=beg)

Also you misinterpreted my comment, I merely stating that Murray was disliked in his own country (actually nation is probably a better word as I am assuming that the Scots have always liked him), but he did not plead with people to like / appreciate him the way Nole does. IMO you have no pride if you're doing that. Of course we all want to be liked, that what his friends and fans are for!!

Finally no offense taken cos Hot Topic edgy teen logic has been totally lost in translation and I am unsure if I even know what this means

·
Premium Member
19,674 Posts
I didn't say that I disliked him though :shrug: I just don't like the way that he begs to be liked. I'm extremely proud, so just don't get this need. If folks don't like me, so be it. Aint no way that I'm begging for it. I have pride!!

Take Murray (& his mother thinking about it), they were hated here at first because they weren't like the Hemnans. But they never begged for it. I just don't like his 'please like me' persona!

I think it's easier for you to say this when your job doesn't require you to play professional tennis in front of millions of people year in year out. All champions (despite their above it all attitude at times) wants to be embraced and loved especially by those who come to see them play. It's unfortunate that Djkovic came at a time when both Federer and Nadal had huge fan bases. He was more like the third wheel who crashed the party and changed the Nadal vs. Federer in every slam narrative. What also didn't help was in Novak's younger days he dared to challenge Federer and was a bit arrogant and confident he could beat him. Some Fed loyalists are still upset about that despite the fact that it happened years ago. I remember when Novak started to defeat Fed and Novak consistently and both fan bases couldn't stand him. Now he's in the way of Olderer getting more slams so he's never going to get the praise deserved until Fed retires.

·
Premium Member
19,674 Posts
Honestly, I just think she should retire. She's not getting any younger. While it's true that girls often tend to peak against Serena, the thing is that these are girls still in their twenties or early thirties whereas Serena is closer to 40, had a child, and had physical issues. Her mental strength and fitness isn't what it used to be.

In any case, even though she lost in all three finals, it was still an extremely good result. There's nothing to be ashamed. Why not retire when you're still at your relative best? Better this than finish like Venus. Besides, Serena has so much going on, at this point, I don't think she has anything to prove on the court. But perhaps, she likes the game that much? Or perhaps, she's afraid what life would be like after retirement?

I don't think Serena will retire because despite her hectic life these days she still enjoys competing. It's in her blood and she's not ready to walk away. You're right, the girls are half her age and she doesn't quite have the same fitness and mental fortitude as she did in the past. This is why I've resolved in my mind that their is a possibility that she might not win another slam again. However, what if it does click in GS finals for her one last time? You never know what might happen as long as she's injury free and progressing I don't see why she should retire now.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Well Serena says she’s close. Seven matches in New York should do it. Come out swinging and take it. Roger losing is a little consolation.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Well Serena says she’s close. Seven matches in New York should do it. Come out swinging and take it. Roger losing is a little consolation.
Her results in finals are getting worse. Losing under an hour to Halep on grass is shocking. Graf, Nav and Evert were still making finals late in their career, but they were also losing them.

I think she's done, physically and mentally. However it's up to her. If she wants to do a Venus then that's her right.

·
Premium Member
20,324 Posts
I mean putting things into perspective. She has reached 3 GS finals since returning from a complicated pregnancy. This is while having little to no match play and being injured. And she has had some good wins at last year's USO, this year's Oz and this Wimbledon. So it isn't just her needing soft draws.

Even a light schedule to get her into a rhythm and match fit will do the trick.

I mean are any of the top ten even getting to GS finals consistently? Just Osaka I think? Serena is putting herself in a position to win one and that's all you can do. Losses in finals are the worst but if you don't even reach them well then 24 is never on the table.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
If she wants success in NY she has to do some work at the summer HC tournaments. IMHO if she doesn't she will lose again. Im not even gonna lie, Im still troubled that THE Serena Williams mustered up only 4 games in a Wimbledon final against Halep. Next month and a half will be quite telling.

·
Premium Member
20,324 Posts
I think she needs to enter two events. Go deep in one and then tank/flop in another.

She has always done well in Canada so hopefully she goes to Toronto this year.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Her results in finals are getting worse. Losing under an hour to Halep on grass is shocking. Graf, Nav and Evert were still making finals late in their career, but they were also losing them.

I think she's done, physically and mentally. However it's up to her. If she wants to do a Venus then that's her right.
Her mindset in finals since she came back is worrying. She’s not mustering up any fight or resistance. For example, nothing in her match against Riske showed up. I’m really at a loss with the switch flip. The fear of losing used to be motivation enough, but now? Especially with an opponent that isn’t close to being superior. I just don’t get it, but I hope and I honestly think Serena will figure it out.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
sports psychologist...go sort out those nerves on a couch in someone's office boo
Seriously. Work it out, get 24, 25, whatever because I’m getting old and I need to retire at some point too so I can watch tennis with no nerves and just a passing interest.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Seriously. Work it out, get 24, 25, whatever because I’m getting old and I need to retire at some point too so I can watch tennis with no nerves and just a passing interest.
amen to that!!! clearly she is open to therapy, so go deal with whatever it is that has her stuck to where she can't perform in certain moments...I don't think it is simply nervousness about getting 24...she dealt with trauma of giving birth one day, to facing the reality that she may not be here to raise that child the next day...that does something to you mentally, emotionally, spiritually...it affects your entire being and you can't always control how and where it shows up...all of this took place less than 2 years ago...I don't think she is at all delusional, if she were, she wouldn't be so obviously upset...I believe her when she says she feels she is getting there...it just may not look the way it's looked in the past

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Some of you are doing too much. :lol:

I get it. We're all bummed out and depressed after 3 missed chances, but let's keep things into perspective. She's BARELY played since returning and still has made 3 GS finals. She's gonna get there. She just needs to get used to playing the more athletic and defensive players again, and play some finals outside of grand slams.

It's gonna happen.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I think she is doing the work. She as noticeably fitter here. The end result seemed more mental than physical.
I have to agree. Those abs were popping through , I truly believe this is the best shape she's been in during this latest comeback. I think it would benefit her to go deeper in these warmup events, though. Get to a final somewhere else and go through the nerves that may or may not show up - but either way just get to that point outside of a slam. I think it shows up in these slam finals that her appearances at other events have been so abbreviated. Her knee has obviously been a huge part of why she hasn't stayed in those tournaments for more than a round or two, so I'm just hoping that it can stay pain-free and allow her to compete for real at the non-slams (and continue to improve her fitness in the meantime).

I was so bummed Saturday, but now that I've taken a step back to put it all in perspective............it's frickin' insane that she's made it to three slam finals with such little prep time ahead of each one. She struggled like hell for 18 and 22, so I still have faith she'll figure it out, but I also don't think it would hurt to look into a sport psychologist (or five). I just want her to look like herself again when she makes GS finals, especially when she plays so freely leading up to those finals. :shrug:

Edit: Forgot to mention the reveal (obviously through Patrick) that she had the knee drained. It's great that it helped with her pain, but does anyone have experience with that sort of thing to know if there are short- or long-term implications of having that done?

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I have to agree. Those abs were popping through , I truly believe this is the best shape she's been in during this latest comeback. I think it would benefit her to go deeper in these warmup events, though. Get to a final somewhere else and go through the nerves that may or may not show up - but either way just get to that point outside of a slam. I think it shows up in these slam finals that her appearances at other events have been so abbreviated. Her knee has obviously been a huge part of why she hasn't stayed in those tournaments for more than a round or two, so I'm just hoping that it can stay pain-free and allow her to compete for real at the non-slams (and continue to improve her fitness in the meantime).

I was so bummed Saturday, but now that I've taken a step back to put it all in perspective............it's frickin' insane that she's made it to three slam finals with such little prep time ahead of each one. She struggled like hell for 18 and 22, so I still have faith she'll figure it out, but I also don't think it would hurt to look into a sport psychologist (or five). I just want her to look like herself again when she makes GS finals, especially when she plays so freely leading up to those finals. :shrug:

Edit: Forgot to mention the reveal (obviously through Patrick) that she had the knee drained. It's great that it helped with her pain, but does anyone have experience with that sort of thing to know if there are short- or long-term implications of having that done?
I've had my knee drained twice (played volley ball in high school and college). I had an injury to a ligament that caused the swelling. Once the swelling is indeed caused by an injury to the ligament, and not some other underlining medical condition, i've never known nor have I ever heard of there being any long term issues. They just tell you to avoid exercise for a few days/weeks, and may give you medication if you are still suffering from pain. I'd bet money that a lot of these Tennis players have had their knee drained at some point. All that sudden stopping and starting, and cutting...

·
Registered
15,380 Posts
Do we really want Serena playing a bunch of hard court tournaments with her knee issues? I think one tournament before the US Open is good enough. Test the knee on the hard courts. She's only really been on soft surfaces (clay and grass) lately and I don't want her to push it too much.

1901 - 1920 of 1953 Posts