Tennis Forum banner

121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
27,027 Posts
I'm not sure how to feel about all this to be honest. Such a disappointing end to her Wimbledon campaign. This whole year has been a huge disappointment both performance wise and in terms of her injuries and all. I really hope she gets one last chance to perform well at a big tournament before she calls it quits. Tennis gods need to at least give her that after all she's been through.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
OP is a big jinx for Maria :eek:h:
Jokes aside, I really dont know what else can be said about her body not being able to compete at even 70%. I hope she can find any treatment to be in better shape. Otherwise, just retire and be happy with her business mogul. She has nothing else to prove

·
Registered
52,979 Posts
When Maria retires, I can recommend you to follow 14 yo Linda Fruhvirtova ! ;)

This 2005 girl is very promising, a big Czech hope, played junior Wimbledon this year.

She is a young Maria, the Czech Maria Sharapova :hearts:

Also tall and blonde. Strong groundstrokes, aggressive, hard-hitter.
She has the Sharapova forehand, the Sharapova game. Great fighter attitude too.
Sooo much is like Maria. She reminds me so much of Maria !

She even stumbled all over the court. Cow on ice - like Maria :lol:

Linda has a lot of potential.
Movement and defense are Linda's weakness.
She must play aggressive all the time. Otherwise ...
Also the weaknesses are the same - because they have exactly the same game. lol

Linda Fruhvirtova is impressive and one to watch. I root for her :)

https://www.itftennis.com/juniors/players/player/profile.aspx?playerid=100306100

·
Hard to believe she and Djokovic are the same age.
Yes but Djokovic is in a different universe when it comes to athleticism. Djokovic is in another universe compared to most players tbh.

I couldn't be happier for Novak. So, so glad he won that match. The crowd cheering his double fault was a disgrace, and I actually cannot stand how obnoxious tennis crowds are for Federer these days (Miami 2017 vs Kyrgios anyone?!). And the British tennis media/commentators licking Fed's ass SO much whilst they turn their noses up at Novak. Before the match started I think it was Andrew Castle who said something like "such different players we have here with different personalities, one is calm, collected and so adored by everyone whereas Novak is a bit of a street fighter" I was like :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So yeah, super super satisfying result!

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
As a diehard Novak fan, probably my favorite Slam win. I mean, it's so hard to pick, because boy did he have epic ones, but this was special for so many reasons. Getting to silence that obnoxious crowd and prove to everybody who is probably the mentally toughest tennis player ever (the toss is between him and Nadal IMO, but the odds swing in Novak's favor because of the always present crowd factor and the fact that he is not so surface-dependent with his confidence), he got closer in the GOAT race (for the first time he is just at -4 to Federer if I am correct) and he re-established himself as the man to beat and chase on the Grand Slam scene after that somewhat unlucky French Open.

And the thing I am most happy about, he didn't send those stupid hearts to the crowd, didn't try to play it nice with them, he just had that sort of bad boy smile on his face, and you could see it in his body language that he was so happy that he got to be the party breaker on this Sunday afternoon. You don't have to like him, but you damn well should respect him.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
@Sharapovalov @Tennisvampire Like f*ck me :sad: When he flopped around in that 7-7 game, 5th set, and then those 2 MP coming, I thought he was DONE. But of course he proved me wrong again and again (i'm truly a fake fan ::sobbing:). And that subdued celebration, that smirk while chewing the grass, how he accepted his status as the "villain" and basically say "screw you and your fave", that's the Novak I fell in love with.

One of the happiest day as his fan :sobbing:

·
CGS
7,579 Posts
As a diehard Novak fan, probably my favorite Slam win. I mean, it's so hard to pick, because boy did he have epic ones, but this was special for so many reasons. Getting to silence that obnoxious crowd and prove to everybody who is probably the mentally toughest tennis player ever (the toss is between him and Nadal IMO, but the odds swing in Novak's favor because of the always present crowd factor and the fact that he is not so surface-dependent with his confidence), he got closer in the GOAT race (for the first time he is just at -4 to Federer if I am correct) and he re-established himself as the man to beat and chase on the Grand Slam scene after that somewhat unlucky French Open.

And the thing I am most happy about, he didn't send those stupid hearts to the crowd, didn't try to play it nice with them, he just had that sort of bad boy smile on his face, and you could see it in his body language that he was so happy that he got to be the party breaker on this Sunday afternoon. You don't have to like him, but you damn well should respect him.
@Sharapovalov @Tennisvampire Like f*ck me :sad: When he flopped around in that 7-7 game, 5th set, and then those 2 MP coming, I thought he was DONE. But of course he proved me wrong again and again (i'm truly a fake fan ::sobbing:). And that subdued celebration, that smirk while chewing the grass, how he accepted his status as the "villain" and basically say "screw you and your fave", that's the Novak I fell in love with.

One of the happiest day as his fan :sobbing:
You guys!!! I was in that obnoxious crowd for the final. Seriously I was so mad about everything going on that day except the tiebreaks. I love Wimbledon so bad but I really hate the crowd here, one of the worst for sure.

About the match, I think I could have died because of stress quite a few times. Witnessing it is the worst. I have never been that stressed in my entire life. I was mad at him for being broken at 4-2, for hitting all those pathetic second serve returns. And at 8-7 40-15, after Servebotterer hit 2 aces in a row, I seriously gave up and got really upset. At that time I could only think that I flew all the way from my country in Asia to Wimbledon just to cheer for Novak, how could he do this to me, he was putting me through his worst loss and most painful loss ever. And then I have no idea how he won 7 points in a row, like wtf :lol: I nearly died again in the game at 11-11. His mental toughness is really something else in this match. I have mad respect for our Novak after this.

Love everything about his reaction after winning. Love that smirk while nibbling the grass. Such simple reaction but spoke a lot. It has to be right there with one of my favorite winning celebrations of Novak. My favorite is still the smirk after winning 2015 USO. Love how he did not throw the cringey hearts at the crowd. They seriously did not deserve that. Love how he did not even thank them or mention them during his speech. But when he showed his trophy to the people in the balcony (I ran really fast from inside the CC to be there and recorded everything too :lol:), he was much warmer coz he knew the people who were standing there and yelling his name were truly happy for him and his win.

Oh gosh, Novak really turned what could have been his most painful loss ever into his most satisfying win ever! And I have been following him since 2007. The fact that he saved championship points against Federer (of all people) at Wimbledon (of all places) really made this win the most satisfying for me. I will never ever forget this Sunday afternoon! Now I can finally rest mentally until the USO. This match took a lot out of me :sobbing: He can lose in R2 of both Montreal and Cincy for all I care.

121 - 131 of 131 Posts