Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Two interchangeable blonde Russians are more interesting than doubles

Votes: 4 6.2%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's almost pointless posting this, because its the kind of topic this board just can't have a clear-headed conversation over. Nevertheless, here's the proposition.

Let's say i can get Warren buffet to put up ten million dollars for a charity exo. Two million to the winning team, eight million to the favorite charity of the winning team.

The competitors

Venus and Serena Williams vs Martina(s) Navratilova and Hingis

Who wins and why?

For the sake of the discussion, assume everyone is healthy and in condition. For Hingis, you can take January 2001 health and skill

Points to ponder:

1) Hingis/Seles beat Williams 2x the one time (that I know of) they played

2) Navratilova is 46

3) Williams 2x usually beats the #1 doubles team Suarez/Ruano-Pasqual

·
Registered
17,877 Posts
I'm biased. :tape:

But seriously, I'd take the W/S.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
That would be a great match-up, but I think that the sisters will win that. These girls when it´s about prestige and stuff they always play their best. Remember how they beat the glamour-team of Hingis- Kournikova at the French in ´99?!

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
If you were talking about a fully mobile Hingis, then its hard to say. Under those circumstances, the deciding factor might be Navratilova's fitness and ability to stand up to a tough three setter.

Actually, I like the Hingis/Kournikova match up better frankly. Assuming both of them were completely healthy and had some practice in, I always like their chances against anyone. And don't take too much from their '99 meeting in the FO finals. Remember, that came one day after the worst day in Hingis' professional life and it still came down to something like 6-8 in the third set, and that was after Kournikova had a chance to serve for the match and blew it.

I basically like Hingis/Kournikova over the Willies, but it would be close.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
tommyk75 said:
The Williams sisters, without a doubt. Now if you had said both Martinas at their career-best form, then THERE would be a match-up!!! (And I'd go with the Martinas)
You have got one weak serve there and one whom I don´t think it would be strong enough against two pretty much untouachable serves... i don´t think even the best doubles-insticts can overcome weak serves.

·
Registered
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TonyP said:
If you were talking about a fully mobile Hingis, then its hard to say.
No fun in Hingis with limited mobility is there?

I basically like Hingis/Kournikova over the Willies, but it would be close.
Kournikova's a head case. OTOH, she had by far her best doubles success with Hingis. To my mind, that makes her a low rent Pam Shriver, but you never know. Four years later, the Willies are far better (and more accomplished) doubles players. And they won then.

The match would break box office records though.

·
Registered
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
VCR said:
fyi:vivi-pascual are NOT the #1 dubs team anymore.
Yeah but they play doubles like an instructional video.

·
Registered
18,697 Posts
Volcana, Hingis/Seles def Williams/Williams the 1st time they played as a team. Williams/Williams were the reigning Wimbledon and Olympic champions.

They played two weeks later in the semifinals of the Australian Open, with Williams/Williams winning that match.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
If everyone is fit and healthy the Williams sisters would win, but only because Martina N's serve is too weak to cope against Venus and Serena's returns therefore leaving Hingis vulernable at net, and having to cover for Martina N. Venus and Serena showed at Wimbledon that they are not invincible with a close match against Morariu/Stubbs and then losing to Dementieva/Krasnoroutskaya, but Hingis and Navratilova dont have Lina and Elena's powerful groundstrokes and returns, therefore V & S would win :)

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Kournikova, when healthy and particularly when playing with Hingis, is a great doubles player. There results speak for themselves and they didn't win because of superior size or strength.

I do NOT believe the Williams sisters are particularly great doubles players. They simply overpower most of their oppoents. Sorry, but their victories in doubles are do to superior size and strength and not much else.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
TonyP said:
Kournikova, when healthy and particularly when playing with Hingis, is a great doubles player. There results speak for themselves and they didn't win because of superior size or strength.

I do NOT believe the Williams sisters are particularly great doubles players. They simply overpower most of their oppoents. Sorry, but their victories in doubles are do to superior size and strength and not much else.
Get a life, will ya?! well at least they´re using their strenghts to their advantage! And what exactly is a great doubles player to you then?!

Don´t come with Anna-crap, because the Williamses beat her and Hingis most of the time.....don´t come with the only-power thing, ´cause either you´re great or you´re not.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
No disrespect to Williams sisters ability but pair them to anyone rank below ten and see if they could pass quarters of a grandslam doubles. A serena-navratilova pair-up before did'nt do any damage at all.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
QUEENLINDSAY said:
No disrespect to Williams sisters ability but pair them to anyone rank below ten and see if they could pass quarters of a grandslam doubles. A serena-navratilova pair-up before did'nt do any damage at all.
And like Lindsay would?! Every partnership needs an adjustment period... you can´t start winning from the bat. It was the first time Serena and Martina N played together...

Besides Serena DID win a tournament with Alexandra and to my knowledge Alexandra ain´t no top 10!

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
The Williams sisters to my knowledge beat Hingis/Kournikova just once.

And great doubles involves strategy.

The Willies just cover the net well because of their size and slam the ball very hard against whoever is on the other side of the net. You can often watch them and see that they don't even understand doubles strategy.

Sorry, strength is what wins it for them. Hingis is by far the better doubles player and her record of nine slam titles, including a calendar year grand slam proves it. So do her 36 doubles titles to their 16.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.