Tennis Forum banner

1701 - 1720 of 1757 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I'm glad to see we are taking this loss relatively well but I don't share your enthusiasm about the USO. It's such an emotional mess for her out there :scared:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
This match was something.

It was SO clear that Serena felt a ton of pressure. Couldn't move her feet. Missing EASY shots. Serve went AWOL after the 125 mph ace. This match remind me so much of the USO 2011 final that was played on the 10 year anniversary of 9/11 and Serena felt pressure to win the tournament as an American. Same stuff there - couldn't move, serve gone, and mentally lost the plot.

Kerber played very well and moved exceptionally well. I think Serena felt so pressed out there. She wasn't winning easy points on serve because 1. her serve wasn't firing at its usual venomous pace all match and 2. Kerber returned from far behind the baseline to give herself more time and margin. So, when the point got started, Serena started to stress. This was evident by her crazy errors at the net and approaching on the wrong shots.

With all of that said, I think this match was a blessing in disguise. So many people were ready to say that she was 100% back when she clearly isn't. She's not as fit as she wants to be yet and she still needs to sharpen a few things. I think now she has a really good idea of what she needs to work on in order to get back to her usual level. The difference between this match and their match in 2016 is that Serena was SUPER fit then and willing to actually play the point and get the right ball. It also helped that she was playing doubles, so her volleys were READY during that match.

I'm not too worried because I know that Serena will NOT let herself go out like this. If there's one thing that hasn't changed about Serena it's her insatiable desire to be on top. She might play it down in public now, but back in the day, Serena would publicly display her disgust with losing and not beating these girls. She wants to control her destiny and that means winning more slams. Today was a disappointment, but it would be a huge mistake to count her out for the rest of her career. She wanted to win so badly today and couldn't get out of her own way. And that's understandable given all that she's been through in the last 10 months.

But the hunger is back and the rest of the tour should be on high alert. We're going to see another resurgence. Serena loves to prove her doubters wrong, but I think she's going to be hungry to prove to herself that she can do this. Take this time to regroup and come back showing these women that you ain't going ANYWHERE until you're ready.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Stop being hypocrit, let’s be honest, it’s a big deception.
Serena’s fans can’t say the win wasn’t the goal. No, I don’t buy it !!
She hates losing, we hate when she loses, especially in final.
And I don’t want to read that «*this year is not the goal*». She kept saying «*I want to play the AO*». Ok, it was absurd, but she said it, she played an exhib in Abhu Dahbi to make a test, she finally said she wasn’t ready 2 weeks before the AO.
Then she wanted to play in IW, in Miami, of course it was awful, but she did it.
Then in RG, she was not far from doing something well, but it happened what it happened.
Finally, she reached the final of wimbledon, she should have won, she just lost her nerves.
Obviously I wanted her to win and of course, she wanted to win. She played badly in the final and yeah, nerves were a part of it, but she's taking the long view and so am I. Her body is still recovering from birth and she's not at her best yet either. But I truly didn't expect for her to get this far when the draw came out. It was her 1st final since the AO and the pressure was immense no matter what she said, so this result while disappointing, isn't the end. And next year is the goal because this year is trying to find the balance between raising her daughter and playing on tour and building back her stamina, as well as seeing how her body holds up for 2 weeks. She did a damn good job.

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Can we all agree that the best part of the match was when Serena left the runner-up trophy on the chair when she left the court LMAO
This is why I stan for this chick.

Don't get me wrong, she completely deserves the L.

But she doesn' t accept the L.

·
Registered
17,906 Posts
I love Serena more than ever after these two weeks and I know she won over many hearts today, the hearts of people who may not have warmed up to her before. Just an all-time special athlete and person and we are so lucky to live in this era and get to see her play. :worship:

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
This match was something.

It was SO clear that Serena felt a ton of pressure. Couldn't move her feet. Missing EASY shots. Serve went AWOL after the 125 mph ace. This match remind me so much of the USO 2011 final that was played on the 10 year anniversary of 9/11 and Serena felt pressure to win the tournament as an American. Same stuff there - couldn't move, serve gone, and mentally lost the plot.

Kerber played very well and moved exceptionally well. I think Serena felt so pressed out there. She wasn't winning easy points on serve because 1. her serve wasn't firing at its usual venomous pace all match and 2. Kerber returned from far behind the baseline to give herself more time and margin. So, when the point got started, Serena started to stress. This was evident by her crazy errors at the net and approaching on the wrong shots.

With all of that said, I think this match was a blessing in disguise. So many people were ready to say that she was 100% back when she clearly isn't. She's not as fit as she wants to be yet and she still needs to sharpen a few things. I think now she has a really good idea of what she needs to work on in order to get back to her usual level. The difference between this match and their match in 2016 is that Serena was SUPER fit then and willing to actually play the point and get the right ball. It also helped that she was playing doubles, so her volleys were READY during that match.

I'm not too worried because I know that Serena will NOT let herself go out like this. If there's one thing that hasn't changed about Serena it's her insatiable desire to be on top. She might play it down in public now, but back in the day, Serena would publicly display her disgust with losing and not beating these girls. She wants to control her destiny and that means winning more slams. Today was a disappointment, but it would be a huge mistake to count her out for the rest of her career. She wanted to win so badly today and couldn't get out of her own way. And that's understandable given all that she's been through in the last 10 months.

But the hunger is back and the rest of the tour should be on high alert. We're going to see another resurgence. Serena loves to prove her doubters wrong, but I think she's going to be hungry to prove to herself that she can do this. Take this time to regroup and come back showing these women that you ain't going ANYWHERE until you're ready.
I know that that Open was 7 years ago, but what still bothers me about that tournament was the rain which changed the schedule which hurt Ree in the long run. I said to myself then Uh oh, she's playing Woz in the semi-finals late tonight. No the match wasn't long as I remember, but it was LATE. She came out looking like it in the 1st set vs Sam and she did drop the 1st set. Ree had a chance to turn the match around in set 2 (Didn't say win), but then she got into the kerfuffel with that ugly inside and out chair umpire Evil Assderaki (Who was fucking with Ree the same way during a WTA tournament match she played vs Sveta a year or so earlier which Ree remembered) :rolleyes: These chair umpires & Ree :eek: The pressure Ree put on herself with it being 9/11's anniversary didn't really cost her the match IMHO. The match wasn't really long with Woz, but the match was played well into the night, and after the late night of Semi-finals tennis, I was worried about the early match start time the next day. My hunch was right. On top of the late night of tennis, Sam played/served solidly all match long, and Ree never did get into the groove (Sam's never done anything after that US Open win. Welp, she got the title forever though so good for her). I was happy and pleased though that Ree FINALLY was getting LOVE/support from a crowd in her OWN country though: NO black while playing tennis, at least that year @ the 2011 US Open :eek:

IF Ree's healthy/fit at this years US Open, things have a chance to go her way and she can make a deep run if not possibly win it, even though the US Open has been the Little Shop of Horrors of tennis tournaments for ha :lol:

The hunger and drive is there. The serve is there. She's getting closer. She has to get more match fit, stay healthy :scared:, KEEP her emotions in check and go after those 2 singles slam wins for HER, and just keep on movin,' playin' & strokin'

·
Premium Member
19,670 Posts
Stop being hypocrit, let’s be honest, it’s a big deception.
Serena’s fans can’t say the win wasn’t the goal. No, I don’t buy it !!
She hates losing, we hate when she loses, especially in final.
And I don’t want to read that «*this year is not the goal*». She kept saying «*I want to play the AO*». Ok, it was absurd, but she said it, she played an exhib in Abhu Dahbi to make a test, she finally said she wasn’t ready 2 weeks before the AO.
Then she wanted to play in IW, in Miami, of course it was awful, but she did it.
Then in RG, she was not far from doing something well, but it happened what it happened.
Finally, she reached the final of wimbledon, she should have won, she just lost her nerves.

SO...why to say this year is not the goal ?
In her mind, I’m sure she thought she could play again earlier. Not later.

She’s back since she stoped breastfeeding and finally lost weight (4kg in one week), since her work with Mackie then with Patrick at the academy.
She realized she has to do something after Miami.

You don't buy what? Serena has said in every press conference during Wimbledon that her goal was to keep improving. She also reminded the media several times that it was only her 4th tournament back and she was just happy to keep progressing. Throughout these past two weeks fans have pointed out issues Serena's had with movement and her return of serve yet she was able to find a way to reach the final. The problem is some of you had the expectation that she would automatically win the final but this isn't the first time Serena has lost a major final after a comeback. It's happened a few times and it was mostly due to nerves. She went out there and all the pressure got to her. She couldn't serve or string together enough points to do anything. I expected their was the possibility of something like this happening but I hoped for the best. All we can do now is pray that Serena keeps improving and gets back in position to win another slam. Now, I'm not so disappointed in this result simply because I don't necessarily think Serena was mentally ready to win another slam today but with more match play and preparation she'll get there.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
You don't buy what? Serena has said in every press conference during Wimbledon that her goal was to keep improving. She also reminded the media several times that it was only her 4th tournament back and she was just happy to keep progressing. Throughout these past two weeks fans have pointed out issues Serena's had with movement and her return of serve yet she was able to find a way to reach the final. The problem is some of you had the expectation that she would automatically win the final but this isn't the first time Serena has lost a major final after a comeback. It's happened a few times and it was mostly due to nerves. She went out there and all the pressure got to her. She couldn't serve or string together enough points to do anything. I expected their was the possibility of something like this happening but I hoped for the best. All we can do now is pray that Serena keeps improving and gets back in position to win another slam. Now, I'm not so disappointed in this result simply because I don't necessarily think Serena was mentally ready to win another slam today but with more match play and preparation she'll get there.
Completely agree, plus Serena herself said earlier on in this comeback that 2019 is the year by which to judge her level. She has a long-term plan and she's sticking to it, for better or worse. It makes it even more remarkable that she was able to reach this stage at a slam so quickly - she truly wasn't expecting it.

Totally separate topic, but I had missed this yesterday and it's too cute not to post. This is why Alexis Sr. was spot-on in that she has the greatest trophy waiting for her at home. :hearts:

http://instagr.am/p/BlL59vqHxBe/

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I’m just sad for Serena. She puts too much pressure on herself. It’s not even been a year since Olympia’s birth and she’s only played four tournaments. She’s done very well to make it this far. I hope she will feel better as I’m sure she’s taking this loss hard.

Win or lose, we’re with you all the way! :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
I loved Steffi. Got to see her playing live when she was that chick. However, after Monica got stabbed, she really wasn't playing anyone to be that nervous about. That CYGS was made easier without Monica. The only match in which I saw her with what I thought was a bit of nerves in was the loss the '90 US Open finals loss to Sabitini. But friends who were in boxes only 3 rows behind Steffi's chair said that Stefanie came out looking uninterested. She was never a smiling-type person anyway, so how could they tell? :lol: Friends swore (To this day too) that the reason she lost was that she wasn't there early and only decided to fight in set 2. Too late then. Meanwhile, Sabatini came out on fire, showing positive body language, trying new things and playing well from the start, so it's hard to say that Steffi felt nerves for that match or was just flat and uninterested because she owned Sabatini. After that match, Sabintni went on a win run vs Steffi interestingly enough.

As for Ree putting too much pressure on herself, that is always going to be true no matter what she does. Hopefully, she can strike a balance again (Like when she passed Chris/Martina) with what she's doing is for HERSELF to bag those final 2 singles slams to catch then pass Court. And, as for her accepting her losses, Ree HAS improved for sure, but she still hates to lose :lol: Her presser was so mature if you can say that. But she now has Sr. to talk with and she has Jr. to hold, cuddle and kiss, so that will take the sting out of her losing today vs Angie for sure :inlove: But remember, great athletes take losing worse than someone like us would :lol: Me, I'm good because I'm just happy Ree is still HERE playing tennis for at least 2 more years if healthy. TBH, even if she had won today, she still would have won with much less match play than she needed. After Ree finally retires, it will hit me hard :bigcry:
I'm still not over that loss to Sabatini :lol: Also jealous that you saw her live; out of all of my faves she's the only one that I never saw :crying2:

I said this at 22 and I'll say it again, she will get to 25, I really believe that.

By the looks of things this final is going to be over before the World Cup Final starts :bounce:

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,113 Posts
I can't even enjoy this men's match because of yesterday. :sobbing:

I have nothing against Anderson but I'm hoping that this match stays lopsided. People will start campaigning even harder for a 5th set TB.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I can't even enjoy this men's match because of yesterday. :sobbing:

I have nothing against Anderson but I'm hoping that this match stays lopsided. People will start campaigning even harder for a 5th set TB.
TBH I'd struggle to enjoy this one sided match even if Serena had won!!

I don't want a 5 set TB not at 6 all anyway. However I never, ever want to experience that shit show that was that last set, so I'm in a quandary

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,113 Posts
TBH I'd struggle to enjoy this one sided match even if Serena had won!!

I don't want a 5 set TB not at 6 all anyway. However I never, ever want to experience that shit show that was that last set, so I'm in a quandary
TB at 9-9 seems like the best compromise to me. They can play an extended 5th if it's a final and the winner won't have to worry about recovering. These 70-68, 26-24 final sets hurt the quality of the sport when the winner is a walking bye in the next round.

Though at least Anderson has found some energy over the past half hour.

·
Registered
787 Posts
TB at 9-9 seems like the best compromise to me. They can play an extended 5th if it's a final and the winner won't have to worry about recovering. These 70-68, 26-24 final sets hurt the quality of the sport when the winner is a walking bye in the next round.

Though at least Anderson has found some energy over the past half hour.
Whilst I'm pleased that this set is more competitive, I'm forced to watch the World Cup on my laptop :mad:

I'd go for 12 all, but the problem with this scenario is that I fear that ppl would play for the tie break similar to the way that they play for a penalty shoot out in football

1701 - 1720 of 1757 Posts