Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· Registered
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If Clijsters does overtake SERENA and become the next WTA #1 player, it will be curioushow she will be able to handle that pressure of being on top of the tennis heap.

Hingis received considerable flak for being rated #1 while not having won a Grand Slam title in three years nor being able to beat either VENUS nor SERENA in a GS event or major Tier I.

Now clijsters could be in an even more precarious position as she has yet to win a GS title and even choked a lead in one GS final and is still being dominated by the fabulous Williams sisters.

All of which will put even more pressure on Clijsters in GS events to try and win a title in order to validate her top ranking and try to make the ranking a blessing rather than the possible curse that it could be to the Belgian.

· Registered
4,406 Posts
poor Kim, it's all Lleyton's fault for not winning GS at RG.:sad:

· Registered
6,762 Posts
I hope she does get number one just so I can see what the media makes of that.

· Registered
6,631 Posts
kim is not winning tournies conistently!

she is loosing more than she plays. She only has 4 tournie wins this entire year, and she has played like 11-12 tournies. That is not "consistently" winning tournies, when you are talking about number 1. Look at what Serena did last year, as number 1. She won 8 of like 13 tournies she played. That is "consistently" winning tournies. When you are winning more than half the time you are out there. Kim doesn't do this. She looses more than she wins. And those are not stats for number 1 players. Serena has won 4 tournies, out of 7 played i belive. And her only losses have come on what they call her "worst" surface. She has only had 1 straight set defeat the entire year.

· Registered
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Filip - So, I guess when Kim becomes #1 she will proudly state that she is the best player in the world, eh? :rolleyes: :)

· Registered
1,981 Posts
A little clarification here. Hingis beat Venus and Serena back to back in 2001 at the Australian Open. She held on to the number one spot until the fall of that year, when she was injured at Filderstadt. After that she as no longer number one. But Williams fans always seem to want to forget Aussie Open 2001.

· Registered
7,880 Posts
TeeRexx said:
If Clijsters does overtake SERENA and become the next WTA #1 player, it will be curioushow she will be able to handle that pressure of being on top of the tennis heap.

Hingis received considerable flak for being rated #1 while not having won a Grand Slam title in three years nor being able to beat either VENUS nor SERENA in a GS event or major Tier I.

Now clijsters could be in an even more precarious position as she has yet to win a GS title and even choked a lead in one GS final and is still being dominated by the fabulous Williams sisters.

All of which will put even more pressure on Clijsters in GS events to try and win a title in order to validate her top ranking and try to make the ranking a blessing rather than the possible curse that it could be to the Belgian.

umm...it's so not fair how 'the fabulous' VENUS and SERENA get to have all caps. 'the fabulous' KIM deserves it too :lol:
besides, Clijsters or CLIJSTERS(!) would like to know which GS final she choked a lead in...

· Registered
19,459 Posts
TonyP said:
A little clarification here. Hingis beat Venus and Serena back to back in 2001 at the Australian Open. She held on to the number one spot until the fall of that year, when she was injured at Filderstadt. After that she as no longer number one. But Williams fans always seem to want to forget Aussie Open 2001.
But she got smacked by Capriati in the final.

· Registered
19,459 Posts
caelestia said:
umm...it's so not fair how 'the fabulous' VENUS and SERENA get to have all caps. 'the fabulous' KIM deserves it too :lol:
besides, Clijsters or CLIJSTERS(!) would like to know which GS final she choked a lead in...
She twice was 2 points away from beating Capriati at the French.

· Registered
4,994 Posts
SerenaSlam said:
kim is not winning tournies conistently!

she is loosing more than she plays. She only has 4 tournie wins this entire year, and she has played like 11-12 tournies. That is not "consistently" winning tournies, when you are talking about number 1. Look at what Serena did last year, as number 1. She won 8 of like 13 tournies she played. That is "consistently" winning tournies. When you are winning more than half the time you are out there. Kim doesn't do this. She looses more than she wins. And those are not stats for number 1 players. Serena has won 4 tournies, out of 7 played i belive. And her only losses have come on what they call her "worst" surface. She has only had 1 straight set defeat the entire year.
I don't know the exact numbers but Kim played more than 50 matches this year and lost like 7 (?). Here's a question for you miss/mister-I-always-reapeat-the-same-thing-but-noone-believes-me: What did she do with the other 43 matches??

· Registered
877 Posts
ans said:
I don't know the exact numbers but Kim played more than 50 matches this year and lost like 7 (?). Here's a question for you miss/mister-I-always-reapeat-the-same-thing-but-noone-believes-me: What did she do with the other 43 matches??
Well said!

SerenaSlam, are you frustrated? Yes, you are frustrated, because Serena's #1 spot is in danger! Please, come on, get over it! She's still #1! When Kim can become #1, she 'll deserve it! It's as easy as that! Really, rankings don't lie!

BTW: The rules are clear! Also Serena knows the rules! If she wants to stay #1, she will have to play more tournaments! Serena is a pro, normally, the only thing she has to do is play... but if she also wants to do other things, she has to know what the influence on her ranking will be!

Kim can become #1 because she played 50 matches and she only lost a few of them! That's how you have to play in the tour: play and win!

· Registered
19,459 Posts
Filip! said:
Well said!

SerenaSlam, are you frustrated? Yes, you are frustrated, because Serena's #1 spot is in danger! Please, come on, get over it! She's still #1! When Kim can become #1, she 'll deserve it! It's as easy as that! Really, rankings don't lie!

BTW: The rules are clear! Also Serena knows the rules! If she wants to stay #1, she will have to play more tournaments! Serena is a pro, normally, the only thing she has to do is play... but if she also wants to do other things, she has to know what the influence on her ranking will be!

Kim can become #1 because she played 50 matches and she only lost a few of them! That's how you have to play in the tour: play and win!
This year Kim has won no significant titles(titles where a WS is playing). I know that sounds like conceitedness, but realistically, a title isn't that significant if you don't beat the best. This is why the tour championships was such a big deal for Clijsters, and her fans because she beat Serena in the final. No such luck for Clijsters this year.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.