Tennis Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
182,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
somehow i doubt it, I can only see it happening if Lindsay doesn't come back in time and loses her points

otherwise it will be a first

no changes in top 10 since ranks started.

I dont think thats a good thing but the others will have to do something about it and quick.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Current top ten are just too strong for the rest. Just look at the way they ripped through the competition at the AO...

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Yup. Williams_Rulez, it doesn't look likely.

With Lina and Nadya injured, Daja's singles play up on moon patrol, Iroda in fits and starts.

Anna could come back to Top 10 this year, but I doubt it. Sandrine's not started well at all. Meghann? I don't think so. Elena? Why doesn't she have a full-time coach travelling with her?

Daniela would have to play out of her skin and actually <i> beat </i> the best, rather than just testing them.

The internal fight <i> in </i> the Top 10 will be hot though. The (very real) possiblity of Kim making #1 coupled with Venus, Jen, Monica.

It could prove really exciting in different ways to those we imagined.

·
20,610 Posts
The fight for number 1 is the closest in years!! This is proving to be an exciting year.

Fight for number 6 is tight too!

·
Premium Member
182,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the gap between #10 and #11 is around 600 pts

and if Monica beats Hingis tomorrow the gap will be 800 pts.

I'm sure one of the youngsters will make a spurt towards the top 10 this year.

Lina's injury will mean she will be around #60 when she comes back instead of being in the 20's if she didn't get injured.

·
20,610 Posts
But Monica didn't play for many months last year, so the gap will increase for sure.

Dokic didn't have good results all year, so if she plays well, then her point total will increase further.

Mauresmo played spottily last year, so if she can bank in on the bad patches, her point total will improve. Having said that, I think that if some one were to drop out of the top 10, it'll be her cause her point are in bunches. But I doubt she will. :)

As for Serena, she is playing more tournies this year, so the problem will be solved.

Justine can mantain her preformance and she'll stay in the top 10.

Sandrine, Meghann and Daniela are just not of that class yet. I doubt they can rake up enough points to close in on that 600 point gap which will grow wider soon :)

·
Registered
32,932 Posts
Daniela... it would be excellent if she can break into the Top 15!

·
Premium Member
21,420 Posts
Well I havent paid attention to the points, but wow 600 is a lot! It looks as tho this Top 10 is set....

as for potential upstarts, out of the youngsters, Iroda is my choice. If this girl can keep her head together and those errors (way) down, she'll be a force... I dont think she's got much to defend til mid year onwards...so hopefully with some great results to come we can see her make her charge! (Although top 10 might be a lil far off at this stage)

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I think it's a bit early to say that the top 10 will remain exactly the same. Look at Anna - #8 not so long ago and now #99. that's what injury can do for your ranking.

If Amelie doesn't defend her clay season points, I think she'll be out of the top 10 as she's not consistent enough on other surfaces.

Meghan is perhaps the most likely to rise.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I guess it's swings and roundabouts, Iroda went on that winning spree after Wimbledon, Justine's points to defend speak for themselves. She'll have to have a very good clay season.

Daniela should be able to gain tho'. :)

·
Registered
16,198 Posts
I can't see Anna entering the top-10 this year, she will have a lot of tough draws which will prevent her climbing up the ranks to #10 in one year.

·
Registered
336 Posts
wow, so the top ten is so strong
i think the only change would be
ranking in topten
if let me choose the one to drop
from topten i would pick momo
and the rising would be dementiava
in case she has concentration enough
henin is quite risky
iroda ,i think she just cant make it imo ;)

·
Banned
692 Posts
I defintly think Docik will move out, maybe some room for barbera schett, maybe or shaunessy

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Linton, Dokic has something that neither Shaughnessy or Schett can call on right now: consistency.

Dokic has had "Top Ten Player" written all over her for 2 and-a-half years, and last year started to justify that with consistently good performances - often consistently great achievements.

She may lose form or whatever, but I can't see Schett putting the sort of run together that would take advantage of slip-ups from <i> any </i> of the Top Ten.

·
Banned
368 Posts
TheBoiledEgg said:
the gap between #10 and #11 is around 600 pts

and if Monica beats Hingis tomorrow the gap will be 800 pts.

I'm sure one of the youngsters will make a spurt towards the top 10 this year.

Lina's injury will mean she will be around #60 when she comes back instead of being in the 20's if she didn't get injured.
cant believe back then the gap was 800 pts :eek:
and now it's like 50.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts