Tennis Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think there are several factors that contribute to the seemingly frequent injuries of Venus and Serena:

1 ) In Venus' case, she is a tall, lanky player. The taller an athlete is, the more injury prone they tend to be. usually, the more compact players do not incur as many injuries. Plus, Venus is slim, so the fact that she is both tall and slender means her body will break more easily than the average player.

2 ) Both sisters play an intense power game. Their style alone puts their bodies under constant strain. This is compounded by the fact that they are women.

3 ) Light schedule. Because they both choose to skip many events, they tend not to be in as great of shape as the rest of the field. Following a month or so of not playing, the shock of full blown competitive play can wreak havoc on their unconditioned muscles. Practice just isn't a substitute for real competition.

4 ) Perception. Many top players do not announce their injuries, and they play with pain so as not to alert the competition; plus, they value rankings points. The Williams sisters, on the other hand, do not hesitate to pull out of events when they feel they are in less than 100% physical condition.

So, the fact that they are more willing to pull the trigger than the average player, skipping tournaments at the slightest hint of injury ( and inevitably making an announcement of such ) results in a public perception that they are more injury prone than they really are.

H-man

· Registered
12,908 Posts
I think that is right. Bigger players with power games are much more prone to injuries, for example Davenport, Pierce, Williamses etc. They put much more effort into hitting every stroke hard, so each point has a lot of strain on their bodies. In the Williams sisters case, they attempt to run for every ball, and use their athleticism to cover the court well, and this also results in extra strain for their bodies.
When Serena was injured in Sydney last year she was actually making so much effort to run for a great drop shot that Meg did, most players would have just given up, but Serena ran for it, and ended up twisting her ankle and missing the AO. And she lost that point anyway but she still needed to make effort for it :rolleyes:

· Registered
20,884 Posts
I believe they are injury prone becaue of their unwilliness (Venus, moreso than Serena) to play more tornaments. I think if they did, they wouldn't get injured so much.

· Registered
839 Posts
funny as it seems, you guys are both right. The common link is "practice". It is evident that the sisters play less tournaments, hence it follows that they probably practice less also. How many hours a day do they practice? I bet most players practice longer hours than they play matches. It is the practice that will keep players in shape, not playing tournaments.

· Registered
6,762 Posts
Experimentee said:
I think that is right. Bigger players with power games are much more prone to injuries, for example Davenport, Pierce, Williamses etc. They put much more effort into hitting every stroke hard, so each point has a lot of strain on their bodies. In the Williams sisters case, they attempt to run for every ball, and use their athleticism to cover the court well, and this also results in extra strain for their bodies.
When Serena was injured in Sydney last year she was actually making so much effort to run for a great drop shot that Meg did, most players would have just given up, but Serena ran for it, and ended up twisting her ankle and missing the AO. And she lost that point anyway but she still needed to make effort for it :rolleyes:
i cant believe you are criticizing her for making the effort to run for a ball. :rolleyes:

· Registered
713 Posts
Injuries are caused by:

a) accidents
b) poor technique
c) too little match fitness/practice

This is just my opinion. I do think though that power players are not simply prone to more injuries because of the power, it is more likely to be poor technique (see Venus and her service action).

· Registered
11,079 Posts
Experimentee said:
Actually i think if they played more tournaments it follows that they would have more chances to get injured more.
I don't think that's the case. I believe the reason they get injured a lot is because they are not playing enough.

Most of their injuries come after long layoffs.

Venus is Australia, always has her knees taped.

Venus' abdominal injury came after, about, a month off.

Serena's knee injury, always happens after Wimbledon where she has a month off.

Venus' leg injury last year at the Season End Champs, almost two months off.

If anything, they should fill something in between those gaps, whether it's exibitions in December, or more tournaments in the other months.

· Registered
3,002 Posts
The Hypocricy is just redicoulous in this thread. You say the Williamses get injured because of Little practice, I take it that you have lived with the girls and actually know their practice schedules rigght? :rolleyes: You say poor technique is the problem, what poor technique? I dont think Kim being a cross between a cheerleader and acrobat on the court sometimes is exactly the textbook technique either, but I dont see anybody critizising her for it. :rolleyes: And then some of you want to critizize Serena for trying to run down a ball? :rolleyes:

· Banned
1,632 Posts
Hingisman said:
I think there are several factors that contribute to the seemingly frequent injuries of Venus and Serena:

1 ) In Venus' case, she is a tall, lanky player. The taller an athlete is, the more injury prone they tend to be. usually, the more compact players do not incur as many injuries. Plus, Venus is slim, so the fact that she is both tall and slender means her body will break more easily than the average player.

2 ) Both sisters play an intense power game. Their style alone puts their bodies under constant strain. This is compounded by the fact that they are women.

3 ) Light schedule. Because they both choose to skip many events, they tend not to be in as great of shape as the rest of the field. Following a month or so of not playing, the shock of full blown competitive play can wreak havoc on their unconditioned muscles. Practice just isn't a substitute for real competition.

4 ) Perception. Many top players do not announce their injuries, and they play with pain so as not to alert the competition; plus, they value rankings points. The Williams sisters, on the other hand, do not hesitate to pull out of events when they feel they are in less than 100% physical condition.

So, the fact that they are more willing to pull the trigger than the average player, skipping tournaments at the slightest hint of injury ( and inevitably making an announcement of such ) results in a public perception that they are more injury prone than they really are.

H-man
Go head! :worship: As a fan of the sista's I think u was fair in talkin bout their whole deal with injuries. It just always makes me amazed at them that they can still go out and win the Slams even after bein out for awhile because of injuries. That why I aint even worried bout Miss Rena cuz she'll come back and get back to winnin again. :cool:

· Registered
6,762 Posts
interesting. now how do you explain hingis, kournikova, lindsay, chanda, monica, steffi, etc...etc...

· Registered
1,398 Posts
Thanks, Cybelle---Don't forget to add Jennifer to that list. What a bunch of "why an injury occurs" BS!

· Read Only
15,328 Posts
I think you have some valid points, but at the end of the day it is just down to the strain of competition. I once started a similar topic wondering aloud if the decision for them to skip junior competition had on some way contributed to their bodies developing in such a way that they had suffered too much strain in such an intense burst and that that could have made them more injury prone, but some mad person found something offensive in the suggestion and the thread died :confused:

· Registered
851 Posts
Actually, I've heard commentator like McEnroe, Shriver and Carillo say that the Williams sisters practice quite a bit. Plus Richard doesn't seem like the type of coach who would let them shrug off practice. Another thing, the hitting partners are always at their matches, I would think that if they didn't practice all that much they wouldn't be that close to their hitting partners.

I just think they get injured because of their size. Larger players are more prone to injury ie. Davenport, Safin, Todd Martin etc. Hard courts are very rough on the body. Most American players spend the majority of their careers on hard courts from the moment they first step on a tennis court as a child to the moment they retire. These two factors add up to more foot, knee, leg, and back injuries. Poor technique on your groundstrokes make you more prone to things like wrist, elbow and shoulder injuries more than lower body injuries.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.