Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Williams sisters enter US Open; Kournikova out

.c The Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) - Defending champion Serena Williams and her sister Venus were among 101 of the top 104 female players in the world officially entered in the U.S. Open on Thursday.

Martina Hingis, the 1997 champion, Anna Kournikova and Tatiana Panova are the three players who withdrew.

Hingis hasn't played in a WTA Tour event since October because of foot injuries and might never compete again but is still ranked 101st. Kournikova, ranked 77th, has been sidelined with a hurt back.

Serena Williams will be aiming to win her sixth title in seven majors. She beat 2000-01 U.S. Open champion Venus in last year's championship match at Flushing Meadows.

Other past major champions on the entry list announced Thursday include Monica Seles, Jennifer Capriati, Lindsay Davenport, Justine Henin-Hardenne, Conchita Martinez, Mary Pierce and Iva Majoli.

The men's entry list, released Wednesday, didn't include defending champion Pete Sampras. He has withdrawn from every tournament since he won his record 14th major title at last year's U.S. Open.

The seedings and draw will be announced during the week before the tournament, which begins Aug. 25.

07/24/03 17:38 EDT

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press.

·
Don't mess with Texas!
4,900 Posts
Martina? Huh? I thought it was a known fact that is she gone.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
99 out of the Top 100 men entered the US Open - the only player missing was the defending champ. I think that's amazing. Has there ever been a 100% participation rate of the Top 100 men?

Poor Tatiana is suffering from a schizophrenic disorder, believing she was the victim of a stalker. She was rumoured to be recovering in Melbourne, Australia.

·
Registered
12,908 Posts
Fantastic said:
99 out of the Top 100 men entered the US Open - the only player missing was the defending champ. I think that's amazing. Has there ever been a 100% participation rate of the Top 100 men?

Poor Tatiana is suffering from a schizophrenic disorder, believing she was the victim of a stalker. She was rumoured to be recovering in Melbourne, Australia.
I dont think so. Haas will also not play, and i think more will withdraw before then.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Anna! :(
Martina! :(
Tatiana! :(

Come back soon!

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
poor tatiana :sad:

i think haas johansson and canas will also withdraw

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Has Anna been playing WTT matches? Her back must be decent, right? Any possibility she will enter the Open doubles? Maybe she can play her way back that way...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.