Tennis Forum banner

Will the U.S. Open take place in 2020?

• Yes, the 2020 USO will start as scheduled in August in New York

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Yes, the 2020 USO will be rescheduled and held in a different location and/or calendar slot

Votes: 33 30.0%
  • No, the USO won't be played this year

Votes: 69 62.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
161 - 180 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
37,644 Posts
If America isn't the center of the world, why can't you stop talking about America? :ROFLMAO:

I don't think the effectiveness of a nation's response to COVID-19 has any bearing on it's global relevance. On the contrary, one of the big reasons some countries have been able to do so well is precisely because they are very much NOT at the center of the world (Australia and New Zealand for instance).

No country in the world is talked about as much as America, no country in the world has their culture consumed and copied as much as America, etc. I just don't see what country you could put above America in terms of global relevance if you're even a quarter honest. :unsure:
Depends on your definition of culture, tbh. If you think of Marvel superhero movies as "culture" then for sure.

I do think this crisis has affected the US's global relevance negatively, but not extremely so, I would argue that having a braindead sociopath with an isolationist agenda as their president has been far more harmful. I mean, he would be ridiculous as head of state even in a banana republic.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The delusions in this case are all yours, Mr. Wonderful. Political support for the lockdowns is falling apart in both the US and Europe
This when the USA has just recorded its highest daily total of new Covid-19 cases in two weeks? Doesn't say much for the average politician. In two or three days the official death toll in the USA will go past the magical 100,000 as well.

...and by July, the major professional sports will be back in swing on both continents...
I don't have a problem with that, provided that the risk of infection to all concerned (players, support staff, stadium cleaners or whoever) is the absolute minimum possible.

if you're counting on the orange baboon to institute travel bans to prevent the USO from taking place, you're really grabbing at straws. Arrangements will surely be made so that all tennis players who wish to travel to the US for the tournament - and you can bet it will be most of them - will be able to do so. The EU is opening up its borders on June 15th, and travel restrictions won't stop the USO from going ahead.
I'm not worried about the arrangements being in place at the US end - it's more likely that other countries will say "No, we're not letting passengers on flights to the USA." I'm worried about the number of players who will simply feel it's not worthwhile risking the lives of themselves, their support staff (if any) and their spouses/partners and family who might want to travel with them. I can't honestly see more than a handful of players who are currently outside the USA who would be willing to travel there NOW, even if allowed. IF, however, the USA is able to clearly show in three months' time that the risk of infection has markedly reduced, that's a different story.

What could stop it is if the USTA puts all its eggs in the New York basket, and then the outbreak flares back up in the summer. But things haven't been heading in that direction and it seems unlikely, considering how careful Cuomo has been.
New York has just had its highest daily total of new cases in a week.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
fuck crona. Ruined me financially. I hope usta sees all conditions.
I do realise that life in India means that tens (maybe even hundreds) of millions of the poorest people had no choice but to carry on life pretty much as normal and risk whatever might happen anyway, but would you rather that your government had not locked down the country, thereby saving many thousands of lives, or acted like Sweden or Brazil in letting life go on almost completely as normal? I know that it's an incredibly difficult and agonising process for most leaders to go through, trying to balance the health risks against the economic ones. But, in the baldest terms, even people who have been ruined financially have a chance of recovering eventually. You don't get that if you're dead - and this virus has killed many, many people who thought they were young enough not to be badly affected if they caught it.

·
Registered
35,771 Posts
If the US Open is willing to put on a tournament with no fans, this could be a major game changer.

---

The Department of Homeland Security late Friday provided exemptions for certain professional athletes from its travel restrictions that Trump administration officials have said are crucial to preventing the spread of the coronavirus.

The department said in a statement that foreign baseball, basketball, golf, hockey and tennis players, as well as their families and essential staff members, would be allowed to enter the United States. In his push to reopen the economy, President Trump has encouraged sports commissioners to resume play.

“Professional sporting events provide much-needed economic benefits, but equally important, they provide community pride and national unity,” said Chad F. Wolf, the acting secretary of the Department of Homeland Security. “In today’s environment, Americans need their sports.”

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
If the US Open is willing to put on a tournament with no fans, this could be a major game changer.

---

The Department of Homeland Security late Friday provided exemptions for certain professional athletes from its travel restrictions that Trump administration officials have said are crucial to preventing the spread of the coronavirus.

The department said in a statement that foreign baseball, basketball, golf, hockey and tennis players, as well as their families and essential staff members, would be allowed to enter the United States. In his push to reopen the economy, President Trump has encouraged sports commissioners to resume play.

“Professional sporting events provide much-needed economic benefits, but equally important, they provide community pride and national unity,” said Chad F. Wolf, the acting secretary of the Department of Homeland Security. “In today’s environment, Americans need their sports.”
Yes but do they still have to quarantine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Does this mean they don't have to quarantine on arrival?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Does this mean they don't have to quarantine on arrival?
Surely even the Americans wouldn't risk that - would they?

A New Zealander who caddies for one of the world's top golfers is heading back to the USA in the next day or so in preparation for the resumption of the PGA tour. From his interview on our TV news tonight he will definitely be going into quarantine. If it applies to him, it must surely apply to anyone else.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
^^ Further to the above, here's another golf story, this one about Lee Westwood. I'm quite sure that his thoughts are exactly the same as those going through the minds of many (most?) tennis players living outside the United States. The difference for the latter, though, is that tournament play isn't scheduled until the beginning of August at the earliest, meaning that players will by then have a better idea of how the world in general, as well as the USA, is coping with Covid-19.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
^^ Further to the above, here's another golf story, this one about Lee Westwood. I'm quite sure that his thoughts are exactly the same as those going through the minds of many (most?) tennis players living outside the United States. The difference for the latter, though, is that tournament play isn't scheduled until the beginning of August at the earliest, meaning that players will by then have a better idea of how the world in general, as well as the USA, is coping with Covid-19.

Gilles Simon said players will need 15 days to get back in shape after quarantine .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,816 Posts
Surely even the Amricans wouldn't risk that - would they?

A New Zealander who caddies for one of the world's top golfers is heading back to the USA in the next day or so in preparation for the resumption of the PGA tour. From his interview on our TV news tonight he will definitely be going into quarantine. If it applies to him, it must surely apply to anyone else.
There is something inherently absurd about someone flying from New Zealand where the coronavirus has been practically eradicated and where the virus has claimed just 21 lives to the United States where the virus is running rampant and there have now been over one and a half million cases and almost 100,000 deaths, and then having to go into quarantine. I mean seriously. A guy goes from one of the safest havens from Covid-19 in the world to the country with the most virus cases by an insane margin and he is asked to quarantine? The cheek of it is staggering. We live in an insane very mixed up world.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The delusions in this case are all yours, Mr. Wonderful. Political support for the lockdowns is falling apart in both the US and Europe, and by July, the major professional sports will be back in swing on both continents...
I don't know, where you got that idea, but you are wrong:

most Americans – including 68% of those who have lost their jobs or taken a cut in pay due to the coronavirus outbreak – are concerned that state governments will lift restrictions too quickly, according to a new Pew Research Center survey. A similar share of Americans whose jobs were not affected say the same (69%). On the other hand, only about three-in-ten U.S. adults in these categories expressed more concern that restrictions would not be lifted quickly enough.
And why should only the ITF Grand Slams be played? The tour is the bread and butter for the players. There will be a second wave in the US in 5 month and probably in other countries too. The unemployment rate in the US will be at least at 10% by the end of the year. A lot of jobs won't come back at all. Tokyo Olympics are gone. Their economy is crushed. The next Olympic games will be held in 2022 in CHINA. LOL!

Sarcastically you could say, WTA players are used to play in front of empty ranks, even before Corona. But now the money, the sponsors, the happy, good feeling is gone.

The old (white) people are scared. Many of them filled the seats in the US and Europe at Tennis events. Tennis is expensive. Even the orange, demented racist in the Oval Office is screaming at FauxNews, because they show polls, where they trust Dr. Fauci and Biden more than him.

Tennis like many other big sports, is driven by the big names.
And Osaka or Andreescu, or Tsitsipas or Zverev aren't big names at all to carry a sport after a crisis like this. Why do you think, Federer was advertising a merger out of the blue? WTA-Officials probably were begging on their knees behind the scenes.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
There is something inherently absurd about someone flying from New Zealand where the coronavirus has been practically eradicated...and then having to go into quarantine.
On the face of it, perhaps, but there's always an infinitesimal risk that he may catch it on the flight, perhaps from one of the crew, or from one of the TSA staff or other people in the arrivals hall wherever he lands.

·
33,816 Posts
On the face of it, perhaps, but there's always an infinitesimal risk that he may catch it on the flight, perhaps from one of the crew, or from one of the TSA staff or other people in the arrivals hall wherever he lands.
The infinitesimal risk of a New Zealander turning up with the coronavirus, even catching it on the flight, would still leave him (or her) far less likely to be infected than the average American citizen. One is simply not going to make a difference to one's pandemic situation by these kinds of attention grabbing but essentially vacuous and pointless moves. What America need to do to stop the virus in their country is worry about their own population and continue to practice good social distancing.

Yes, the US quarantining NZ citizens seems pretty daft to me honestly, it is a distraction and it will do nothing to tackle the serious situation that still exists in the US. It makes me think of the border situation between Sweden and Norway. I totally understand if Norway wishes to quarantine incoming Swedes, but Sweden quarantining incoming Norwegians would be plainly be daft, and a reflection that Sweden was in denial of the situation that currently exists in their own country.

It is really this simple. Quarantining makes sense providing a country is quarantining people arriving from countries with a far greater chance of being infected with the Covid 19 virus than people in the destination country. When the reverse is the case it is very much an empty gesture that will never have a tangible positive effect on irradiating the virus.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The infinitesimal risk of a New Zealander turning up with the coronavirus, even catching it on the flight, would still leave him (or her) far less likely to be infected than the average American citizen...

Yes, the US quarantining NZ citizens seems pretty daft to me honestly, it is a distraction and it will do nothing to tackle the serious situation that still exists in the US...
I'll have to disagree with you on this one. As can be seen from the new outbreak triggered in Seoul, ONE person is all it takes to set off another round of the disease. So long as the US is consistent in quarantining ALL arrivals, I think they should. However, this policy of exempting professional sports people and their entire entourages is, to me, stupid. Who says those people are less likely to have caught the disease in the country where their travel originated, or from people with whom they have been in contact while in transit?

·
33,816 Posts
I'll have to disagree with you on this one. As can be seen from the new outbreak triggered in Seoul, ONE person is all it takes to set off another round of the disease. So long as the US is consistent in quarantining ALL arrivals, I think they should. However, this policy of exempting professional sports people and their entire entourages is, to me, stupid. Who says those people are less likely to have caught the disease in the country where their travel originated, or from people with whom they have been in contact while in transit?
That's the thing. It is right for Seoul to quarantine people because they have an extremely low level of cases. Same with NZ. I made this point in the rest of my post. Last paragraph. I'm not arguing against quarantining people when the circumstances make it appropriate to do so. But when a country already has a high rate of infection quarantining people from low infection countries is an ineffective distraction that is not going to make any difference to the rate of infection.
It is really this simple. Quarantining makes sense providing a country is quarantining people arriving from countries with a far greater chance of being infected with the Covid 19 virus than people in the destination country. When the reverse is the case it is very much an empty gesture that will never have a tangible positive effect on irradiating the virus.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
That's the thing. It is right for Seoul to quarantine people because they have an extremely low level of cases. Same with NZ. I made this point in the rest of my post. Last paragraph.
I know you did. I still disagree with it.

I'm not arguing against quarantining people when the circumstances make it appropriate to do so. But when a country already has a high rate of infection quarantining people from low infection countries is an ineffective distraction that is not going to make any difference to the rate of infection.
You're missing my point. It doesn't matter what the level of infection is in the country where the travel originated. Even someone coming from New Zealand or Greenland or Eritrea still has to encounter people during their journey who are NOT from such countries, and therefore have a (sometimes significantly) higher chance of having the virus. Quarantining everyone on arrival, irrespective of where they started their journey, protects THEM as much as it does people in the country to which they have travelled.

161 - 180 of 191 Posts