Tennis Forum banner

Will the U.S. Open take place in 2020?

• Yes, the 2020 USO will start as scheduled in August in New York

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Yes, the 2020 USO will be rescheduled and held in a different location and/or calendar slot

Votes: 33 30.0%
  • No, the USO won't be played this year

Votes: 69 62.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
141 - 160 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
21,893 Posts
I wonder what the feelings of the players are about the U.S.OPEN being held or not at this very moment.
Not just the top players, but all of them.

I'm sure some will want to play in any instance, but others may decide it's not worth it.
Does anyone know exactly when a final decision must be made on the Event potentially being played.

Even if it was to be held as late as possible, there is so much to even potentially get the site in condition to play in a safe manner for players, officials and media.
Mid to late June.

·
Registered
113,373 Posts
^^Thats what I've been saying all along. If they want to have it, its the easiest sport to put on. Belmont Park is opening and going to have the Belmont Stakes June 20. Thats not a long drive, Belmont to US Open site. Maybe 30 minutes. Just check any online map
The Belmont is ususally the last and longest triple crown race. This year its first and shortest race.
The question will be, as I've said, how big a draw and can they get the stars who have to fly in

·
it's just me against the music.
27,188 Posts
If they announce a mini-tour up to the US Open, the players will come and quarantine. Washington/Cincinnati/New Haven then US Open. They'll have to convince New Haven to run their event rather than Albany. It's a better drive and all 3 events are relatively close to one another. Or they could get Forest Hills to put together a 32 person draw. It's doable.

·
Registered
21,893 Posts
If they announce a mini-tour up to the US Open, the players will come and quarantine. Washington/Cincinnati/New Haven then US Open. They'll have to convince New Haven to run their event rather than Albany. It's a better drive and all 3 events are relatively close to one another. Or they could get Forest Hills to put together a 32 person draw. It's doable.
New Haven refused to keep their tournament due to the tour asking it to be downgraded to an International. I don't see why Albany would need to move. Upstate New York is already reopening.

·
Registered
21,893 Posts
^^Thats what I've been saying all along. If they want to have it, its the easiest sport to put on. Belmont Park is opening and going to have the Belmont Stakes June 20. Thats not a long drive, Belmont to US Open site. Maybe 30 minutes. Just check any online map
The Belmont is ususally the last and longest triple crown race. This year its first and shortest race.
The question will be, as I've said, how big a draw and can they get the stars who have to fly in
No it isn't. All you had been previously doing is comparing it to a niche sport like UFC and begging for it to be moved to Indian Wells.

·
Registered
113,373 Posts
I said they can play it all along. I have the 2nd post in this thread & said I expect sports to come back this summer. I did worry about the location, but now that they are shipping horses into that area from California, with trainers and grooms, it looks very likely they can have it in NYC
If the USTA can have a hardcourt season with a US Open, there could be a lot of tournaments Sept-Dec
But like I've said, still a long way off. One step at a time

·
63,615 Posts
NFL is a domestic sport which is a very different to an international sporting event like the US Open.

Domestic sports are easy to manage. No travel restrictions. No self isolation requirements.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
NFL is a domestic sport which is a very different to an international sporting event like the US Open.

Domestic sports are easy to manage. No travel restrictions. No self isolation requirements.
Plus the US border is still closed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35,772 Posts
Whether or not the US Open happens in August (or at all this year) will come down to government. New York City is on a stay at home order until June 13th, possibly longer. Trump has also said that he will demand international travel to be reciprocal - so if France won't let Americans in, he won't let French citizens into the U.S. Given how badly the U.S. has handled this and the fact there are still increases in COVID-19 cases in some parts of the country, it might be awhile before other countries are willing to take that risk. Not to mention he's also considering a travel ban on Latin America.

·
27,188 Posts
Don't forget there are caveats in the traveling restrictions. i.e. Canada has an entertainment exemption so the NHL is looking to resume using this exemption. If conditions improve and the NHL, NBA and MLB are playing in July as expected, the US Open will be held and all competitors would be allowed in with conditions. The NHL is just as international as the tours so they will be tennis' guinea pig.

·
27,188 Posts
New Haven refused to keep their tournament due to the tour asking it to be downgraded to an International. I don't see why Albany would need to move. Upstate New York is already reopening.
This is a pandemic year. New Haven would take its spot back if it comes to it. The field and coverage would be great. The players would obviously prefer to travel as little as possible and even stay in the same place. New Haven and Forest Hills provide that. If the tour resumes, the schedule is not going to look like anything that was planned. There will be several makeshift events and changes.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
...If conditions improve and the NHL, NBA and MLB are playing in July as expected, the US Open will be held and all competitors would be allowed in with conditions. The NHL is just as international as the tours so they will be tennis' guinea pig.
How on earth do you figure that out? I've never seen any NHL matches in Australia, China, France or Greece. It's simply a US domestic competition which happens to have some Canadian teams involved.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Whether or not the US Open happens in August (or at all this year) will come down to government. New York City is on a stay at home order until June 13th, possibly longer. Trump has also said that he will demand international travel to be reciprocal - so if France won't let Americans in, he won't let French citizens into the U.S.
That seems to squash most hopes, because there's no way that any part of Europe will allow travellers from the USA in the forseeable future.

Given how badly the U.S. has handled this and the fact there are still increases in COVID-19 cases in some parts of the country, it might be awhile before other countries are willing to take that risk. Not to mention he's also considering a travel ban on Latin America.
Forget about the other countries or governments - can you seriously see players wanting to travel into:

1. The country with by far the worst record of dealing with Covid-19; and then on to

2. The epicentre of the American outbreak?

It doesn't matter what deluded Americans think - there will be far too many top players who simply won't be prepared to take the risk of travelling there when there's such an uncertain outcome, even this far out from the scheduled dates. Of course I'd love to see the US Open take place, just as much as everyone else, but I'm looking at it from the perspective of living in one of just two countries where the virus has been practically eliminated. Why on earth should we, or any other country that is not the US, put our top tennis players at risk by encouraging them to travel to New York?

Despite Craig Tiley's gloomy prognostications, I believe that there's a far better chance of being able to hold the Australian Open as scheduled, because Australia has rigorous entry procedures and mandatory quarantining in place. I'm pretty confident that, by December, they will be in a position where they can safely host overseas visitors who are prepared for the inconvenience of spending an extra two weeks in a five star hotel.

·
Registered
14,844 Posts
America is totally incompetent in handling the covid-situation. I mean their president suggests injecting disinfectant as treatment. And you guys think that players like Barty, Halep, Djokovic or Nadal will play in the US this summer? Dream on.. not as long as they do not solve this. America isn‘t the center of the world anymore.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
It doesn't matter what deluded Americans think - there will be far too many top players who simply won't be prepared to take the risk of travelling there when there's such an uncertain outcome, even this far out from the scheduled dates. Of course I'd love to see the US Open take place, just as much as everyone else, but I'm looking at it from the perspective of living in one of just two countries where the virus has been practically eliminated. Why on earth should we, or any other country that is not the US, put our top tennis players at risk by encouraging them to travel to New York?

The delusions in this case are all yours, Mr. Wonderful. Political support for the lockdowns is falling apart in both the US and Europe, and by July, the major professional sports will be back in swing on both continents... if you're counting on the orange baboon to institute travel bans to prevent the USO from taking place, you're really grabbing at straws. Arrangements will surely be made so that all tennis players who wish to travel to the US for the tournament - and you can bet it will be most of them - will be able to do so. The EU is opening up its borders on June 15th, and travel restrictions won't stop the USO from going ahead. What could stop it is if the USTA puts all its eggs in the New York basket, and then the outbreak flares back up in the summer. But things haven't been heading in that direction and it seems unlikely, considering how careful Cuomo has been.

·
27,188 Posts
A significant amount of players are from, living and staying in Europe. It's one of the considerations being made to how to restart the league. The NHL will be a model for the ATP and WTA tour - and all other sports.

How on earth do you figure that out? I've never seen any NHL matches in Australia, China, France or Greece. It's simply a US domestic competition which happens to have some Canadian teams involved.

141 - 160 of 191 Posts