Tennis Forum banner

Will Wozniacki make the International Hall of Fame and does she deserve to???

• Yes and she deserves to

Votes: 76 69.1%
  • Yes, but she does not deserve to

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • No, but she deserves to

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • No and she does not deserve to

Votes: 19 17.3%

• Total voters
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
62,285 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
I don't disagree. I think that based on what we have now and who's already in, there's no way to exclusive Wozniacki. But I do think that there should be a higher standard for something like a HOF. And I think the only automatic entry should go to ATGs. If you don't have four slams, a final in every slam, a YE #1–you don't get in automatically. It's supposed to be a HOF, not "you're good, here we go." And then, you go and have a very serious discussion about everyone else. But honestly, why should the HOF include Li Na? We all love her, and she's an excellent player, but her achievements barely scratch the surface of what Kim Clijsters achieved, and even Kim wouldn't be an automatic in—based on my criteria having failed to reach the Wimbledon final. But that's what the HOF should be—your CV should be scrutinized up the ass.
I disagree, particularly with your debate on Li Na's inclusion in the HoF. I don't think inclusion into the HoF should be purely based on CV, because CV doesn't include the impact you've had on your sport or society as a whole. These are important to take into account in my opinion. The HoF should be reserved for great careers, but also trailblazers and changemakers. Li Na's success literally inspired the WTA's Asian conquest, and markedly raised the profile of the sport in the region. Arthur Ashe only has 3 Grand slams, but he was the first, and to date only, black male to win them, not to mention he was a pioneer for HIV awareness. Many people may deny this, but Wozniacki influenced the way the game was played for many years and led the way for defensive players to find success. Beyond that she was also involved in fighting for equality in tennis, and quite involved in player representation. That's one of the reasons she received the goodbye she did.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Her game might be a little bit boring, but she won one Grand Slam title, the WTA Tour Championship title and 34 titles in total. Furthermore she reached the US Open final in 2009 and 2014 and was No. 1 for almost 70 weeks. These criteria are enough, so she should be eligible to enter the Hall Of Fame.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
She has a very well rounded career. Yes she will. If they let Roddick in, she will surely get in.

·
Registered
761 Posts
She probably is, but she doesn't deserve to be, any player that only wins one slam doesn't deserve to be amongst legends.

·
Registered
83,468 Posts

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Does anyone outside the US at least, care about the Hall of Fame? 🤷

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Considering that Goran Ivanisevic and Conchita Martinez will be the newest members of the HoF, no doubt Woz will get in. Ana will probably also get in at some point. And as crazy as it sounds, in a few decades, even if she just has the one GS to her name, Ostapenko could get in.
You really think Ostapenko could get in???

61 - 69 of 69 Posts