Tennis Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
You are not likeable,but I like you
4,261 Posts
China pivoting away from Tennis more like.
It's really no point to continue pouring money into tennis when there's no big names left to draw the crowds
this,besides Shanghai Master,all the other Chinese tournaments are lossing money without any profit

·
Registered
113,399 Posts
They need young players from China to start winning more. Why was the Shenzhen bid so far above Singapore? There must be interest for that, and WTA can always go back to Singapore

By the way, only 6 dead from this virus in Singapore
This is the US now
USA reported 245,066 cases with 6,077 deaths just two days ago. Today, they are reporting 311,637 (+66,571) cases and now 8,454 (+2,377) deaths. Averaging 1K+ deaths per day for several days now

·
Administrator
12,155 Posts
Obviously the level of self-discipline and organization in Asian countries will help them to contain this and next outbreaks, something sorely lacking in some of the european countries where the pandemic is hitting so hard.

Regarding China, ofc their official numbers are all lies, which fatally hid how fast it spread and the damaging effect of the virus, wasting precious time for the rest of the world, but now it's all in the open, I doubt they are going to make the same mistake twice, and no way they would have lifted the confinement measures if they hadn't controlled this outbreak, so now it's safer there than in most countries in the world. Chances are if a tennis tournament is going to be played this year it will be there and not in Europe or America.
Tbh, I don’t think it’s fair to say China’s lie wasted precious time of the world to contain the disease better. Most other Asian countries managed to keep it under control despite being much closer to China and had the first batch of reported cases much earlier. South Korea and cruise ships showed how fast it can spread already to the rest of the world and yet we saw how slow most countries reacted when it hit them. And everyone KNEW China lied about the number so it’s not like anyone bought that shit, no government especially should have been that naive.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Wrong.

It can be racist to criticize the Chinese government. It all depends on the context. Some criticism is legit — some of it not. Some of it, even if true, is made in bad faith and agenda-driven and coming from one other government, the US government and its various fangirls. And the only reason why they are doing it is to deflect criticism from their government's wrongdoing and bad reaction to this pandemic.

The initial Chinese wrongdoing at the start is already moot. The reality as of now is China (+ some other nations) ended up controlling the outbreak, while the US's dreadful for-profit healthcare system failed to do the same, and instead let the country become the №1 hotbed of outbreak on the planet smashing all records and is on its way towards hundreds of thousands of covid-deaths unless they flatten the goddamn curve ASAP. No amount of calculated state-sponsored xenophobic deflection in the form of "but the Chinese..." will hide this naked matter of fact.
Oh no 100% is the US 100% failing in its response and it’s because of the for-profit healthcare system. You think I don’t know that? America structurally sucks we been knew on that.

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Oh no 100% is the US 100% failing in its response and it’s because of the for-profit healthcare system. You think I don’t know that? America structurally sucks we been knew on that.
You can spin all you want but you can't blame China that it's mostly blacks and Latinos that are overrepresented among the US COVID dead. That right there exposes where the guilt lies.

That doesn't mean China is innocent. Obviously the country needs to modernize it's shopping habit and reduce their dependency on large cheap not-very-clean open markets with a variety of animals all over the place. How many more epidemics are needed before they put an end to it? I just found out that all the open markets have been re-opened in Wuhan except the one where the virus first showed up (indicting they only closed that one largely to prevent disaster tourism).

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
... I just found out that all the open markets have been re-opened in Wuhan except the one where the virus first showed up (indicating they only closed that one largely to prevent disaster tourism).
At least China has finally banned the importation of (mostly rare and endangered) wild animals for use as food and "medicine." That's a start.

·
Registered
113,399 Posts
This is going to unfold week by week. UFC 249, scheduled for 18 April was just cancelled.
But people in college football are talking like they will play. If there is football, its possible to have tennis. Football has about 50 each team and another 50 in coaches and officials

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Better be. Such a waste of money. As a tennis fan for more than fifteen years, hope the money used to bild tennis camps and other sports facilities for youngsters.

·
You are not likeable,but I like you
4,261 Posts
Is there much appetite for tennis in China, particularly women's tennis?
No,You could see most of chinese tournamnets the crowded is empty

·
Registered
113,399 Posts
The crowd is one part of the whole equation. If China wants to use a global sport like tennis to show the world they are back and having sports, it could be very profitable for the WTA to have all the tournaments. We are speculating about 6,7,8 months from now, which is a long way from now. It doesnt matter that the general public is not enthused by tennis stars playing big matches. If the government of China thinks this is important to show they are back in business as a country, it will probably happen. The reason they have any tournaments is that it is a business.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
You can spin all you want but you can't blame China that it's mostly blacks and Latinos that are overrepresented among the US COVID dead. That right there exposes where the guilt lies.

That doesn't mean China is innocent. Obviously the country needs to modernize it's shopping habit and reduce their dependency on large cheap not-very-clean open markets with a variety of animals all over the place. How many more epidemics are needed before they put an end to it? I just found out that all the open markets have been re-opened in Wuhan except the one where the virus first showed up (indicting they only closed that one largely to prevent disaster tourism).
Again, about that first part: we’ve known that. America is a place that does not give a shit about its poor and due to structural racism that gives minorities less opportunities to climb the social ladder it disproportionately hurts minorities. America has zero social safety net and the wealth gap in this country is worse than what was in the Gilded Age (a period known for its huge wealth gap in the US in the early 1900’s).

I don’t blame China for the markets. It’s the lying, covering up, punishing people who speak up, and authoritarianism I can’t stand. And trust me I know Trump has been doing all that as well I can’t stand that selfish man either.

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Again, about that first part: we’ve known that. America is a place that does not give a shit about its poor and due to structural racism that gives minorities less opportunities to climb the social ladder it disproportionately hurts minorities. America has zero social safety net and the wealth gap in this country is worse than what was in the Gilded Age (a period known for its huge wealth gap in the US in the early 1900’s).

I don’t blame China for the markets. It’s the lying, covering up, punishing people who speak up, and authoritarianism I can’t stand. And trust me I know Trump has been doing all that as well I can’t stand that selfish man either.
I do.

It's much easier to ban those than to force government officials from lying and covering up stuff. IDGAF about democracy and dictatorshop with regard to the virus cuz guess what the virus doesn't give a fuck either! So going there will not be productive.

The time has come to simply insist that the Chinese must root out this recurring pandemic problem once and for all — and that means change their eating and grocery habits. There is no way around this point I'm afraid. Enough is enough.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts