Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like Davenport may not be fully recovered by the start of the Australian Open, Hingis is a big question mark and Capriati needs to win to avoid losing points.

All of this and VENUS is the runaway favorite with only 576 points between her and the current leader at this time and a win at Oz should put her right where she belongs ... at #1

http://*******************/sports/tennis/_photos/2002-01-05-front-williams.jpg

This should be an interesting year indeed. ;)

TR:cool:
The Chairman

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
She has to defend her semifinal points too.;) So I dunno yet but she'll get close.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
If Jenn wins, she's #1
If Lindsay wins, she's #1

If Venus wins AND Lindsay loses in the QF's or earlier, Venus will be #1.

Martina probably has a statistical chance of being #1, but it would involved early round loses by Lindsay, Jenn and Venus. AND Martina winning the title.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I believe another way for Venus to get the number one ranking is if she beats Capriati and Davenport, by winning the tournamanet. This might sound difficult task, but Venus already beaten both players back-to-back, remember Pilot Pen.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Tee-Rexx let's not count our chickens before they hatch. Venus must reach semi's to even gain points. Actually that is my personal goal for her... to just get to that semi-final. But on a side note. What if Lindsay withdraws and Jennifer loses in Quarters and Venus makes semi again. Can she get to #1? Anyhow I think it will be after Sydney when she gets that #1 rank. Hell it could be at the end of the year being that she doesn't have much to defend at the end of the year. So even if she doesn't win Wimby and US Open she will still get points.:)

And let us not forget about a healthy Serena. I look for her to rise in rank maybe even top 3.

·
Premium Member
21,309 Posts
I read in the papers today that for Venus to get it, then Lindsay and Jennifer basically have to be absent from the second week and she would have to match last years effort or better?

We'll see!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I'm amazed Venus fans care that much. It is SO going to happen in the next few months anyway. Lindsay is injured and even if Jennifer can somehow hold Venus off until May the French Open will decide it because Jen is defending champion and Venus is defending two points!!!

It is 100% going to happen this year. Probably after the Australian Open, but if not within a few weeks I would guess and definitely after the French Open!

Good luck to her. I think she will be battling Serena for it by the end of the year though!

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
We care becasue there's no such thing as 100% sure. We were 2001 was the year. Venus won two GS titles in 2000. Surely she'd repeat that. Well she did. And didn't get to #1. I'll be the lunatic dancing on the mountain top when it happens.

IF it happens.

What if she wins OZ and WB and ends the year ranked #2?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Yeah... with Venus playing on such a light schedule .... :rolleyes: How can I be too sure? ;)

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
The no.1 spot is there for the taking if Venus wants it this year, just as it was last year.

Good luck to her :)

·
Registered
626 Posts

I think it will happen at the Open de Gaz in Paris. Also they say she is playing Dubai. That will be three additional tournies (including Gold Coast) which is really all she needs.

Venus doesn't need to play 20 tounries to be numero uno - just 16 or 17.

You ARE number one Venus. Just do it!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
:rolleyes: @Mark Newman.. why of course we fans care that much. Duh but Venus is our favorite and we wish her to get that #1 rank.:rolleyes: Naturally alot of us are really wishing Venus well in 2002 and that #1 spot. It's been eluding us far too long.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The problem with Venus is the fact that she constantly pulls out of tournaments. Now if only she would actually play the full 17, then she would easily be the most dominant player on the tour. If she decides to play a full schedule this year then there's no doubt in my mind that she'll be #1!

Whether she'll get it straight after the Australian Open i'm not so sure about...if that means both Davenport and Capriati have to go out in the first week I think it's unlikely. Venus will probably take the title, but she'll probably have to beat Capriati in the semi's and Davenport in the finals...

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
I still don't think being number one means that much. I would much rather see venus stay healthy and happy and win grandslams. However, if she wants to play more tournaments then I'm certainly not going to gripe because I love to see her play! If she reaches number one, fantastic, if not who cares? It seems to me that a lot of people just want to see her number one so that they can feel justified that the outdated ranking system works( i know about the changes but not quite sure about them until the year progresses).

It seems like everyone and their mother, given the choice, would rather win tournaments and slams than maintain a number one ranking.

Now, does anyone know if satellite gives access to the austrailian tournaments with live coverage?

cyb

·
Registered
10 Posts
i think #1 means a lot...after all, Hingis was so desperate to hold onto it she played played played all year! I think it means a lot, perhaps a Slam event means more, but to know that you are the best in your sport must be an incredible feeling...

Then again, judging by the current state of the rankings I can't say that the best player in the world in 2001 is #1...

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Remember that the Grand slams give more points this year.

If Venus wins the whole thing, she'll have over 5000 points.
There's no way Jen can have more than that if she fails to repeat as champion, even if she wins in Sydney.
Lindsay is at 4700 right now, so she'd have to make the finals to stay on top, and even then it would be close. If she loses in the semis, and Venus wins the whole thing, Venus is #1.
If Lindsay and Jen both lose before the semis, then Venus would make #1 even if she loses in the final.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
spicebrain said:
i think #1 means a lot...after all, Hingis was so desperate to hold onto it she played played played all year!
True. But a skeptical mind could hint that the No. 1 ranking was the only major accolade within her reach, given her chronic Grand Slam allergy, and thus it automatically grew in stature.

When she had to hire a full-time trophy cleaner in 1997, I'm sure she didn't care nearly as much about her numerical WTA lead.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts