Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If she is, she can't be seeded any higher than 30.

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
Assuming there's no huge upsets at RG by players ranked lower than her, she'll be ranked 31. Then it will depend on whether or not she plays a pre-Wimby tourney (unlikely I'd guess), and what others do in the grass court pre-season. It'll be a borderline thing.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I thought Wimbledon did seeding differently based on previous results and not rankings?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I thought Wimbledon did seeding differently based on previous results and not rankings?
It happens on rare occasions. Usually they still base it on rankings.

Possibly though, if she's unseeded and if a player seeded between 17-32 withdraws, Wimbledon may give her that seeding. Last year, she was seeded 6 spots above her ranking.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I hope Venus would be seeded because I don't want Hingis to play her in first round.

Also, people should stop bashing Venus. Eveyone has ups and downs in their career. Venus is still a great champion. She could beat anyone badly in her good days.

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
She's a 3 time champion....I'm sure she will make the top 32 seeds

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
11,195 Posts
I have a feeling Venus will start taking her tennis more seriously after the last two defeats and participate in more tourneys.....

·
Registered
621 Posts
Well with the ranking system she won the tourny two years ago so that should help a lot. When Serena was the two time defending champion in 04 she was ranked like 10 and seeded 1 so winning two years ago might give her about 5 or 10 places up.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well, I believe that was the time where both Venus & Serena got some super special seeding or somthing like that.. Wasn't really based on Wimbledon's own seeidng system. Plus, isn't it a rule that Wimbledon can only change the seedings within the top 32? as in they can't bump anyone in the top 32 out, but they can change the order within the top 32?

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
oops :) that's a bit weird though. what about the other players who work hard for their seed numbers, too ?

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
36,713 Posts
Well, I believe that was the time where both Venus & Serena got some super special seeding or somthing like that.. Wasn't really based on Wimbledon's own seeidng system. Plus, isn't it a rule that Wimbledon can only change the seedings within the top 32? as in they can't bump anyone in the top 32 out, but they can change the order within the top 32?
That is indeed the rule. There is now a complicated system in place for seeding purposes at Wimbledon which takes account of a players success on Grass over the last couple of years. But this only applies to those players that would be amongst the top 32 seeds prior to any alterations by Wimbledon. Thus if Venus is amongst the top 32 when seeding is done her seed will be substantially higher that the 32 or 31 it would likely have been otherwise. However if she doesn't make it into the top 32 she will not be seeded at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts