Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No VENUS. No SERENA. But still a valid U.S. Open for the field, however, this year's winner may have a very hollow victory by winning and not only not facing either WILLIAMS, but, not even to having to have to consider facing either athlete.

Perhaps an * will be placed next to the winners name to denote "* won without worry of the WILLIAMS" on the Open trophy. :)

I am sure that the CBS execs have put an asterisk next to this year's competition and prime time telecast. :)

·
Banned
1,830 Posts
They should have put one against a few of Steffi's GS titles as well !!:eeK:

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
and against 4 of martina's slams

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
and conchita, asv and mary p

(of course it's crap. you beat who you have to play. you can't change that)

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
They should, but won't.
However, all the commentators and sports columnists will.
And many already have.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
serena should get 2 too since martina was not there

I can go on and on

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't blame me, folks.
Read the articles and you can see that asterisk already being mentally placed by the future winners name. :lol:

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
Steffi should have asterisks next to all her titles: either because Monica was too young, couldn't grunt or wasn't the stame after stabbing, or in one case beacuse Martina was robbed of that ONE so significant point. :p

Monica should have asterisks next to her 1992 and 1996 AO titles, because Steffi wasn't there. ;)

Jennifer should have asterisks next to RG '01 beacuse Venus and Amelie lost in 1R, and AO '02 because Lindsay and Serena weren't there.

Martina should have asterisks next to Wimbledon '97, USO '97 and AO '98 titles because Steffi wasn't there.

The list goes on...
:)

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Damm! All of the players ought to pull out of the women's draw rather than be stuck with the shame of winning.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, VENUS is a 2 time champ. No asterisk would be needed. :p

·
Registered
547 Posts
So since Lindsay has won it before, no asterik would be needed either. Oh I get it, only someone who has won before would deserve it.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Naw, if the winner is not a WILLIAMS or did not beat a WILLIAMS or have a single WILLIAMS in the draw, the sports writers will give them an asterisk. :)

·
Registered
17,922 Posts
Phil Jackson was Mr. Give-em-an-Asterisk when his team failed to win in the strike-shortened season. As a sore loser, no one should have paid him any mind, but I notice that asterisk still comes up when discussion of that Spurs' win comes up, as if the asterisk is legitimate. (As a Spurs fan, I know better.) :D

But tennis would be riddled with asterisks if they started this idea, as so many have already pointed out. Even Serena would have one this year, for beating a hobbled Venus. ;)

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
janie - No, a WILLIAMS is immune from those deadly asterisk. :lol: :)

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Presumably if the surgeon's knife slips or Venus decides on a designing career every other GS champion will get an asterix for the next 30000000000 years till this universe ends in a tennis playing form?

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
I have a better idea. Every pre-1998 GS champion should have an asterisk next to her name because they were just lucky to play when the sisters weren't around. ;)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I'm sure its not the first time the world #'s 2&5 have been out of a grand slam, so they shouldn't get an asterix after their name.

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
why don't we just put an asterisk on every GS champion where Venus and Serena didn't compete at?!?! I mean, wow, if Venus and Serena were to have competed in the 1984 US Open surely neither Chrissy nor Martina would have been in that final!!! So asterisk on that!

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
TeeRexx said:
Don't blame me, folks.
Read the articles and you can see that asterisk already being mentally placed by the future winners name. :lol:
Is it beyond your "pre-determined agenda" to acknowledge a simple media fact? (Controversy sells, whether Clinton's affairs, did dubya knowingly mislead the world about WMD in Iraq, is Affleck cheating on
J-Lo, what's the deal on Kobe, you name it)! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts