Tennis Forum banner

81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
I prefer that she quit at 0-3, but you seem to suggest she had to humiliate herself by eating a bagel, wasting 5 more minutes on court, to be morally acceptable.
It's called honour and etiquette. If you refuse to retire when it's obvious you should then you better prepare to follow through with it and eat a bagel rather than chicken shit out of it.

I'm not surprised in the slightest you don't care about such a thing though.

·
Heaux
29,753 Posts
Retiring at 0-5 is just stupid. Could've done with losing 4 more points to avoid the lashings she is going to get now.

Anyway it was obvious to me that Maria got injured when she let out that abnormally pitched shriek on the last point of Parmentier's service game at 6-4 5-2, her groundstrokes and serve lost all velocity and her attitude completely slumped immediately after so she knew it as well.

What I don't understand is her utter refusal to do something about this damn forearm which has been visibly bothering her since 2015.

·
Registered
12,444 Posts
I don't care about her retiring 5-0 down. It's tacky when you're not injured à la Kerber, not when you can't hit a BH and everyone watching is waiting for you to retire wondering why you haven't already.

Yeah she could and should have won it before injury began to hamper her. Who knows if it would have resurfaced in future matches.

It's done now. We'll wait and see what the hard courts bring.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I am really confused with her injury management.

She is doing all these rehab and lifting and everything and still managed to be unfit for a 2-hr match. Is she using a different body during practice? There is no way she does not know how her body is.

And in Mallorca it was all okay and 2 weeks later back to shit

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
It's called honour and etiquette. If you refuse to retire when it's obvious you should then you better prepare to follow through with it and eat a bagel rather than chicken shit out of it.

I'm not surprised in the slightest you don't care about such a thing though.
I certainly won't learn a moral lesson from a random Scot on a sport forum.

This is not the first time you questioned her morality. I'm quite surprised that such an honorable human being like you keeps following such a morally flawed person like Pova.

·
CGS
7,580 Posts
Tbh I thought she would surely retire at 3-0, I don’t know why she still tried to play 2 more games :lol: She should have known at thay point that there was absolutely no way she could win without her BH. Retiring at 3-0 would have been perfect. She would receive no lashings now.

·
I certainly won't learn a moral lesson from a random Scot on a sport forum.

This is not the first time you questioned her morality. I'm quite surprised that such a honorable human being like you keeps following such a morally flawed person like Pova.
Christ almighty. :cuckoo:

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
I think her injured wrist/forearm hampered her serve by not being able to toss the ball properly. And when one arm hurts badly, the other arm is not able to perform as well as it would.

Anyway, she looked so sad and just tired of the whole damn injury thing. :sad:

·
Registered
14,538 Posts
How frustrating. She wants so badly to prove herself again, but her body just won't allow her to. I hope she has just one more slam run in her, I'm really hoping she does, but I'm not confident of it at all, it seems she can't get her body in good enough condition to compete at this level for any length of time.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
by the way injury or not injury her level was abysmal since the first set, stats don't lie, she won that set with 3 winners, forehand was so tragic that Parmacotto outwinnered her badly :spit:

·
CGS
7,580 Posts
How frustrating. She wants so badly to prove herself again, but her body just won't allow her to. I hope she has just one more slam run in her, I'm really hoping she does, but I'm not confident of it at all, it seems she can't get her body in good enough condition to compete at this level for any length of time.
I’m afraid that that slam run we were all begging for ever since her comeback has already happened: RG last year :tears: Everything was aligning for her at that time. She was playing so well the whole clay season. Serena even withdrew for Maria to get to the QF. She rarely receives WO, let alone in GS, let alone from her nemesis. But then ofc she had to be flat and got spanked hard by Muguruza :lol:

·
Registered
20,918 Posts
Shitty situation but shit happens, it's tennis at the end of the day. I will say that she deserves SO much better than she's gotten to experience so far for the past couple years but it doesn't seem to happen. Just don't ruin your body Maria, we already have plenty of amazing moments to cherish and I'm sure there'll be many more on and/or off courts :hug:
(And I'm not sure if this will make a whole lot of sense lol but I get this feeling like she wants to believe she enjoys/has the desire to keep playing more than she truly does.)

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Only watched the first set, figured she couldn't possibly lose to Parmentier :lol: Actually glad I didn't stick around for the remainder of what sounds to have been a frustrating and painful afternoon. Personally, I don't care that much anymore about her losses, I've come to expect them, but still she deserves a better ending than this, and I really want it for her. I just highly doubt it'll happen. Looking at her groundstrokes they are still pretty clean and fierce, albeit she lost some precision and penetrability (that might come with more matches). But everything else, mainly her serve and her body, seems done.

About the forearm, I can only assume it cannot be treated surgically, otherwise I fail to see why she couldn't deal with it during the shoulder surgery and rehab break. Maybe the recovery would be too long, but then again she already lost basically 5 months, and didn't gain a single thing by coming back on grass (which was to be expected). Obviously didn't see the moment the injury started hampering her, but the potential problem crossed my mind during the first set, at one point she tentatively brushed off the sweat on her dress in a manner very similar as to someone nursing a painful arm, and the one we've unfortunately seen too many times to count.

·
Registered
820 Posts
It's so sad to see Maria couldn't even finish her first match cause of her injurys. I know she wants to prove that she can still do it but at some point Maria have to face the reality. Her body cleary can't handel matches. It look like it's both physical and mental issues.
I know she keep on going but I feel like it would be best for her career and legacy as a tennis player to end her career this year. She had many amazing success in her career.

81 - 100 of 131 Posts