Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Venus and Serena's book, "How To Play Tennis" is out in the UK and will be out in the US in late August. Will you buy it? I sure know I will :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
997 Posts
mmcdonald said:
Venus and Serena's book, "How To Play Tennis" is out in the UK and will be out in the US in late August. Will you buy it? I sure know I will :D

:lol: :haha: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,126 Posts
DeDe1961 said:
Someone needs their heads examined. :lol:
Always trying to hate, eh? :lol:
Someone needs to find a hobby! :wavey:

I'm gonna buy it as well. :cool:
 

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
Joined
·
64,787 Posts
I won't be buying it, because I don't play tennis myself that much, because I don't see the purpose of such a book and I would only buy it if one of my huge favourites wrote it and because I seriously don't think that Serena and Venus' games are good exemples of how to play tennis well, technique-wise. When it comes to power, they are great role models no doubt, but not when it comes to great technique.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
I saw this in Waterstones yesterday, and decided to have a bit of a look - I felt I could do with a bit of a laugh.

One of the first chapters is "what to wear" - coming from either of the Williams sisters, would advise people to skip that chapter.

Did contain a lovely photo of Serena stretching with her raquet.

But most of the pictures aren't them, but this young girl.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,823 Posts
I'm Venus's #1 Fan, and I won't buy it! :kiss:

I'm already a future pro as it is... :angel:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,099 Posts
The thing is that the book is meant for youngsters who are just taking up the sport and only covers the strokes at a basic level, so the question of whether such a book by Hingis or Federer would be more worthy doesn't arise. The book only tries to give its target readers tips on the right clothes to wear, how to stretch before playing, to drink enough liquids, and how to hit basic tennis strokes. It does not attempt to teach anyone how to hit half volleys on the run from the baseline, so it's irrelevant whether the sisters have good techniques or not.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
20 Posts
I would rather go out into the desert and watch the lizards run around than to buy a book about smash mouth tennis. Now if Justine or Hingis were to write a book that would be a different story. :angel:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33,063 Posts
CooCooCachoo said:
I won't be buying it, because I don't play tennis myself that much, because I don't see the purpose of such a book and I would only buy it if one of my huge favourites wrote it and because I seriously don't think that Serena and Venus' games are good exemples of how to play tennis well, technique-wise. When it comes to power, they are great role models no doubt, but not when it comes to great technique.
When it comes to winning, they're the best of the best of the best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,582 Posts
samn said:
The thing is that the book is meant for youngsters who are just taking up the sport and only covers the strokes at a basic level, so the question of whether such a book by Hingis or Federer would be more worthy doesn't arise. The book only tries to give its target readers tips on the right clothes to wear, how to stretch before playing, to drink enough liquids, and how to hit basic tennis strokes. It does not attempt to teach anyone how to hit half volleys on the run from the baseline, so it's irrelevant whether the sisters have good techniques or not.
Thanks for the outline.

If they released an autobiography of some sort, I'd buy it... but not this ;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,553 Posts
samn said:
The thing is that the book is meant for youngsters who are just taking up the sport and only covers the strokes at a basic level, so the question of whether such a book by Hingis or Federer would be more worthy doesn't arise. The book only tries to give its target readers tips on the right clothes to wear, how to stretch before playing, to drink enough liquids, and how to hit basic tennis strokes. It does not attempt to teach anyone how to hit half volleys on the run from the baseline, so it's irrelevant whether the sisters have good techniques or not.
I don't know. It sounds suspicous like the sisters names are used to sell the book and they didn't really have anything do with the book. I smell a lawsuit. LOL
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top