1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Williames' reign is being challenged
By Helene Bonnard
Special to WTAFANS.COM

Do you believe what Richard Williamd said about her magnificent daughters. In Charleston, There's finally hope for the rest of women's tennis, and not all because of Justine Henin-Hardenne's upset of Serena Williams in the Family Circle Cup final.

"So women's tennis is getting boring. And you know why? Because two lovely black women dominate it.

"They're better than the white girls and that's intolerable. It's downgrading, lamentable," he said.

According to Williams, his daughters are talented enough to take a break from tennis and still dominate upon their return.

"I would like them to stop playing today, for Serena to study and for Venus to launch herself into business," Williams said.

The father said he is unimpressed with the level of competition on the women's circuit and in the junior ranks.

"If I was in their place, I would take a break for one or two years," Williams said. "I would do some sailing, some ice skating, and I would come back unranked, just so I could become No. 1 within five or six months."

However, In Warsaw, Venus Williams suffered from stomach injury and defaulting to Amelie Mauresmo in Sunday's Warsaw final, Venus Williams overtook Kim Clijsters in the WTA Tour's world rankings as the two traded the second and third slots again. Clijsters had slipped past Venus in the April 14 rankings to trail only top-ranked Serena Williams.

In Rome, Mauresmo defeated America's world number one 1-6, 7-5, 6-3 for her first win in six attempts against the 21-year-old.

Serena Williams, who defends her French Open title at Roland Garros later this month, said her poor serving was the root cause of a surprise defeat.

"I made too many errors, most of all on my service games," she said.

"It's difficult to win when you are not getting a high percentage of first serves in.

"But you have to give Amelie credit because she never gave in. She had an excellent match.

"I'm upset because I like to win, but it's not the end of the world."

"There was nothing in particular she did. When I lose a match it's usually because of how I played. In the end it's better to lose in Rome than in Paris."

What's happen, Williamses' chance to win at Roland Garros will be pretty tough, comparing to last year. There are unbelievable players : Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin-Hardernne, and Amelia Mauresmo. Can they resist those girls to retain her crown.

Three cheers for battling Belgian

Kim Clijsters picked up her third title of the season yesterday by defeating France`s Amelie Mauresmo 3-6 7-6 (7-3) 6-0 in the final of the Italian Open.

Mauresmo, who beat Jennifer Capriati and Serena Williams to reach the championship game, served for the match at 6-5 in the second set but Clijsters stormed back from 30-15 down to force a tie-break.

She won that easily and then coasted through the final set as Mauresmo, who also finished runner-up in 2000 and 2001, struggled to regain her momentum.

Clijsters has also claimed the titles in Sydney and Indian Wells this season and appears to be in good form in the run-up to the French Open, which gets underway on May 26.

Clijsters remains second in the WTA world rankings and is in good shape ahead of Roland Garros, although she is finding her success hard to take in.

"I like seeing my name at number two.

"If I can go to number one, it would be an unbelievable feeling.

"If not I would still be happy and it would be something I could tell my kids about."

She became the first Belgian victor of the event, and Belgian firsts are becoming something of a frequent occurrence on the WTA circuit, with her own success and that of world number four Justine Henin-Hardenne.

"It's always nice to have that part of history for Belgium. I hope there can be many more (titles) for Justine and myself because she was very close too last year.

"(It) doesn't matter if it's for Justine or for me, I think it would be great for both of us if we can win this event many more times."

Defeated Mauresmo admitted she was exhausted by her week's exertions.

"In the second set it was getting very difficult for me physically," she said.

"She had an easier match than me yesterday and it's good for her.

"You've got to give her credit to stay in the match and finally win it."

Different in stamina

The result ended an impressive run by Mauresmo, who had claimed the scalps of fifth seed Jennifer Capriati and world No 1 Serena Williams on her way to the final, and added to tournament wins in Sydney and Indian Wells for the 19-year-old Clijsters.

Fourth seed Mauresmo started perfectly, dragging her Belgian opponent round the court with heavy groundstrokes. In the sixth game the Frenchwoman seized her chance to break, flicking a forehand past Clijsters at the net to go 4-2 up before wrapping up the first set in 32 minutes.

The Belgian twice recovered from a break down in the second set, coming back from 30-15 down as Mauresmo served for the match at 6-5 up to force a tiebreak, which she won easily.

After a short break because of the heat, the players returned but Mauresmo appeared to be tiring as her game unravelled, allowing Clijsters to break in the first, third and fifth games to race through the decider.

The result was a blow for Mauresmo, who had already been runner-up in Rome twice, in 2000 and 2001.

"What can I say? Yeah, of course it's disappointing. I felt I could win the match," Mauresmo said.

"I was pushing, pushing, pushing, so it wasn't a surprise to me that suddenly I didn't have any energy (at the beginning of the third set).

"I knew it was going to be tough. She had an easier (semi-final) match yesterday but that's tennis.

"I took every opportunity I had. I don't regret anything. You've got to give her credit for staying in the match and winning it."

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I cant wait for the French but the williams sisters are ALWAYS on top form at the slams so it'll be tough for the other girls but we'll see only a week to go :bounce:

·
Registered
612 Posts
I can see a non-Williams winning RG this year, although I am not counting any of them out, not at all.

However, if a non-Williams wins RG, you can rest assured that none other than a Williams will sweep through Wimbledon and US Open.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Last I checked Serena was still far ahead of the pack and she is 26/2 this year. Sure she won't win them all but she is still kicking some serious ass on the WTA tour.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
..................and this Helene Bonnard is a DUMBFUCK.. lmao

1 - 7 of 7 Posts