Tennis Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
31,162 Posts
I was just thinking she has a great chance to do so. Her draw is not easy, but she's been due for a slam breakthrough since the beginning of 2018 and seems to be playing pretty well. I did not watch today's match, and Kanepi is hot or cold, but beating her easily at a slam is nothing to scoff at. BB will also fly under the radar, which often helps.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Yeah. I think she will. She is probably the strongest player left in the top half. Serena doesn't look like she will last. Bencic is perfect against Riske (R3) and beat her here last year. Then there's Barty (R4), they have never played but Bencic won't be bothered by the slice at all. It will go directly into Bencic's backhand who will swat it on the rise. QF could face Serena, but more likely Suarez. Against either she has an excellent chance. Then, SF could be Sloane or Petra. That could be where it ends for her.

·
Premium Member
39,305 Posts
Riske and Barty, that's the trickiest you can face on grass to reach the quarter. Riske will be the first step to only earn this five stars trophy.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Bencic is out, great comeback from Alison, but a HUGE implosion from Bencic. The biggest thing stopping her from making a slam semi is herself.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Who would have thought that Svitolina, Halep and Pliskova would make it further into the tournament than Bencic? If she can't take advantage of a collapsing draw like this, good luck to her ever delivering a good slam result. Seems like tour level success is enough for Belinda for now.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Honestly, I have to agree that this is the best chance she'll have of reaching a semi for a while. There are a lot of big names in her quarter, but how many of them actually have the form to back it up at the moment?

1R: Pavlyuchenkova has been a walking bye since she beat Sloane in Melbourne - she's earned only 298 points since then. I see absolutely no reason for her to turn things around here.
2R: Kanepi hasn't won a match at Wimbledon since 2014.
3R: Vekic will still be mentally destroyed from her loss in the Nottingham final. She beat Bencic on clay because she had no pressure and Bencic hates the surface more than her, but here she will face the pressure of defending big points for the first time, while Bencic can hit freely. This looks like a straight-forward win to me. Riske has never been to the second week at Wimbledon and this won't change this year.
4R: Barty is the only person she might meet here that could give her problems, but this is a nice matchup for Belinda, as she can use Ashleigh's forehand pace and has the rally tolerance to deal with her slice spam. She would eat Muguruza for breakfast, too
QF: She already beat Kerber on grass this year and she'd eviscerate Serena for her lack of movement. No chance she gives either of these a look at the match.

There isn't actually a single player she could meet in this tournament that she shouldn't expect to win against. I see no reason why she can't make the semi, and once she does that the tournament is essentially hers. Even if Peak Pliskova came to play, which it won't, we saw how that matchup goes in Indian Wells. It'll only be worse on grass.
You've been around long enough to know....THAT IS NOT HOW TENNIS WORKS. Case in point the loss today- more about herself , than her opponent but it's a loss either way.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Yeah. I think she will. She is probably the strongest player left in the top half. Serena doesn't look like she will last. Bencic is perfect against Riske (R3) and beat her here last year. Then there's Barty (R4), they have never played but Bencic won't be bothered by the slice at all. It will go directly into Bencic's backhand who will swat it on the rise. QF could face Serena, but more likely Suarez. Against either she has an excellent chance. Then, SF could be Sloane or Petra. That could be where it ends for her.
Yep. Benc-flop.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Bencic is out, great comeback from Alison, but a HUGE implosion from Bencic. The biggest thing stopping her from making a slam semi is herself.
That's too bad she couldn't get that first GS SF at Wimbledon. Is there going to be a thread for the US Open?

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
That's too bad she couldn't get that first GS SF at Wimbledon. Is there going to be a thread for the US Open?
:devil:

Reactions: jcon86

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
The Hingis-tennis that Bencic plays would have won her slam in the 80s and 90s, not today when players like kaja Juvan are in the draw.
Sorry folks.

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
Obviously not, but there's always USO :wink2:

Reactions: jcon86
41 - 55 of 55 Posts