Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
54,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/Displayarticle.asp?xfile=data/sports/2006/February/sports_February304.xml&section=sports&subsection=tennis

Williams sisters ready to hit it off in Dubai
By A Correspondent

13 February 2006

DUBAI — Serena and Venus Williams have paid the Dubai Tennis Championships the greatest compliment possible by agreeing to make another tournament appearance together. Playing in Dubai together for the first time last year, the greatest sister act in tennis history will return to the Emirate for a chance to take a share of the $1,000,000 prize money in the Dubai Duty Free Women’s Open.

The charismatic superstar sisters, who rarely agree to play at the same tournaments together, will be amongst the biggest stars to set foot on the Dubai tennis stage when the tournament gets underway on February 20. “The Williams sisters are two of the biggest superstars in the game and to have both of them returning to Dubai is great news for everyone,” said Colm McLoughlin, managing director of Dubai Duty Free.

Serena competed in Dubai following positive reports from her sister Venus who had played here twice before.

And Serena loved every moment of her first visit to Dubai.

“Last year we went to Wild Wadi, and we had so much fun,” she said.

“We also went to Dubai Duty Free, which was really cool.”

“It was just great fun to be there and I really enjoyed myself.”

Serena and Venus Williams will join former world No. 1 and defending Dubai champion Lindsay Davenport, Olympic gold medalist and two-time Dubai title holder Justine Henin-Hardenne, Russian superstar Maria Sharapova, the in-form Martina Hingis, as well as rising Indian sensation Sania Mirza. “We certainly have a superb line-up and it is only a week until the world’s greatest tennis players will be battling it out at the Dubai Tennis Stadium,” said Mr McLoughlin.

The Dubai Women’s Open precedes the 14th staging of the ATP Tour event, which begins on February 27th and features tennis legend Andre Agassi, world No. 1 Roger Federer, Spaniard Rafael Nadal and the big hitting Russian Marat Safin.

The Dubai Tennis Championships is owned and organised by Dubai Duty Free and takes place under the patronage of His Highness Shaikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai.

Reactions: FWTATOUR

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
Spiceboy,
You. . .like. . .umm. .. .REALLY. . . .umm.... post a lot on the WS.

·
Registered
54,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pureracket said:
Spiceboy,
You. . .like. . .umm. .. .REALLY. . . .umm.... post a lot on the WS.
I post any women's tennis article I find on the web and hasn't been posted yet here...believe me, I'm not a Williams lover nor hater despite what people believe here

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
good article, i'm interested to see what happens with this high powered field with serena and martina floating as unseeded players

Reactions: FWTATOUR

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
spiceboy said:
the greatest sister act in tennis history will return to the Emirate for a chance to take a share of the $1,000,000 prize money in the Dubai Duty Free Women’s Open.

"chance", my ass. The Williams are probably getting a million bux win or lose, just for showing up.

·
49,001 Posts
Dubai 2005 was a travesty. I'm glad their comments suggest that they will be going to Dubai for the purpose of playing good tennis and to hopefully win the tournament.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
with serena's ranking now, i'm just waiting to see who she plays. how do i get the gut instinct that she'll be playing either hingis or jhh in the 1st round and venus in the second if she was to win?

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
davidmario said:
What about Venus' injury??? :rolleyes:
You mean the undisclosed "sprained ligament"? A large briefcase full of under-the-table cash can cure a lot of ailments, you know.*

*Yes, I realize that the other big names (Serena, Hingis, Sharapova, Henin-Hardenne) are also being "persuaded" by the tournament organizers to show up.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
darrinbaker00 said:
You mean the undisclosed "sprained ligament"? A large briefcase full of under-the-table cash can cure a lot of ailments, you know.*

*Yes, I realize that the other big names (Serena, Hingis, Sharapova, Henin-Hardenne) are also being "persuaded" by the tournament organizers to show up.
Justine's doing it for free. It's part of her "Apology Tour." Hope they've got the Belgian Embassy battened down over there...

:wavey:

Reactions: darrinbaker00

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
faste5683 said:
Justine's doing it for free. It's part of her "Apology Tour." Hope they've got the Belgian Embassy battened down over there...

:wavey:
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

You know what this really means, don't you? PIERRE AND SERENA GO SHOPPING!! ;)

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
darrinbaker00 said:
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

You know what this really means, don't you? PIERRE AND SERENA GO SHOPPING!! ;)
I'm soooooo tired of the gay-man-loves-to-shop stereotype!

*Pureracket shuts down his computer in order to catch that Tuesday Sale @ Banana Republic :bolt:*

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
Pureracket said:
I'm soooooo tired of the gay-man-loves-to-shop stereotype!

*Pureracket shuts down his computer in order to catch that Tuesday Sale @ Banana Republic :bolt:*
Don't forget to buy some flannel shirts for Rennae Stubbs..... ;)

Meanwhile, back on topic.....since Serena will be unseeded, there's a possibility that she could draw Venus in the first round if Venus doesn't have a first-round bye. How do you guys feel about THAT?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts