Tennis Forum banner

Big three or different slam winner?

• Either Serena, Maria or Vika will win it

Votes: 55 69.6%
  • Someone else will win it

Votes: 24 30.4%

Will we have a different slam winner for USO, or will it be one of the Big 3?

6K views 72 replies 44 participants last post by  Olórin 
#1 ·
Maybe I'm jumping the gun with the 'Big 3' title but in terms of 2012, Vika, Maria and Serena are exactly that - see the heated debate in the POY thread. Between the three of them, they've won every significant tournament beside Miami, shared the slams, and medalled/podiumed at the OG.

Question is are we going to see someone else scoop up the USO, or will it serve as the POY tiebreak as discussed in the other thread going to one of the Big 3?

I reckon it will go to one of them, but which one is open game. Serena obviously does well there with 3 wins and 2 finals appearances. If she can keep her cool and current form, she's an easy favourite. Vika has not fared well there but is this years HC queen and she's probably keen as a bean to get back to them, also is much better than previous years. USO is Maria's worst slam, but she has won it before and is probably eager to bounce back which she does well- followed AO final heartbreak with FO win, Wimbly disappointment with OG silver.

Aga is behind the three of them game wise, Petra is allergic to North America, and those random slam winners haven't been the thing this year because the big 3 have been too consistent as a group.

See less See more
#4 ·
I think that the chance that one of those three will win it is much bigger than that it will be someone else. Overall we have a big four though with Kvitova as the fourth member of the elite, although as said by the OP her doing well at the USO is less likely than at the other slams.

#18 ·
i take this, Serena can find herself in one of her bad days with a "lesser" player and lose when she is not so focus (like with Makarova), i don't see her losing an important match vs a big name, if she will reach qf she will win it all

P.S.
Changed my mind
Dark horse at USO and the ONLY possible big name who can stop Serena for me is: Na Rodriguez Li in one of her really rare goat days

#25 ·
If you all don't know it, Vika is heir to the throne when Serena steps down, loses it, gets old, and/or retire. That is my opinion, and I don't even like vika!!

#34 ·
Serena's definitely the heavy favorite. Between her head to head with Vika and Maria and the fact that these two tend to be meh at the Open (I know Maria's won it before, but she's struggled there since for whatever reason). Personally, I'd be happy if these two made it past the quarters.

I can't really see anyone outside of them winning it unless Saint Kim uses her holier than thou power to usurp another major title before she goes and procreates some more.

#41 ·
Serena's definitely the heavy favorite. Between her head to head with Vika and Maria and the fact that these two tend to be meh at the Open (I know Maria's won it before, but she's struggled there since for whatever reason). Personally, I'd be happy if these two made it past the quarters.

I can't really see anyone outside of them winning it unless Saint Kim uses her holier than thou power to usurp another major title before she goes and procreates some more.
:hysteric::crying2:

#47 ·
Kim might beat Serena for the title this year:oh:

I'll be jumping in joy:lol:
This! Kim if in form would give Serena a difficult time no doubt.

#37 ·
I would pick the one of the big three, though I would favor Serena and Azarenka ahead of Maria.

Serena's issues at last year's USO final was mental more than anything. She wanted to win it so bad.
Now that she has won a slam again and conquered the Olympics, I expect that that will not be as much of an issue, Everyone get's nervous. But its not the same when you're trying to win your first slam or one after a long time.

#40 ·
I hope Serena can close the curtains on Kimothy's part-time comeback here. The meltdowns this match-up will provoke even before the match starts will be a sight to behold.

Vika deserves a kind draw here. Regardless of her draw, I think she will go far this time. She's eager to prove herself in NY I think. Maria had lots of kind draws in the past years here but she played sucky tennis and fucked up. She needs to get over this 'day match' mental block.

#45 ·
Kimothy won't win. She'll beat everyone she's supposed to beat, but will lose out to a better in form player in the 4th or QF rounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.