Tennis Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<center>
</center>

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA (TICKER) -- While recording their respective dominating victories, Venus Williams and Martina Hingis announced their designs on the Australian Open title.

The second-seeded Williams conquered No. 13 Magdalena Maleeva of Bulgaria, 6-0, 6-3, on Sunday, while third seed Hingis demolished No. 15 Amanda Coetzer of South Africa, 6-1, 6-0, in the fourth round of the Grand Slam event.

Williams drove over the potential roadblock posed by Maleeva. Known for dominating most of her opponents, the American had lost two of her three previous meetings with Maleeva, including a straight-sets ouster at last year's Nice Indoor event.

"The last time we played was a great day for her and not the best for me," Williams said. "So, I thought if I could just play a little bit better than I did on that day, I would have a good opportunity. Maybe, she felt a little bit rough today."

The reigning Wimbledon and U.S. Open champion, Williams showed no signs of the struggles she experienced on Friday. The 21-year-old slipped by No. 32 Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia, despite suffering with tendinitis in her left knee.

"It's very good for me to have not too much of a tough match going into the later rounds, especially seeing as I've been a little bit injured," Williams said. "But today I felt very good. ... I'll just keep coming in and serving well and do my personal best."

Meanwhile, three-time champion Hingis displayed supreme confidence at Rod Laver Arena. The Swiss star beat Coetzer for the eighth time in their 10 career meetings. Hingis, in fact, has dropped just five games in their last two meetings.

<center>
</center>

"Every game I played, I felt better and more secure in my shots and also taking my chances," Hingis said. "I know that I was feeling well coming into this tournament with winning Sydney last week."

Next, Hingis will encounter surprise quarterfinalist Adriana Serra Zanetti. The Italian recorded 20 winners on the way to a 6-1, 7-5 victory over Slovakia's Martina Sucha.

Serra Zanetti, 25, reached just her fourth career quarterfinal on the WTA Tour and first since the 1999 Sao Paolo event.

Williams faces a far more experienced quarterfinal opponent -- four-time champion Monica Seles.

<center>
</center>

Eighth-seeded Seles was ahead in the fourth set, 4-2, when Spanish teenager Ana Isabel Medina Garrigues retired from their fourth-round match due to a knee injury.

The 28-year-old American advanced to the quarterfinals for the seventh time in as many appearances here. She also extended her WTA Tour winning streak to 17 matches.

Medina Garrigues, who was competing in the fourth round of a Grand Slam event for the first time, sustained the injury when she fell to the court on the final point of the sixth game.

"Things like that happen and you try to give your best when you are moving in match situations it's difficult," Seles said. "It's just so unfortunate when it happens."

Despite receiving treatment from a trainer, Medina Garrigues only managed to make it through the first two points of the next game before throwing in the towel.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts