Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many posters here said she doesn't belong in Top10, and that she's played so "horrible" the last couple weeks, well guess what she's defeated the #1 and the #2 in the world!!
Nastya is awesome!!! :bounce:

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
she is my favorite Russian too. i am really happy for her even if the win comes at the expense of kim and justine. they have won enough titles this year and neither of them was at their best. myskina had to play well to win nonetheless.

and yes I do think people just totally underrate her. probably because she does not have a huge serve or something. but she is much more consistent usually than many of the other Russians. when she gave Nadia two breadsticks I knew she was feeling confident.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
treufreund said:
but she is much more consistent usually than many of the other Russians.
Actually, that's completely wrong. Nastia is a very streaky player. Just check her results this year.

So cool that she's hit her winning streak this week :banana:

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
Last year I think she made the final in Leipzig. The next week she lost in Round 1 to Meghann, who'd been having a godawful year. So I guess the pressure will really be on her now, not only because of this title, but the decimated field.

·
Premium Member
182,035 Posts
Nastya has always been hot and cold even in middle of matches **

YES of course she deserves to be top 10.
but i wouldn't mind threads starting off again saying Nastya shouldn't be seeded to make a SLAM 1/4 ( twice she got dissed and twice she slapped you right back in the face and made it to her allotted seeded spot)

** she plays the most 3 setters of all the Top 50 (top 100 i guess)

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
I wouldn't say Myskina beat Kim, seeing as Kim retired while leading the match after reaggravating an injury.

·
Registered
34,283 Posts
She's ny favourite Russian as well, and people tend to don't give her credit at all, if she's in the top 10 is because she deserves it more than others who aren't there, that's all :)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
16,136 Posts
Jen beats her on the 3s matches ... lol
But ever since i saw Nastya play Jen 2 years ago i think i thought she was top 10 material and now that she is i hope top 5 gets her and so does her hair.....lol

·
HAND SCRAPED
7,145 Posts
Well after getting a tier 2 win she deserves more respect than she's been getting.

She's got around 8 v decent results in her ranking now:

Won Leipzig
Won Doha
Won Sarasota
QF USO
QF AO
4th W'don
QF Rome
QF Dubai

She also has a couple of tier 3 QF's, but only got 30 something points for each, so its not a "v decent" result in the same way winning a tier 3 is a decent result.

But - she does have 10 first match losses still in the past 12 months. Only 3 of these are counted in her ranking tho (and one is from the year end champs, so doesn't really count as a 1st match loss i guess what with being given over 60 points).

She needs to play a lot to keep the good results more in number than her bad results.

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
this was a good week for her, without doubt. she deserves credit for playing well when much was at stake. but i still think she relies too heavily on a high tournament count and tier III events to prop up her ranking. outside of the occasional win over kim or justine, what else has she really done? win Tier III's?

so yes, i will give her the respect she deserves. but this win was tainted by injury. not her fault, but still.

·
Premium Member
19,825 Posts
She does get props for beating Henin when Jen and Kim seem to wilt under pressure against her. I think this win will give Myskina alot of confidence when competing against the Belgians.

Myskina must of been playing pretty good because she had kim on the ropes. 7-5, 4-4 means that she was competing well against her.

I guess everyone is trying to get better. I also feel that if Myskina wants to earn respect she can not only have an occasional win but she has to win against the top players regularly.

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
harloo said:
She does get props for beating Henin when Jen and Kim seem to wilt under pressure against her. I think this win will give Myskina alot of confidence when competing against the Belgians.

Myskina must of been playing pretty good because she had kim on the ropes. 7-5, 4-4 means that she was competing well against her.

I guess everyone is trying to get better. I also feel that if Myskina wants to earn respect she can not only have an occasional win but she has to win against the top players regularly.
5-7 4-4. hardly on the ropes.

·
Banned
365 Posts
-I have always said that Myskina is the most under-rated russian in the top 80 right now. Mary and Pam have even said 'she will not go further than #8' With Davenport and Capriati about to retire if Myskina can pull a JHH next year and work VERY hard on all parts of her game...she has enough talent to make it into the top 5 along with Elena (if she improves that serve)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts