Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the current climate, do you think we will see WTA look at other markets as players, officials and sponsors move away from China given Covid-19?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Nope and I doubt WTA can just take the tournament licenses away from the Chinese owners anyway.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Why? I dont understand what your point is. China is doing an awesome job right now and they have even relaxed many of the restrictions that were placed at the height of its coronavirus crisis.

If anything it is a crises in Europe.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I mean, it's not like Europe and the US are going to have a ton of spare cash after all this is over, so very unlikely...

If anything, if you look at where we expect world economies to be in 12 months time from all of this, I would expect the exact opposite. They'll be chasing whatever money they can get.

The tours have been used to prize money at the Grand Slams increasing by 7-8% every year... prize money has literally never gone down in 40 years of the modern pro game... the tennis industry is in for a rude shock. I won't be surprised if the Slams cut their prize money in half. So yes, the tours will be chasing sponsors wherever they can find them.

·
Registered
113,399 Posts
China will be the only country with huge money for sports by 2021
Sports will try to come back globally. In China they are close to having basketball games with no crowds. UFC will have a big card this month if state officials allow it.
In Singapore Miesha Tate says ONE Championship will go on with no crowds

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
SARS and MERS came and went, we still had tournaments in Asia and the middle-east, all was forgotten. Same with this, human are very adaptable and tend to repeat history. China has recovered now, and it will less likely have an economic crisis compared to other countries who can't control the movement of their population.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Yes. Globalisation will come to a drastic halt. I predict the autumn swing will go back to Europe, like in the good ol' days. Welcome back Stuttgart, Zurich etc. You've been sorely missed !

·
Registered
11,396 Posts
If anything many of China’a tournaments will be the last ones standing - they were first to be hit so they will be the first to recover. Plus China is obviously in a much healthier financial position compared to many others.

·
Registered
757 Posts
If anything many of China’a tournaments will be the last ones standing - they were first to be hit so they will be the first to recover. Plus China is obviously in a much healthier financial position compared to many others.
Yeah right. I'm sure lots of top players will flock to Wuhan....

·
You are not likeable,but I like you
4,261 Posts
Yes. Globalisation will come to a drastic halt. I predict the autumn swing will go back to Europe, like in the good ol' days. Welcome back Stuttgart, Zurich etc. You've been sorely missed !

·
Registered
31,138 Posts
China may invest in sports to show that everything is normal again while the Western markets will be dead and buried. If you think most companies will have the budget to sponsor a women tennis tournament, I don't know what to tell you.

Think of the Internationals that were barely hanging on or the ITF tournaments that needed dozens of small sponsorships from local shops to survive. They're gone. Women tennis will be on its knees.

We may have a situation where all that is left will be the Slams, the Premiers M/5, a few Premiers in China and a bunch of 125Ks.

·
Registered
10,953 Posts
Why? I dont understand what your point is. China is doing an awesome job right now
Yeh, and what have they been doing since November? Trying to cover it up. Which led to the current crisis.

Lying about forbidden food in the luggage at immigration and especially lying about this virus. Not to be trusted in all aspects of life.

I will put an effort in future purchases to make China small again, Tiny. Absolutely irrelevant like it was in the 80s. And I hope billions of people worldwide will do so, too.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
SARS and MERS came and went, we still had tournaments in Asia and the middle-east, all was forgotten. Same with this, human are very adaptable and tend to repeat history. China has recovered now, and it will less likely have an economic crisis compared to other countries who can't control the movement of their population.
no one I know will forget this in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Yeh, and what have they been doing since November? Trying to cover it up. Which led to the current crisis.

Lying about forbidden food in the luggage at immigration and especially lying about this virus. Not to be trusted in all aspects of life.

I will put an effort in future purchases to make China small again, Tiny. Absolutely irrelevant like it was in the 80s. And I hope billions of people worldwide will do so, too.
This. And everyone I know feels the same.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts