Tennis Forum banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
You know, as much as Maria wants another big moment, and as much as I want to see her have a big moment, that will never be possible with all these injuries.
I hate to say it, but if she can't even stay injury free for a month, it might be time to end things.

·
CGS
7,580 Posts
I don’t think she is retiring this year. Probably next year. We’ll see. I give her lots of props for not giving up and still trying to put all those hours in the gym and do all the rehabs, and coping with all these nagging injuries. I wouldn’t be able to do that.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I think there was a moment she walked to her chair early in that third set, I think she was thinking of retiring there, but something told her not to and she ended up just switching her racket, and then calling over the trainer one more time. It’s obvious how much she wants to play but it’s also obvious her body cannot take it anymore. She really needs to get a meeting with her team and decide what to do, because playing at this level she cannot do anymore. What a sad way to end a career.

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
I don't why I bothered with the result thread. People are so demented that I truly wonder who has hurt them. Projecting their own nonsense all over Maria. It's sad tbh.

But yeah that was awful. Heartbreaking, even. I don't think I've ever had a worst slam as far as my WTA faves are concerned. 10 slams between them all and only Anisimova makes the second round :lol:

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Well at least her presser has well and truly reminded me of why I stan her and always will :lol: Even if she did unnecessarily put herself through the vast majority of a third set today potentially worsening a bum arm.

Such a contrast in her she carried herself in her presser despite being clearly heartbroken, versus Osaka (whom I also like). Maria has gone through tonnes and tonnes and will still sit there with her head up and pay respect to the journalists, just as she expects respect from them when she is on the court doing her job. If only many of the young players (Osaka, Ostapenko etc.) and even an ounce of her grit and resilience, instead of whining and crying about spilt milk constantly.

·
Premium Member
27,162 Posts
As much as it pains me to say this...I think it kight be time to hang up the racket. She has given it her all this comeback but her body just doesnt seem to want to cooperate not matter what she does whether that be rest or operations. Sometimes you just have to know when to leave the party.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I feel so sorry for Maria she has been through so much since returning from the ban but I started liking her since she came back in Warsaw in 2009 the fact that she finally won the French Open and completed the Career Grand Slam in Singles in 2012 was incredible, I really wish she could have won her 2nd Wimbledon Singles title in 2011 she really deserves another Wimbledon title its the one Grand Slam I want to see her win again and I know she can do it, I hope she can grab a title during the US Open Series and has a good run at the US Open it would be nice to see her win a 2nd title at Australian Open, Wimbledon & US Open to end her career with 8 Grand Slam Singles titles, I enjoy watching her play and all the negativity she got during her ban and since returning is unnecessary praying so hard for her to recover it would be nice to see her finally win the Roger's Cup where she reached the Final in 2009 (10 years ago).

I so desperately want Maria to win a 2nd Wimbledon Singles title before she retires it would be wonderful to see it happen doing it would make her career come full circle and adding the Olympic Singles Gold Medal would be the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
54,074 Posts
Maria :bigcry:

6-4 5-2 -> 6-4 6-7 0-5 ret. :sad:

Good that she retired. 0-6 would have been embarrassing.

A shame that she can't stay healthy :sobbing:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just watched Maria’s press conference and I don’t think I have ever seen her so upset.
It was pretty clear to me the reason Maria didn’t retire at the start of the third set was that she was just so upset her body was failing her and she didn’t want to give up despite the fact that her left forearm was hurting her bad.

This loss has hurt her so deeply but Maria is so tough mentally she will bounce back and do her best to be ready for the US open series.

I never felt Maria needed to prove anything to anyone after the ban. She has achieved so much in her career and has brought her fans so much joy. I don’t care what anyone says about meldonium or any of that. Maria will always be a fighter and a champion in my eyes.

I know whatever Maria decides in the next few months I will always be grateful for all the years I have watched her play and I really hope she goes on to have a happy and fulfilled life away from tennis with her own family.

I rarely post here these days but got emotional watching her press conference and wanted to put something positive on here amongst a lot of negativity.

Maria is a champion no matter what her future results are and nobody can take that away from her. Maria will always have her treasured memories on the court as will we her fans.

I really hope her body can hold up so that she can continue on next year but that is up to Maria to decide and we must respect her decision.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Yes, quitting and hanging the racquet, sometimes you just have give up and there is no shame in it and now it is time for Maria.

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
It's so sad.

About her forearm, this is annoying :"I haven't really gotten a really good clarification from anyone that I've seen on what really causes it.”
Yeah, this is so strange.
Maybe it's stress or tension related.
It would explain why it suddenly flares up.

·
Can someone translate?
Headline reads:
"Maria it’s enough, call it career !
The best Sharapova can do is to finish her career"

And then Sveta answers on her IG story:

“F*ck !!! I have no words! Aleksey Obramov !!!! Where is your respect ,even a tiny feel of patriotism and gratitude?! Who are U to tell to one of the greatest athletes what to do ? Or give her devices? What have u achieved in your life which gives U right to write this????[1]
“Where is even a tiny support for the athlete who isn’t giving up?!
For someone who has done so muchhh for the sport??? “ [2]

101 - 120 of 131 Posts