Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Veelieve!!!
32,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reuters
May 3 2003 7:34AM

PARIS, May 3 (Reuters) - Richard Williams, who turned his daughters Serena and Venus into the undisputed queens of women's tennis, warned they would be around for a long time and win all the grand slams tournaments in sight.
In an interview with L'Equipe Magazine on Saturday, the outspoken American accused the tennis world of being "disturbed" by his daughters' success.

"We'll always be around. There are tournaments we're going to skip but we'll play and win all the grand slams," he said.

"In the six or seven years to come, we won't leave anything to anybody, or only by pure chance.

"Yes, they're going to win about everything. I looked at the juniors and I did not see anyone coming up. Nothing can stop us," he said.

Serena and Venus rose to numbers one and two in the world last season and played the last four grand slam finals, Serena beating Venus each time.

Williams said the tennis world and the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) were not pleased about their arch-domination.

"So women's tennis is getting boring. And you know why? Because two lovely black women dominate it.

"They're better than the white girls and that's intolerable. It's downgrading, lamentable," he said.

Williams said his daughters were the victims of racist prejudice from within the tennis world.

"They're disturbed by our being there. They've tried everything they could to tame us, to recuperate us and when they couldn't, they said I was a mad man," he said.

He said Serena and Venus were first accused of being arrogant and were now facing more criticism and insinuations.

"Have you never heard people say: 'They're physically too strong not to have taken doping'?

"Now it's a new story. They say: 'The Williams sisters dominate tennis so much they're going to kill the show, to kill tennis'.

"And I say to all the old white guys, why don't you leave the stands?," he said.

Williams added that his daughters were dominating the game because they had stolen the best shots from their rivals.

"The whites have always said that black people were robbers. My daughters are robbers. They're going to rob you of your best shot and make it our best shot.

"My daughters are the best two robbers in the world," he said.

05/03/03 07:33 ET

I personally sometimes believe that Richard is a few eggs short of a dozen, but so far everything he's predicted has come true, so I won't be betting against him :p Love him or hate him , he's telling the truth as he sees it.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Why can't he keep his opinions to himself? :eek:

Must he bring race into every single issue - the girls are top of the tree right now, why even get involved? Also, what if Venus or Serena DON'T win every GS for the next 7 years...

·
Veelieve!!!
32,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cooolconchita said:
Why can't he keep his opinions to himself? :eek:

Must he bring race into every single issue - the girls are top of the tree right now, why even get involved?
Well everyone is entitled to their opinion whether we like it or not. :p

Also, what if Venus or Serena DON'T win every GS for the next 7 years...
Many think he is a mad man, so this will be cause for the men in the white coats to pick him up :eek:

·
Registered
991 Posts
LOL - I wouldn't call him mad - i'd say the right word is eccentric :)

He's like that Uncle that everyone has who dances funny at weddings, says the most inappropriate things, but is a loveable scamp! ;)

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've been so happy lately while he's kept his mouth shut, and now he had to come back.

I give him a lot of credit for what he has created, but man is he an arrogant classless individual. The girls carry themselves beautifuly around the world and he just has to come and screw everything up.

Yes, he has the right to say whatever he wants, and he has the right to express his opinion, but there are ways to do it without offending anybody.

Threre is only one thing Capriati said that I agree with: this man is no class. Thank God the girls are perfect examples of what world athletes are. I don't know how they turned out to be this way given the fact that he raised them. I am assuming it was Oracene's job to teach how to behave properly. They sure didn't learn it from him.

Oh man I can't stand him.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
does anybody care what he says--i take most things he says with a pinch of salt--in 7 more years venus will be 29 going on 30--i doubt she will be even playing. I think the results for the rest of this year will show how good the williams sisters are--everybody has there good years, hingis 97, Venus 2000,Capriati 2001, monica (way back when) and 2002 goes to serena.

·
Registered
12,095 Posts
LMAO! you go Richard!

He's so telling the truth, and like always some people will go against him, duh it's so obvious.. Fight them Richard.. Show now what a an old black man can do! :bounce: :bounce:

·
Premium Member
19,755 Posts
Reuters
May 3 2003 7:34AM

Williams said the tennis world and the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) were not pleased about their arch-domination.

"So women's tennis is getting boring. And you know why? Because two lovely black women dominate it.

"They're better than the white girls and that's intolerable. It's downgrading, lamentable," he said.

Williams said his daughters were the victims of racist prejudice from within the tennis world.

"They're disturbed by our being there. They've tried everything they could to tame us, to recuperate us and when they couldn't, they said I was a mad man," he said.

He said Serena and Venus were first accused of being arrogant and were now facing more criticism and insinuations.

"Have you never heard people say: 'They're physically too strong not to have taken doping'?

"Now it's a new story. They say: 'The Williams sisters dominate tennis so much they're going to kill the show, to kill tennis'.

"And I say to all the old white guys, why don't you leave the stands?," he said.
LOL. Richard is crazy like a fox. I agree with the statements above, but I don't believe that the sisters will win everything for the next 7 years. A few others will sneak in and win a few big ones IMO. But I do agree with Richard when he talks about all the resentment over the sisters dominating the game.

I tend to think Richard and Oracene were a fine balance for the sisters. Richard taught them self belief and confidence, while Oracene taught them class and etiquette. Both sides come out in Serena, you see her make bold statements but she does not attack anyone else. While Venus on the other hand has that self belief and confidence, but does not engage in making bold statements. She just remains stately and regal.

Anyways, I was waiting for Richard to say something. I knew he would reappear at one point or another. He has been silent too long, and I knew something was coming.

·
Registered
9,981 Posts
He cans say anything if nothing goes wrong, otherwise, please shut his mouth up. Stop being that cocky, i am sick of it. Kim, Justine, Amelie....
they all have shots to outplay them. I mean i have so much respect to Venus and Serena, but what Richard have just said is bullshit.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have the impression that this guy is a racist himself or a very frustrated person. It would certainly be seen as racism if a white person would say words like this about black people.
And the Williamses are going to dominate and take every grandslam for the coming seven years? He doesn't give much credit to their opponents, that's clear. If somebody else wins then it will be "by pure chance". Wishful thinking, nothing more.
And if that's the only thing he can say then he should better shut up. He doesn't do his girls any favour with it.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Richard, Richard, Richard...!!!???!!!

:cool: :cool: HaHaHaHaHaHAH......aaaahhhHaHaHaHaHAH :hearts: :hearts:

You go Richard, with your craaazzeee self...!!!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Why is it bothering ya'll so much? LOL! Why let someone else's opinion cause you to have a migraine? Richard has been away for a long time...now he's back and still has this "gotcha" effect on some people. Richard this, Richard that....so what! The real focus is Venus and Serena's domination of women's tennis. Richard just provides comic relief.

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
Richard, you go on with your crazy self! That brightened up my morning! :bounce: :bounce:

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
So XMan...!!!

XMan said:
I have the impression that this guy is a racist himself or a very frustrated person. It would certainly be seen as racism if a white person would say words like this about black people.
And the Williamses are going to dominate and take every grandslam for the coming seven years? He doesn't give much credit to their opponents, that's clear. If somebody else wins then it will be "by pure chance". Wishful thinking, nothing more.
And if that's the only thing he can say then he should better shut up. He doesn't do his girls any favour with it.

XMan, by merely stating the "truth", you call Richard "racist??? Richard has not "called" anyone "out of their name", nor has he demeaned anyone with his "tirade". He has only stated what is "fact" and is quite evident by reading threads on this very message board. Why people refuse to "admit" that racism exist in the WTA, although it has gotten better, is beyond me. You might not want to "hear" it, but that does not make it go away. Richard is only being "realistic"! That's why his daughters have been able to "overcome" the negativity they encountered in the WTA; Richard and Oracene, as did most black parents, prepared their daughters for the real world. It's as simple as that.

You may not always agree with what Richard says, but, he certainly has the "right" to say it. And, given that he's actually experiencing it, gives him a much better perspective as to the real issues. Having said all that, I too think, Richard is crazy as a fox!!!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
It's no different than Muhammad Ali making bold statements. I find it funny and a look at what is to come in the near future.

I see him as being bold enough to state his goal and even more creative in getting there. It's not that he is mad or classness cos I don't see where prediction and self confidence is a lack of class.

I don't expect him to say that Kim and Justine is gonna dominate his daughters. Why would he say that? The man is the one setting the standard and creating the challengers, he is really motivating someone to prove him wrong. Why would someone buckle up and hide when a real challenger would make it their business to compete against them. I don't see where he is disrespectful and classless.

I find it really entertaining and a breath of renewed fresh air. For a while it was boring and unlike Mr.Dokic where he was an off court embarrassment, I find and will always place Richard in a different class.

Richard has never embarrassed his girls by getting thrown off the grounds. I imagined when Venus won Usopen and he danced, I would have danced too since Venus finally accomplished something he longed for her to accomplished.

I don't see where he is being wrong in expressing emotion. Nowadays when players win even a small tourney, they jump up and down and go over to the stands and thank their parents. So please when others start to win grand slams and they party rejoice, will you find fault then?

I am and always will be a fan of Richard, he sees what the normal person doesn't see. If I remember correctly, he was the first to say that Hingis needed wheels for her feet, and guess what? She retired with foot problems. He stated the case with the other players and why they won't dominate such as Capriati's mental problems...he has been right so far. Listen to him and improve your game, afterall how could the parent of two grand slams powerhouses be wrong?

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I dont know where richard got the drugs debate from, i have never seen a newspaper or TV program or anything to do with the media say anything about the possibility of the william sisters taking drugs. :confused:

Since this man is the dad of venus and serena- yu think he would learn to say things more diplomatically, only cos venus and serena will bound to be asked about his comments, it must be a distraction for them.

They're better than the white girls and that's intolerable. It's downgrading, lamentable," he said-this is just a stupid statement

Another thing i have never heared or read anything by another player or tournement director about them being black (in a negative way) even though Hingis said something about them getting indorsement deals. these people arent stupid, if they want to appeal to the black community who better than the best tennis players in the world :rolleyes: ,they wouldnt spend that much money if they werent getting anything out of it (yu can act naive and say it was nothing to do with there colour, but i am sure it played a part). where is this racism they are supposed to be suffering??, i remember the indian wells director saying that the biggest question being asked was "when are the william sister going to play here again", if this is at the most racist tournement according to some posters--the williams sisters have nothing to worry about.

It seems people are willing to say racism exists out there and the william sisters have to face it, but where is it?, where are the banners saying william sisters go home, the booing of the crowd when they win. I think the only racism the william sisters have to face are from the people sitting in thier home with there small opinion, none of which effects them directly.

:wavey:

contary to my signature i dont hate the william sisters, to win and play as good as they do is amazing, but as a non-fan i like to see other winners (my faves) (and anyway the signature is more sarcastic than anything else).

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Also to add is that when other players dominated it was because they were white and had the ability to get proper training since they were white and blacks especially in the states couldn't afford it. He proved them wrong and now everyone is screaming foul. He is racist cos he spoke about the racism on the tour. I don't find that to be- if a man come to you with an issue and describe it why would you say it ain't so or he shouldn't talk about it. Maybe you should look within yourself and ask why it makes you feel uncomfortable. He should keep bringing attention to the situation until it disappears.

How is Richard racist? It doesn't make any sense as to why he is considered racist for talking about racism. He never said anything racist. I don't understand the conclusion that he is racist. He is the one on the inner circle and we are not. If it wasn't there I don't see him as one to say something not true afterall it's his daughters who have the sponsors and the image to live up to. It would damage them if it wasn't.

Everyone said just what he said that it is boring cos the sisters dominate. I have heard so many commentators say this. How is it boring? Tell those other players to improve their game. The only player I find to take this to heed is Meghann, who went out and improve her game.... and also Amelie. The other girls should realize that this is no longer the country club but rather a competitive sport. They need to stop complaining about they were so strong and all the other wussy shit. Stop crying and start playing. The era of Chris Evert is over and the days of Navrartilova is upon us.......get used to it.

·
Banned
263 Posts
Hate him, like him, be angry at him but what's always evident is that he's a loving father. He's more than willing to bear the brunt of criticism on his daughters' behalf and for that, he should be commended. That's true love and dedication to your bloodlines.

Reactions: Equinox
1 - 20 of 50 Posts