Tennis Forum banner

Will the U.S. Open take place in 2020?

• Yes, the 2020 USO will start as scheduled in August in New York

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Yes, the 2020 USO will be rescheduled and held in a different location and/or calendar slot

Votes: 33 30.0%
  • No, the USO won't be played this year

Votes: 69 62.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
121 - 140 of 191 Posts

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,816 Posts
There's an expression. Where there's a will there's a way. Catchy expression it is too. And it sounds nice. It is an agreeable upbeat positive message. Problem is.... it's just not true. Sometimes there is all the will in the world for something to happen but it is just not feasibly attainable.

Those who wish to hold on to optimism that the US Open (and indeed Roland Garros as well) will be played this year, look at the tremendous efforts being made by US Open (and Roland Garros) organisers to ensure their events do take place. And this understandably gives them encouragement. There is no question the US Open is doing everything in its power to find a way so that the US Open is able to proceed. There is a lot of expectation and demand that they succeed as well. If the US Open does not take place it will have severe financial consequences for many people, including the TV networks, the tennis media, the USTA, the people who work at the US Open, the tennis players who compete there and numerous others. Additionally the failure to prevent the US Open's cancellation would disappoint millions of tennis fans the world over.

The US Open organisers and the USTA have a great responsibility to do everything in their power to make sure this event happens. They will leave no stone unturned, I am in no doubt about that. A lot of people are depending on them. Were the organisers of the US Open to throw in the towel and give up fight to hold the US Open in whatever circumstances were possible while there was still a grain of hope, heads would roll and rightly so.

But none of this actually means the US Open won't be cancelled. The complications involved in putting a Grand Slam together are mammoth even in the best of times. And these are very very far off the best of times to put it mildly. Economically the profitability of putting the event on without a full paying public is substantially reduced. Ensuring the safety of the hundreds of people who are needed to manage the event sounds like a logistic nightmare. Getting players to the event from all over the world when many are in situations where transport is limited won't be easy either. Getting permission to hold the event is far from a given either, particularly if the virus is still prevalent in NYC at the time. And given the fact that most of America is fazing out lockdown while 25+ thousand new cases are still being identified in the states daily there really is no reason to believe the virus will be under control in the US or specifically in NYC come August.

I'm no expert. Of course I could be wrong. I absolutely acknowledge that. But from what I am seeing taking place in the US battle to contain this pandemic, and from my understanding of the challenges involved in holding a Grand Slam I do not see how it is going to be logistically possible for the US Open to take place and I very much doubt that it will.

·
Registered
21,893 Posts
Yes, we are all guessing. I know Cuomo just allowed horse racing to start in NY
But it is interesting to see how this develops.
UFC, horse racing is happening and some football in Germany. NASCAR and golf are coming back
I cant see how the NFL plays this fall, but I can see plenty of tennis happening
Especially the events that have big tv contracts
Why can't you just say the best thing to do is to cancel the tournament? I WORK AT IT and have told them to do that. Whether they so much as listen is up to them.

·
Registered
21,893 Posts
Post #121 was my fifth and final post in this thread, oh....aside from this one of course. ;)

I don't believe I have anything to add to what I say there.
You stated it well to which I will address soon.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The Fall "spike" sorta plays here. If a Vaccine is only 6 months away, I can see it happening (sports in general). NFL is thinking no fans OR "distancing". All this is better than nothing, the rub is how much risk is really involved here.....

US Open doesn't have to be in NY. Tough call.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Over the weekend I watched a few UFC matches without fans, it was odd, but you can get used to it. I don't know how the athletes will keep themselves motivated to win, because some get energy from the crowd, and also use supporters for home matches to their advantage. Everyone was wearing masks, and gloves.

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Tennis has both a major advantage and disadvantage. Given that singles tennis is an individual sport, it’s easy enough to play with social distancing in place. The disadvantage though - and this will be what likely cancels the US Open - is that the players don’t live in the same place and travel restrictions will make it very difficult to ensure a proper field. Extensive travel is required to make the pro tour function properly and fairly. This will be the major obstacle more than anything to getting major events back again.

That being said though, we already have some exhibition events and I expect there will be more to come. Hopefully this can hold everyone over until players can travel again.

They can organize an exhibition in Monte Carlo - let’s see how many players actually live there! ;)

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #129 (Edited)
Tennis has both a major advantage and disadvantage. Given that singles tennis is an individual sport, it’s easy enough to play with social distancing in place. The disadvantage though - and this will be what likely cancels the US Open - is that the players don’t live in the same place and travel restrictions will make it very difficult to ensure a proper field. Extensive travel is required to make the pro tour function properly and fairly. This will be the major obstacle more than anything to getting major events back again.

That being said though, we already have some exhibition events and I expect there will be more to come. Hopefully this can hold everyone over until players can travel again.

They can organize an exhibition in Monte Carlo - let’s see how many players actually live there! ;)

This is not correct. If something cancels the USO, it won't be travel restrictions, it'll be that the situation in NYC itself makes holding the tournie untenable. Getting players to site is the relatively easy part... this isn't the Asian swing, you don't need to get people to 5 different countries in 6 weeks, and it's not like the players have got other places to be or better things to do... as for exho's, if you're entertained by them that's great, but the majority of tennis fans, to say nothing of the general sporting public, couldn't care less about such events.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts

The exhibition is at the Mouratoglou ( Serena coach )academy which is close by .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113,373 Posts
If they dont have the US Open, I think its because the virus came back hard in the NY area.
Beijing is opening schools and businesses. We have to see how NZ, SKorea & Singapore handle the next few months. They seem to have a better handle on things than most countries
Also, if China is returning to normalcy, they might want those events they have every autumn & that would be good for the WTA.
Its still a process, and I know there are a few trolls who over react to anyone saying they should not cancel, but I look at the other side, that Sept 2021 might still not have a miracle vaccine people are hoping for.
So sports, like UFC, soccer, horse racing, auto racing, golf, they have to see what they can do. And tennis can definitely play local events, they already have played some exhos. The hard part is bringing in the stars to get the bggest tv ratings, and again, its a process. The UFC has to bring McGregor & Khabib to their fights, just like tennis needs a few stars
As time goes on, governments will want to open up little by little.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
A Nascar auto race was run today with no fans.
Usually they have about 60,000 fans.
Will the US Open be played in November in Florida with no fans?

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't think will be played
Think tours should regroup
Schedule few tournaments at end of season
Concentrate on 2021

·
Registered
21,893 Posts
If they dont have the US Open, I think its because the virus came back hard in the NY area.
Beijing is opening schools and businesses. We have to see how NZ, SKorea & Singapore handle the next few months. They seem to have a better handle on things than most countries
Also, if China is returning to normalcy, they might want those events they have every autumn & that would be good for the WTA.
Its still a process, and I know there are a few trolls who over react to anyone saying they should not cancel, but I look at the other side, that Sept 2021 might still not have a miracle vaccine people are hoping for.
So sports, like UFC, soccer, horse racing, auto racing, golf, they have to see what they can do. And tennis can definitely play local events, they already have played some exhos. The hard part is bringing in the stars to get the bggest tv ratings, and again, its a process. The UFC has to bring McGregor & Khabib to their fights, just like tennis needs a few stars
As time goes on, governments will want to open up little by little.
The problem with your posting is that you don't live in the area where it's affected, so you're not really in touch with what's going on. Not your fault, though.

You keep comparing tennis to UFC and horse racing. The fact you do says everything. No need to add anything further.

If you were smart, you'd say the best option would be to cancel it altogether. Then again, I had to pull the Thiem comments out of you and you didn't sign Shapatava's petition, so......

·
Registered
21,893 Posts

The USTA should try everything to host it in New York. The USO at their Florida campus just isn't the US Open.

The players can stay in hotels in Queens. I doubt many Manhattan hotels will have the budget to give a freebie to every top 50 player anyway.
I can tell you that if push comes to shove, they really don't want to hold the Open here without fans. They'll do it if they have to and they will follow the government rules/guidelines/regulations, but it's not their first alternative option.

There's nothing near the site in terms of hotels. Don't know if you've ever been to the Open, but the National Tennis Center is located next to the 7 train, which runs along Flushing as an elevated outdoor line.

It's on the grounds of the old 1964 World's Fair (that's where the globe comes from). So yeah, not much centrally in the way of hotels.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #137

The USTA should try everything to host it in New York. The USO at their Florida campus just isn't the US Open.

The players can stay in hotels in Queens. I doubt many Manhattan hotels will have the budget to give a freebie to every top 50 player anyway.

This is good news, as it shows that far from wanting to run the USO out of town, Cuomo is looking to help make it happen.

I don't think the Manhattan hotels ever give free rooms to the players, my understanding is that the lodging is paid for out of the tournament budget.

·
Premium Member
38,681 Posts
I still don't know if it's wrong to play a slam without attendance. Apparently the players prefer skipping such event than playing it without crowd. To my mind, slams are pilars to be played every year and reflect the form and level of the players. If you have to avoid a crowd and only make people watch it on streams, why not. It's certainly a special context... but it could still remain something. But if it's just to hear people complaining about it, then not worth it. Just skip the whole thing until everything comes back to normal. But what looks like a pity, is the "financial" reason. I thought sports were beyond that, to some "noble" extent. I guess that was long, long time ago. 🤡

·
Registered
113,373 Posts
The financial reason is why most sports are trying to come back. Especially now, when a lot of athletes are in financial stress and need a paycheck or they have to find a different job

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I wonder what the feelings of the players are about the U.S.OPEN being held or not at this very moment.
Not just the top players, but all of them.

I'm sure some will want to play in any instance, but others may decide it's not worth it.
Does anyone know exactly when a final decision must be made on the Event potentially being played.

Even if it was to be held as late as possible, there is so much to even potentially get the site in condition to play in a safe manner for players, officials and media.

121 - 140 of 191 Posts