Tennis Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GOLD COAST, Australia (AP) -- Venus Williams and Justine Henin will meet in Saturday's final at the Australian women's hardcourt championships in a replay of the Wimbledon final won by Williams.

Henin will try to overcome the American's 2-1 career record against her and defend the title the Belgian won on the Gold Coast last year.

Williams led 7-6 (1), 6-5 against Nadia Petrova on Friday when the unseeded Russian retired with an injury.

``I have to be on my toes,'' Williams said of the final match. ``She hits a lot of great shots from all kinds of angles on the court and I just become a spectator on the court. If she can hit those shots every time, she deserves to win the match.''

Williams was pushed to three sets by Henin in the Wimbledon final last year after the 19-year-old Belgian beat her in straight sets at the German Open in Berlin.

Henin beat Czech Daja Bedanova 6-2, 6-2 in their Gold Coast semifinal on Friday.

``I will have to be ready on the first point,'' Henin said of the final. ``I have to play good tennis from the beginning to the end if I want to win this tournament.''

1 - 1 of 1 Posts