Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An interesting thing occurred in tennis recently. Heather Watson, part of the LTA Elite Support Program, decided to team up with Varvara Gracheva for WTA125 Paris after playing vs her in Madrid recently.

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

LTA Website:
Rectangle Font Circle Number Paper product

Both are strong doubles players, that could eventually even threaten the title in this tournament. Imagine Heather Watson helping Gracheva win a WTA125 doubles title. Would the LTA share the news about the title win? Would they fear Putin using it as propaganda?

I'm afraid of what action the LTA is going to take against Heather Watson here. They were the masterminds behind Wimbledon's player ban, and now have to deal with one of their own athletes going against their choice and partnering up with a player from a banned country. Will they not allow her to play in Wimbledon? Or just remove her from the LTA Elite Support program? Or will they just overlook it and hope neither Putin nor the British government finds out about it? I'm just wondering what the LTA would do in this case..

·
Registered
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would they do that?
And if they do that then its bombshell worthy because I see that all the time here :)
Sorry you might not be up-to-date. The LTA & Wimbledon actually decided to ban all players from Russia and Belarus from being able to compete in Wimbledon. They want to prevent Putin from being able to create a success story and use it as propaganda.

Now one of their own athletes that they support (Watson) decided to sign up for a tournament WITH a player from Russia, which is in direct conflict with the actions the LTA has taken.

So the LTA has taken a clear stance in that regard, and now one of their own players is breaking it / running out of the line with what they have been doing so far (banning all Russian athletes from Wimbledon, and from all tournaments taking place anywhere in the UK, including ITF's and Junior tournaments). Are they just gonna be watching now? What if Raducanu partners with Alexandrova or Medvedev at French Open and wins it? It would be awkward as well.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Ok you mean if her work for LTA will be in conflict if she will work together with a Russian player? I don't think so. That is 2 different things. Outside the decision to ban the Russian players at Wimbledon, I don't think they can forbid her to have contact with a Russian player in general. If it was a problem and they expected unconditional loyalty from her then they had let her know that, I assume.

·
Registered
32,532 Posts
Shouldn´t she get a bonus? Clearly she is sabotaging Gracheva´s chances of success by playing with her!

Reactions: FelixLeo

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Okay, seems like I was wrong. Emma also decided to practice with Kudermetova today in Rome (2-3 pm):
View attachment 215734
Good to see that at least British players don't hold a grudge against players born in the banned countries.
You were "wrong"?
And, just when I was getting ready to advocate for Watson bring stripped of citizenship, excommunicated from the Anglican Church, and expelled (permanently) from the UK.
Oh well, You Were WRONG...
Shit happens...
Especially, when one is furiously posting 24/7 and never losing contact with the TF Site (in a Personal Mission of Spamming the Board with 70 to 100 Posts a day).
Btw--I just did you a favor:
Now, you can respond to me and rack up another post toward your Daily Quota.
That is the sort of Magnanimous Fellow that I am.

·
Registered
32,822 Posts
Good to see that at least British players don't hold a grudge against players born in the banned countries.
Of course they don’t. It was a political decision, not a personal one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
An interesting thing occurred in tennis recently. Heather Watson, part of the LTA Elite Support Program, decided to team up with Varvara Gracheva for WTA125 Paris after playing vs her in Madrid recently.

View attachment 215725
LTA Website:
View attachment 215724

Both are strong doubles players, that could eventually even threaten the title in this tournament. Imagine Heather Watson helping Gracheva win a WTA125 doubles title. Would the LTA share the news about the title win? Would they fear Putin using it as propaganda?

I'm afraid of what action the LTA is going to take against Heather Watson here. They were the masterminds behind Wimbledon's player ban, and now have to deal with one of their own athletes going against their choice and partnering up with a player from a banned country. Will they not allow her to play in Wimbledon? Or just remove her from the LTA Elite Support program? Or will they just overlook it and hope neither Putin nor the British government finds out about it? I'm just wondering what the LTA would do in this case..
Watson's form has been so poor recently it's if no real consequence to the LTA or anyone else. Maybe being a part of the LTA elite is a bit of a stretch for her now.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I'ts outside of wimbledon so there should not be an issue with watson

Reactions: aca99da

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
Aganim, just go get some sleep will you.
Watson can play doubles with whoever she likes, doesn't need permission from anyone to tell her what to do.

Reactions: FelixLeo

·
*Sesil*
22,994 Posts
I actually think this is a valid question given the degree to which the UK has huffed and puffed on the Wimbledon issue. Should Fed Cup players be allowed team up with Russians and Belarusians on the tour without sanction?

I suspect given Emma is also practicing with Kudermetova that this has been possibly raised with the LTA. Now should Watson play doubles at RG with a Russian it may make this more high profile in media terms.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.