Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to start, I think that Venus deserves to call time on her career whenever she wants. Her smile after a victory is still the same, whether it's a Grand Slam or Lexington or World Team Tennis, and it's clear that she loves playing and winning more than anything else.

I also can't recall a former World No. 1/multi-Slam champion continuing on when they struggle to win ANY matches for a year. She's gone 2-10 since September 2019 and doesn't even seem fazed by it any more. Falling out of the Top 100 is also a real possibility once her Indian Wells/Miami points come off.

She's entitled to and will get as many wild cards as she wants, but would her love for the game make her willing to go through another 3-5 years of this? Or is there a certain level of losing streak or ranking that not even she could accept? I personally don't see her stopping anytime soon unless her body forces her out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
As a fan of venus since 97, over the last year or so I've become accepting of the fact she's no longer capable of causing any real noise on tour now.

It'll change how I follow the tour without having a player I'm invested in, but I'm even a little concerned by how continuing to train and play past the point when any encouraging results are possible may impact her future health. I hope she's not compromising her future health and wellbeing for the sake of a very occasional tour match win.

But then I'm sure she's aware of these factors too

·
Registered
8,166 Posts
Venus has all the money she will ever need. I honestly don't know if she is playing with the mentality of actually being good enough to contend for titles, or just because she loves what she is doing. And really, who cares? If she enjoys the training, the staying in shape, the travel, the feeling of a match, etc.... it doesn't really matter anymore. She doesn't need the money or the pts. Like a poster said, she will get a ton of WC's if and when she needs them. If it gets to a point where she feels like she can't keep up, or the WC's dry up.....then maybe she steps away. Venus is just so likable, I just love seeing her out there, competing, and always giving what she has that day. She is still rather competitive, its not like she is losing 1 & 1 to these players. She is still in these matches, and makes them generally close.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
would her love for the game make her willing to go through another 3-5 years of this? Or is there a certain level of losing streak or ranking that not even she could accept?

obviously, there can't be another 3-5 years of this, because when a player stops winning matches, they drop out of the Top 100 and they can't get direct entry into tournaments any more. Venus's points are on until March, until then she can keep playing, maybe she'll make more points and if she does, she can keep going longer if she wants. Her record against players outside the Top 40 remains impressive.

You guys are inventing a problem that is going to solve itself naturally.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
It's been an awful year but if there is a year to play like crap without consequences it would be 2020 since her 2019 points are intact. I hope 2021 brings a new beginning 🙏📿

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
We had this exact same conversation back in 2012-2014.

Hewitt played long after he was competitive for GS titles, I think 13 years after his last one and 10 years after his last GS SF. Venus was in GS finals three years ago, and went a full 7 years between GS finals. She's fine playing as long as she wants.
Type it louder for those slow chicks in the back. She isn't some doddering old grandmother, she's a grown woman who can make her own decisions. No one was pressuring BJK or Kimiko to retire and they were in their mid 40s.

Some folks are so anxious to push women towards retirement when people say nothing to the men who clung on far longer.

John McEnroe was 46
Jimmy Conners was 44
Ken Rosewall was 46

If she wants to get out there and swing, let her swing. She'll do a far better defending a WC than some random hometown scrub.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We had this exact same conversation back in 2012-2014.

Type it louder for those slow chicks in the back. She isn't some doddering old grandmother, she's a grown woman who can make her own decisions. No one was pressuring BJK or Kimiko to retire and they were in their mid 40s.

Some folks are so anxious to push women towards retirement when people say nothing to the men who clung on far longer.

John McEnroe was 46
Jimmy Conners was 44
Ken Rosewall was 46

If she wants to get out there and swing, let her swing. She'll do a far better defending a WC than some random hometown scrub.
Bjk stopped playing singles at 40, mcenroe stopped at 33 (aside from playing a tournament when he was 35), and they both reached the SF of Wimbledon in their final singles seasons.

It all comes down to venus though, if she has the opportunity to play, and she finds it fulfilling then it's all good

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I think she likes traveling. But it's gonna be sad when she can't travel to WTA tourneys anymore because her ranking isn't allowed her to.

She deserves respect for waking up to train days after days even there is no result when it's hard for most people to even hit the gym routinely.

·
Registered
8,412 Posts
She needs to move to London, play tennis at her lifelong country club Wimbledon and teach rich geriatric tennis. She really loves the court, and been out there. Maybe like everyone else in life, she is still searching for answers.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I think she likes traveling. But it's gonna be sad when she can't travel to WTA tourneys anymore because her ranking isn't allowed her to.

She deserves respect for waking up to train days after days even there is no result when it's hard for most people to even hit the gym routinely.
My thoughts, too. Yes, she is getting WCs now, but the time will come where tournament organizers determine it will no longer be justifiable for her to receive one. And then what? Will Vee want to play qualies to try to get into tournaments? IMO, as soon as the WCs dry up, that's when she will retire. As much as she still loves the game, she doesn't want to be reduced to having to qualify just to make main draws.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I said it in another thread as well, but I actually wish Venus will enter more International level tournaments and aim to get title #50 to cap off her career. Serena won Auckland this year, and true she had a reason to enter in order to have a memory tourney with her best friend Caroline doubles, but a title is a title and no one is calling it stat padding or vulturing (because it isn't).

·
Registered
87 Posts
I said it in another thread as well, but I actually wish Venus will enter more International level tournaments and aim to get title #50 to cap off her career. Serena won Auckland this year, and true she had a reason to enter in order to have a memory tourney with her best friend Caroline doubles, but a title is a title and no one is calling it stat padding or vulturing (because it isn't).
She did tho, she played international events in the fall last year and before lockdown, and lost 1st round in all of them 😭

·
Registered
7,558 Posts

This is the answer.

That said ya’ll are delusional if you think Venus can’t be a top 10 doubles player at any moment in time. I’m not sure if she wants that but she can certainly play top doubles for a while and maintain a level of super star tennis treatment. Honestly, she may bring good publicity to women’s dubs if she did.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Reasons to retire:

• You stop enjoying life as a professional tennis player
  • Your ranking won't allow you to continue
  • You get injured
  • You get banned
  • You have personal issues that require you to retire
  • Politics/events out of your control
So far, none of these seem to apply to Venus.

Moving on!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm sure part of what keeps her going is the lack of depth in women's tennis, and that the mental fragility of most opponents means she always has a shot at a deep run in any given tournament. We just saw a woman who hasn't played a professional match in three years, and left tennis ranked outside the top 100, make a GS QF; why wouldn't Venus believe she has a shot any time she steps on the court?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Reasons to retire:

• You stop enjoying life as a professional tennis player
  • Your ranking won't allow you to continue
  • You get injured
  • You get banned
  • You have personal issues that require you to retire
  • Politics/events out of your control
So far, none of these seem to apply to Venus.

Moving on!
I'd like to add the choice: "Still love the game of tennis and is healthy, but is fully satisfied with what you have accomplished in your career and decide to leave happily on your own terms to start a 2nd career", which I hope is the way Venus ends her career some day.

·
Registered
27,918 Posts
I LOVE Venus, but yesterday in Rome she looks exhausted, painful and uncomfortable losing to her mini pigeon Vika. I hope she still enjoys the game as much as we think she does

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's not live for the game. It's false hope that keeps her playing.
Venus loves the game so much she makes every set as long as possible /s. Honestly though, you're not watching her if you don't think she loves it.
Will echo some other posters - wish she would play doubles. She was the best doubles player of her generation. With the improved serve this year, she could team with many of the girls out there and win slams.
I think Venus is the streakiest player ever. Suddenly she'll have another good result and these types of threads can Rip Van Winkle for another couple years.
Venus is independent and stubborn and will only leave on her terms. She's also pretty guarded so who knows what those may be.
She'll never stop being a joy to watch. When her all-court game is flowing, it's still stunning.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts