Tennis Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Chris Evert married, they referred to her as "MRS. LLOYD", as in "Mrs. Lloyd to serve ..."

Have times changed, or will they call Lindsay Mrs Leach? Because, I think that will sound funny! :eek:

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well in Paris I think they let the players have their say in it. At Wimbledon, Chris had no choice in the matter; rules were rules. But in these modern times, maybe even Wimby can allow the player's wishes to stand.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised to hear Mrs. Leach but I'm not sure we will... with Wimbledon and all it's tradition though you never know!

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
:eek: Hopefully they will stick to calling her "Mrs. Davenport" because "Mrs. Leach" would sound kinda strange and it is a disgusting name anyway. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
They'll call her Mrs Davenport, but if she still wants to be miss. She was Madame Davenport at RG.

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Josh said:
After Sabine Appelmans married in 1997, they continued to call her Miss Appelmans though.
Oh, okay! Here we have evidence that Wimbledon has emerged from the dark ages. Great! I thought Lindsay might burst out laughing when she'd hear "Mrs. Leach leads 4 games to 1"! :D

And I'd hate for a huge controversy to erupt on this board if the Name Distraction cost her the title! ;)

·
Miss Verstand
16,531 Posts
they called her both madame and mademoiselle at RG, depending on the umpire i guess..

·
Banned
3,072 Posts
Super Maeike said:
they called her both madame and mademoiselle at RG, depending on the umpire i guess..
Yes, I think after either her first or second round match, Lindsay asked the Umpire what she should be called because during that match she was sometimes Madam and other times Moidmaselle (sorry about spelling :eek:) She just wanted to be clear and I think they then used Madam Davenport after that LOL

I think I would roll around in fits of laughter too if Lindsay I heard, "Mrs Leach to serve" but she's made clear that for tennis she still wants to be called Davenport. I could imagine if Lindsay did well under the name Lindsay Leach at Wimbledon the casual once-a-year tennis fans would be saying "this new player, Lindsay Leach has come from no where!" :rolleyes:

:wavey:Rachel

·
Registered
462 Posts
Chrissy was only called Mrs Lloyd since her name was hyphenated.... well, no hyphen, but Chrissy was Chris Every Lloyd, so that kicked in the Mrs Lloyd name at Wimbledon.

·
Registered
9,981 Posts
RayRob said:
Yes, I think after either her first or second round match, Lindsay asked the Umpire what she should be called because during that match she was sometimes Madam and other times Moidmaselle (sorry about spelling :eek:) She just wanted to be clear and I think they then used Madam Davenport after that LOL

I think I would roll around in fits of laughter too if Lindsay I heard, "Mrs Leach to serve" but she's made clear that for tennis she still wants to be called Davenport. I could imagine if Lindsay did well under the name Lindsay Leach at Wimbledon the casual once-a-year tennis fans would be saying "this new player, Lindsay Leach has come from no where!" :rolleyes:

:wavey:Rachel
Lindsay Leach comes from no where, ROTF
Go LEACH:D

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
Well, if they call her Mrs. Leach... I guess I'll have to mute on deuces and at the end of games because I can't bear to hear that. I feel for their kids.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Kind of on topic, why did Anna Smashnova change her name to Pistolesi? I know she married during the off season, but until someone pointed it out during the RG telecast, I had no idea who she was. At least stick with hyphens (a la Justine) so the fans know who you are...

Do you agree or disagree?

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I feel neutral about it. It does take a while for fans to catch on, but there is a nice feeling to sharing a name with your spouse, showing the world that you have now formed a new family together.

I respect the 3 different choices made by Davenport, Pistolesi, and Henin-Hardenne. The great thing is that they do have a choice. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts