Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I heard the tragic news of Yetunde's death, I, like many others, saw the headlines, "Elder Williams Sister Fatally Shot."

At the time, I was on a VERY important business call, but I hung the phone up without any kind of notice. For a split second, nothing. . . no ringing phone, frying fish, no overflowing kitchen sink. . . .nothing was more important than finding out whether or not VENUS had been killed. My heart fell outta my chest, and tears began to form in my eyes.

However, this wasn't just from the regular sadness that I might feel from hearing a story on Oprah or the news. Venus and Serena seem to represent a part of me/myself that I didn't know about until I was confronted with one of their possible deaths.

Is this attachment common for us, or is it me?

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
I felt it too. I first read the headline on this site, so I never believed it was Venus. I quickly changed my TV to CNNSI to see if anything was being reported.

Once I realized it was true, and not some joke, I actually began to cry. I'm only 20, and have been watching Venus since 1997. It's strange, but I feel like I've grown up with them. She's more then a tennis player to me...as is Serena.

·
Registered
25,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tennisIlove,
I know what you are going through. I had my friends from all over the country call me and wonder if I had heard the news because they know how much I like watching them.

It just got me to wondering if this kinda feeling is unhealthy, though. I did feel very bad after Cobain died too, though. I had a similar feeling then.

·
Premium Member
21,093 Posts
I can understand how you feel as well. When I first saw the Yahoo News headline I thought something had happend to Venus. I was utterly speechless, my mouth was literally hanging open.

I've been following V&S since 1999. They really got me into tennis, watching, playing etc. So I do feel a certain attachment to them.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Do I love 'em too much? No. I don't love them.. I don't know them. I do however hold a great appreciation for them.

Truth is... when I saw the headline saying that the Eldest Williams sister had been killed .. I wasn't really blown away by it, cause I had long since accepted that it could happen. We know that the Williams sisters/family have in the past received death threats, and likely still do.

Was I relieved when it was confirmed that it wasn't Venus Williams who was murdered? No. I come from a big family, I have what you call "half" brothers/sisters. I don't consider them half this or that.. just my brother. My sister. Venus and Serena have made it obvious that Yetunde, Isha, and Lyndrea are not half anything to them, and vice versa. Yetunde was the big sister, the pacesetter.

·
Registered
25,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some might love 'em, though.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
I absolutely love the williams. I saw the news first on this board and I cried. I would have cried if it had happened to Kim, Jen or any other player.
It made me sit back and think about how important famiily is. I saw Justine in a whole new light and couldn't help but admire her courage through life. Most of these girls start playing so young and desperately need the support of family. Justine seems to have done it on her own.
To answer the point of this thread, I don't think one can ever love too much. (I am not referring to obsession) It is only human to be compassionate and feel with those going through a tough time and rejoice with those doing well. At least it should be.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I am taking part in a discussion about Yetundes death for the first time here. The truth is I am so totally overwhemed by what happened, that I havent been able to find words to express my grief. I dont even want to think about what would have happened had it been Venus or Serena...

I am an adult and I am not usually onto the idols-thing with these stars, but Venus and to some extent Serena have become a symbol and an inspiration to me. Not because of their tennis per se, but because of their carriage, their smartness, intelligence, Perseverance etc.
I dont know if I could have been able to bear it...

·
Keeper of Venus & Serena,
27,447 Posts
I totally feel you all.

I logged on to the internet and on my home page, all it said, "Sister of Venus - Serena killed in California"

I thought Serena had died, and right then my computer disconnected. I had to reconnect, and they were possibly the longest 45 seconds of my life. The thought of one of them not existing never existed until that moment and when it did, it was like a family member has passed away. Tears welled up in my eyes as I clicked the link to read the horror.

When I found out it was Yetunde, I was relieved -- for a split second. The reality had become true - a tragedy had struck the girls. I started boo-hooing (literally) and needed to talk to someone ASAP. My 1 tennis friend was no where to be found, so I seriously was thinking about calling anybody and just crying on their shoulder.

So, I don't agree with the headline - I think we love Venus and Serena perfectly fine :)

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
I love them too...especially Venus. Since she burst on the scene, the pursuit of her goals, made me realize possibilities where one might think the door is closed. She inspired me how to persevere when it seems like every thing is against you.

I had a moment where I thought something had happened to her and it was a terrible daunting feeling. :sad: I have shed some tears over this tragedy. I don't want to think how I'd react if Venus was hurt in anyway...she still has been hurt terribly by this and that is why I still cry.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yes…I love Venus and Serena.

I thought it was Venus and my heart dropped I felt sick and almost cried but, I had to pull myself together to find out the truth. I was relived it wasn’t Venus. At that point of relief hit me again it was her sister and my heart snuck again.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Pureracket, I think this behaviour it's perfectly understandable. You had to know what happened at any costs, it's normal. Some fans feel a very strong link with their faves even if they don't know them in person ( no exception here ).

·
Registered
25,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wtarules,
Thanks.

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
i know what you mean.....i love Venus but Serena is and always will be my girl. but the love i have for Venus is amazing :eek: it's like they are more than tennis players to me. i love them to bits. and hearing they lost Yetunde was almost like i had lost a member of my family. ever since her death i just want to know Venus and Serena are ok :sad:

so do i love Venus and Serena too much? yea. but i wouldn't have it any other way :) the girls are amazing :hearts:

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
All I saw was Venus Williams Fatally Shot

I nearly had a heart attack, It was like when Aaliyah died but 10 times worse

But when I found it was Yetunde, I was just so relieved, but then I thought, shoot Venus wont play foreever now :)o ). But then I realized how horrible it was.

I didnt cry, but I was very sad.

still hard to believe

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Do I love Venus and Serena too much? Hmmm, I think the answer for me is yes. I love them too much not to have held a conversation with them and to have never once seen them in person. But I just can't help but feel this certain connection to them and their family. Because of where they came from, Compton, I knew that they were special. I'd always had a fondness of tennis, and to finally have someone who I could relate to on the tour. Sure, there'd been other African Americans in tennis, but there was something special about the two powerful beaded girls with braces and huge smiles. I just admired their accomplishments from the start. Starting out in a place like Compton, then competing all over the world in professional tennis tournaments??? That was just so amazing to me. For some reason, I had always been naive about tennis, thinking that one had to come from a wealthy background to even learn the sport. At that time, I didn't know anything about tennis players or their backgrounds. I guess what I'm trying to say is that a very important part of me would be missing if anything horrible were ever to happen to either of them. They've changed the way that I look at life and people in general. Whenever I see them, I'm reminded of certain people I grew up with and still have in my life. They have a strong loving family who's survived humbling beginnings, and they have never forgotten those beginnings. There's just a strong feeling of familiarity when I think of them. They carry their culture and heritage with them and it shows in their walk, their talk, their attitudes, their togetherness. I just think they're amazing. And, yes, I love them very much. :hearts:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts