Tennis Forum banner

Will Wimbledon 2019 be the true rebirth of Azarenka?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at this draw, it seems like a golden opportunity for her.

The top half of the draw is totally loaded, but there's nobody in her half that she shouldn't be able to beat on grass except maybe KaPlis.

With Osaka, Ostapenko and Venus out, this side of the draw has completely fallen apart and Azarenka could be the one to make the most of it. I don't think it's particularly likely that Halep beats Vika on grass.

Of course, there's still Hsieh, Svitolina, Yastremska, Sevastova, Collins, Wozniacki and others, but this has to be a great chance for Vika to make the final.

·
Registered
115,577 Posts
Everyone in the bottom half looks live. This is a great opportunity while Barty, Serena, Kerber, Bertens and the rest are stuck in the top half
I was thinking that also, that Vika might make a run here

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't think it's particularly likely that Halep beats Vika on grass.
Unfortunately, Vika is nowhere near her 2012/2013 form. She would not be the favourite in that matchup.

Of course, there's still Hsieh, Svitolina, Yastremska, Sevastova, Collins, Wozniacki and others, but this has to be a great chance for Vika to make the final.
It would be really surprising if she could beat Hsieh. I would also be very happy if she somehow managed against Collins.

Tldr: I don't like her chances here (hope I'm wrong)

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
Vika has shown slow but steady improvement this season. This is a really favourable draw for her, so I don't see why she can't have a deep run here :shrug: She is due for one. I think she just needs that one deep run to spur her on to complete her comeback and rise up to where she belongs in the rankings.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I can see her going far, this is a big chance for her!

Reactions: ishgever

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately, Vika is nowhere near her 2012/2013 form. She would not be the favourite in that matchup.
Maybe not on hard and certainly not on clay, but I think she has a great chance on grass.

I think Azarenka's grass abilities have been underrated.

It would be really surprising if she could beat Hsieh. I would also be very happy if she somehow managed against Collins.

Tldr: I don't like her chances here (hope I'm wrong)
Maybe.

But she certainly has chances. Plus, someone else could take out those players before they get to Vika.

·
Registered
34,266 Posts
I can't see her beating Halep.

Reactions: d_b_prince

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't see her beating Halep.
I think it depends on how Halep adapts to grass. She wasn't very threatening at all against Kerber in Eastbourne or Sasnovich here.

However, I've seen her play better on grass before so she might find some form.

·
Registered
34,266 Posts
I think it depends on how Halep adapts to grass. She wasn't very threatening at all against Kerber in Eastbourne or Sasnovich here.

However, I've seen her play better on grass before so she might find some form.
Yeah it's more based on their respective histories. Vika's choking has become habitual these days, whereas Halep almost always manages to step it up against good, but not great, players. Halep beat Vika pretty easily at Wimbledon 2017 when the latter had just come back but was playing decent tennis, and before that at the US Open 2015 when Vika was not at her best but playing quite well (who can forget the phenomenal Kerber match) and at one of her favorite tournaments. Their only other meetings were in 2012 and Vika won both easily but both careers were in a COMPLETELY different place at that point.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah it's more based on their respective histories. Vika's choking has become habitual these days, whereas Halep almost always manages to step it up against good, but not great, players. Halep beat Vika pretty easily at Wimbledon 2017 when the latter had just come back but was playing decent tennis, and before that at the US Open 2015 when Vika was not at her best but playing quite well (who can forget the phenomenal Kerber match) and at one of her favorite tournaments. Their only other meetings were in 2012 and Vika won both easily but both careers were in a COMPLETELY different place at that point.
Hmmm yeah it's hard to pick a winner between those two I guess.

I still think this might be Vika's best draw ever to make a Wimbledon final, and if she makes the final she could even win - she has an absolute mental domination over Kerber to the extent that she can be off form and still win, and she'd stand a good chance against Serena. I don't think she could take down Barty, but you never know.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
For those ones saying is sure Vika defeat Simo on grass, I must say that Simo beat her the only time they played on grass. Of course, every single match is a different story.

Reactions: d_b_prince

·
Registered
21,240 Posts
Vika isn't that strong on grass. Most notable result was Olympics bronze iirc but aside I can't recall her going deep even in her prime.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For those ones saying is sure Vika defeat Simo on grass, I must say that Simo beat her the only time they played on grass. Of course, every single match is a different story.
Definitely not a guarantee. Hard to pick.

Vika isn't that strong on grass. Most notable result was Olympics bronze iirc but aside I can't recall her going deep even in her prime.

She plays well on it. Not like hard, but she's underrated on grass imho. Two Wimby SFs and two QFs.

·
Registered
21,240 Posts

She plays well on it. Not like hard, but she's underrated on grass imho. Two Wimby SFs and two QFs.
I guess we're waiting for Mummyrenka to unleash. She's had some decent wins this season but getting over the hump hasn't quite happened just yet. And I think people write Halep off a bit too quickly sometimes. But good luck to her.

·
Registered
32,010 Posts

Yup always losing to Kvitova or Serena.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Isn't she playing Alja next? That match is 50-50. We should really not be talking about her chances of making the final at this point, imo even in the weaker half she's not one of the players to look out for :unsure:

·
Registered
34,318 Posts
If she has a rebirth it will be on HCs.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Stop trying to make the azarenka comeback happen...it's not going to happen!!!...it's way too late...

Reactions: ishgever

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Azarenka didn't play that bad recently and she's been very unlucky at Roland Garros.
At one point she will break through again!

She's in good shape and the draw looks good - so why not?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts