Tennis Forum banner

Will the U.S. Open take place in 2020?

• Yes, the 2020 USO will start as scheduled in August in New York

Votes: 41 22.2%
  • Yes, the 2020 USO will be rescheduled and held in a different location and/or calendar slot

Votes: 41 22.2%
  • No, the USO won't be played this year

Votes: 103 55.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1101 - 1120 of 1210 Posts

·
Registered
31,335 Posts
I wonder if they can arrange mini-bubbles within a draw. For example, all players from the men first section are on floor 1, players from the second section are on floor 2, etc.

It may be a bit complicated if players are playing singles and doubles but it limit the risks. A cluster within a small group is recoverable (you just cancel the section) while it will be one hot mess if there's covid related withdrawals in every section.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,104
So it will be 3 support staff/family members per player. This equals 4x256, or roughly 1000 people on site during the few days leading up to main draw play.

·
Registered
467 Posts
on the mens side, Nick Kyrgios withdrew, unsurprisingly
and he used it as another opportunity to start a fight....LOL...as always...even though he's right this time...

Reactions: networthy

·
Registered
31,335 Posts
and he used it as another opportunity to start a fight....LOL...as always...even though he's right this time...
The tennis world seems more eager to move on from the Adria Tour than they were for Serena's 2018 USO drama and calling someone a liar isn't the same as creating a coronavirus cluster and disrespecting the self-isolating guidelines.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The tennis world seems more eager to move on from the Adria Tour than they were for Serena's 2018 USO drama and calling someone a liar isn't the same as creating a coronavirus cluster and disrespecting the self-isolating guidelines.
I will agree with you there...Serena's tantrum was very bad, but a whole bunch of people disrespecting health guidelines and partying and being close to each other costs lives...i think because it's Djokovic, more people are willing to give him a pass, but he should not be given a pass...and I'm glad Nick said it even if he was reading from a script (I know he has already said previously said it before already)...

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
So it will be 3 support staff/family members per player. This equals 4x256, or roughly 1000 people on site during the few days leading up to main draw play.
However the richer players will certainly opt to rent a house for the whole team, so they won't all be on the site all the time.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
However the richer players will certainly opt to rent a house for the whole team, so they won't all be on the site all the time.
Are the USTA still allowing this? I thought they had changed their minds.

I personally thinks it's insane to allow players to rent mansions for the time that they're in New York, because the possibility of contracting the virus, whilst still small, is far higher than it will be for those players inside the hotel bubble.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
I don't know...
I guess Serena will do that for sure, as she does every year. So if she can, everybody can...if money's no object and they respect the rules.

·
Registered
15,416 Posts

I personally thinks it's insane to allow players to rent mansions for the time that they're in New York, because the possibility of contracting the virus, whilst still small, is far higher than it will be for those players inside the hotel bubble.
The document posted on post 1103 doesn’t mention the house(s) anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
on the mens side, Nick Kyrgios withdrew, unsurprisingly
Of course he withdrew. His faux outrage over Djokovic has caused him to back himself into a corner so that no one can call him out. He's a joke.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Of course he withdrew. His faux outrage over Djokovic has caused him to back himself into a corner so that no one can call him out. He's a joke.
Faux outrage or not...Djokovic needs to be called out...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I will agree with you there...Serena's tantrum was very bad, but a whole bunch of people disrespecting health guidelines and partying and being close to each other costs lives...i think because it's Djokovic, more people are willing to give him a pass, but he should not be given a pass...and I'm glad Nick said it even if he was reading from a script (I know he has already said previously said it before already)...
Oh my God. Y'all are so dramatic.

It has been said: Djokovic did not break rules. He went by Serbian guidelines. It was an invitational event. Everyone could decline without penalty.

Serena was a mess and she deserves all the negativity because she was a grown ass woman acting like a 4 year old toddler.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
The document at post 1103 makes it quite clear - all guests have to stay at one of the two hotels so it is pretty clear that all players and coaches have to, as well and there is a maximum of three. So the houses are out. Serena can't bring hubby and baby, plus Mouratoglou, plus Oracene, plus Jill Smoller, plus other Williams sisters, plus Meghan and Harry, plus fitness trainer, hitting partner, physio etc etc. She can only bring three of those people maximum.

·
Registered
15,416 Posts
I don’t even believe it’s true . Every tournament director is saying that they are not the Adria tour ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Two teams like Kenin, Sakkari and other lower ranked players can always give their extra two rooms to Serena's entourage. ;)
But what point will there be, when only one person is allowed into the Arthur Ashe competition areas? Only two others will presumably be allowed into the stadium to watch matches. The others would have to be hidden away and what would they do there if they are not allowed to be there? All guests have to be tested on arrival and repeatedly afterwards as well as players so you won't be able to have anyone there who is not your own guest.

1101 - 1120 of 1210 Posts