Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, everybody . . . .it's ok to come up from under your sofas now. There's no need to sit in a dark room with the telly off. Let's start back visiting the sports sites online. ;)

Kimmie is the new #1, and it didn't hurt as badly as we thought it would did it? Now that we don't have to worry and bicker about this anymore (in actuality, most Williams fans didn't bicker @ all, but there was a VERY vocal minority), we can concentrate our energies on the Sisters getting welll, healed, and better - whenever that time may come.

We know that Serena has had surgery and will miss the Open, but I'm wondering what the success rate is for a surgery like this for a world class athlete. Two things worry me about Serena and this surgery: 1) Serena LOVED being #1. One of my fears is that she will start rigorous training too soon and injure herself (Richard says that she is already back to shopping. I'm already scared. :)) 2) The second fear is on the other side of the coin and Serena's fitness. Sometimes after her breaks(earlier in her career), Serena came back carrying more weight with less movement. I hope she's prepared for the mental and physical comeback.

Venus is out with an abdominal strain, and I know most of you don't wanna say it, but I'm gonna go on and do it anyway: If she is not 100% by the OPEN, she needs to go on and take time off and miss it. Even if LD and JenCap pass her in the rankings, it won't matter. We know that an healthy Venus can beat anybody. (She proved it @ Wimbledon(=)). The most positive thing that I can see about this is the fact that when Venus took that time off @ the end of '99 and the middle of '00, she came back and beat people like they had stolen something from her. I suspect that an healthy Venus will make a similar comeback.

Williams fans and fans of tennis, feel free to add.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
With Kim being #1 it will only mean more bonus points when Venus beat her next time.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
Yep...let the Belgians get their high rankings...with those bonus points for the sisters, theey will reach the top easily again.

Good point about Serena. I hope she´s ready for the tough road of recovery.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
venusfan said:
With Kim being #1 it will only mean more bonus points when Venus beat her next time.
:lol: Exactly!!!

I think it just seems weird that someone who isn't a Williams wil be #1. Especially when they have been dominating the grand slams the last couple of years.

Also, I thought Serena would become a great number one and be there for awhile like Martina or Steffi, she was there for awhile but I thought she would be #1 for a long time. She'll get it back tho, Kim has just been playing too many events.

About their injuries I expect them to bounce back quickly, it's just sad that they both aren't healthy for the U.S. Open which they both love so much and have won the past 4 years. My concern is that Serena won't want to put in the work to get back to #1 when she returns, but who knows.

And it's too bad Kim had to be the one who took the #1 ranking from Serena, cuz now I am forced to route against her now... :lick:

·
Registered
27,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Infiniti,
Happy, happy, birthday!!!!!!

·
Registered
27,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kart,
It's a quadricep muscle that was torn.

·
Registered
128 Posts
bis2806 said:
Yeah Let stupid henin beat kim and then Lindsay will kick her ass and move up the rankings :)

I agree and i am happy for kim just as long as justine doesnt get there cuz she has a bitchy attitude, but kim is very friendly. After all she did say she called and spoke with Serena to find out how she is doing! :lol:

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
brehondavis said:
I agree and i am happy for kim just as long as justine doesnt get there cuz she has a bitchy attitude, but kim is very friendly. After all she did say she called and spoke with Serena to find out how she is doing! :lol:
Umm...this is a Williams Fan's thread, we don't need to talk about Justine being bitchy and Kim being so sweet. We've heard enough of the Belgians.

Go Williams'!!! :bounce:

·
Banned
327 Posts
bandabou said:
Yep...let the Belgians get their high rankings...with those bonus points for the sisters, theey will reach the top easily again.

Good point about Serena. I hope she´s ready for the tough road of recovery.

That point is getting a little stale bud.

·
Registered
27,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't think she actually got in touch with Serena.

·
Keeper of Secrets
9,040 Posts
Why August 12, PR??

Well it's going to be Aug 12 soon.. btw Happy Birthday Infiniti- a fellow Leo :)

The thread is labelled WILLIAMS FANS yet I also see Detractors in here too... I guess they're missing V & S as well.

After Serena twisted her ankle back in January 2002, Serena waited 2 months until she was 100% before she came back... so I'm assuming Serena won't be pulling a Hingis.

I hope Venus plays USO, if not- then I guess in the long run it's best to start fresh in 2004.

We'll have to wait & see how it unfolds..

·
Registered
27,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sunset,
I said the "12th" because the 11th is the first full day that Kimmie is going to be #1.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I lost all respect and kindess for Justine Henin-Hardenne when she pulled that little stunt at the French Open, which could be labeled as the reason Serena lost that match. It always nice to have 20,000+ French people booing at you for absolutely no reason when your opponent is the cause for being a cheat and liar. Then denies it at the press conference. Ahh well, what can ya do? Anywayz! Get better Venus! Tennis isnt the same without the Queen.

·
***** Emeritus
45,076 Posts
Damn, another thread turning into "let's bash the Belgians" :rolleyes:

Good try though pureracket ;)

Anyway, are there updates on Venus' injury?? I know she's dropping out of tourneys but has she (or anyone from her entourage) said anything about the injury? Is it worse than they thought or is she just skipping the tourneys to be fully healed for the US Open? Is there a (big) chance she won't play the US Open?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.