Tennis Forum banner

Will the U.S. Open take place in 2020?

• Yes, the 2020 USO will start as scheduled in August in New York

Votes: 44 22.7%
  • Yes, the 2020 USO will be rescheduled and held in a different location and/or calendar slot

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • No, the USO won't be played this year

Votes: 107 55.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1081 - 1100 of 1324 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Look at my post #1066.
Whilst I would agree with you if the tournament was in certain other countries, the chances of anyone in that crowd having Covid-19, whilst not zero, must be miniscule.
You can't have your cake and eat it too! You can't, on the one hand, state that covid-19 is highly infectious (much more so than the common flu) + is much more serious in its effects (also in some cases for the young and healthy) + may have negative long term consequences, and on the other hand, adopt a laissez faire "assume that what we've seen does comply with whatever restrictions the government does have in force" attitude. This is how it started in the US when people ignored scientific advice and relied on the prevailing government instructions.

All it takes is one to spoil the party (in Serbia, literally). Serbia, Catalunya and Victoria have all seen what happens when the peak is past but people become relaxed and new clusters start.

The Estonian poster you quoted from the other thread is csillag and he said "Estonia has had only 0-5 new daily infections in the past month or so (on the rise now because last week a partying covidiot started a new cluster) and the health authorities have a pretty good handle on where most infections originate from. So like Meelis said, everyday life is pretty much back to normal since June. For now." The key is that daily infections are on the rise now and approaching the peak from a month ago in Estonia. I would hate to see a new cluster develop from this tournament.

This virus is not going away soon and either we are all vigilant and take all the precautions, otherwise we will never bring new infections down to zero.

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
So right now we have planned 4 competitions: singles and doubles. What is the size of the US Open draw now? 128 as usual? And how about doubles? What is the size of singles qualifying draw? Normally it is 128. Will that be reduced right now or no qualifying?

·
Registered
294 Posts
So right now we have planned 4 competitions: singles and doubles. What is the size of the US Open draw now? 128 as usual? And how about doubles? What is the size of singles qualifying draw? Normally it is 128. Will that be reduced right now or no qualifying?
There will be no qualifications. In my opinion, it was also necessary to cancel the doubles. They are of little interest to both viewers and TV.

·
Registered
15,568 Posts
No qualifying. 120 direct entry + 8 WC , for doubles it is reduced to 32 main draw ( instead of 64)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
So is the plan to have 120 MD entrants and 8 wild cards? If so, how are the wild cards being selected this year? Is the wild card swap in operation? With no ITFs and U18 championships, is it just up to the USTA to select?

·
Registered
15,568 Posts
So is the plan to have 120 MD entrants and 8 wild cards? If so, how are the wild cards being selected this year? Is the wild card swap in operation? With no ITFs and U18 championships, is it just up to the USTA to select?
the WC swaps in operation . The others 6 are up to USTA to select .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
You can't have your cake and eat it too! You can't, on the one hand, state that covid-19 is highly infectious (much more so than the common flu) + is much more serious in its effects (also in some cases for the young and healthy) + may have negative long term consequences, and on the other hand, adopt a laissez faire "assume that what we've seen does comply with whatever restrictions the government does have in force" attitude. This is how it started in the US when people ignored scientific advice and relied on the prevailing government instructions.
Yes, you're right, of course, but that is why I specifically asked if the people that we can see in the photo are actually complying with whatever rules are in force in Estonia. None of the Estonian posters has replied, so I'm still in the dark.

All it takes is one to spoil the party (in Serbia, literally). Serbia, Catalunya and Victoria have all seen what happens when the peak is past but people become relaxed and new clusters start.
From what the Victorian posters have said, being "relaxed" had nothing to do with it. Blame the security staff at the isolation facilities, who have almost single-handedly (I know that's an oxymoron if there are several involved) brought Melbourne, and by extension Victoria, to its knees.

The Estonian poster you quoted from the other thread is csillag and he said "Estonia has had only 0-5 new daily infections in the past month or so (on the rise now because last week a partying covidiot started a new cluster) and the health authorities have a pretty good handle on where most infections originate from. So like Meelis said, everyday life is pretty much back to normal since June. For now." The key is that daily infections are on the rise now and approaching the peak from a month ago in Estonia. I would hate to see a new cluster develop from this tournament.
Agreed, but there are still only 60-odd active cases in the whole country. The new case numbers over the past few days have been 4, 9 and 13.

This virus is not going away soon and either we are all vigilant and take all the precautions, otherwise we will never bring new infections down to zero.
Agreed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes, you're right, of course, but that is why I specifically asked if the people that we can see in the photo are actually complying with whatever rules are in force in Estonia. None of the Estonian posters has replied, so I'm still in the dark.
Currently, indoor events are allowed up to 1500 people, but only up to 50% of maximum capacity and with enough space for physical distancing. Whether the Est vs Lat tournament followed this second rule is questionable, but of course the thing is that even when organisers leave enough space empty, people tend to congregate at the better viewing spots. My impression is that allowed number of visitors is an enforced rule, while physical distancing/space requirements are mostly not enforced. In fact, after the (soft) lockdown in the spring, there has been very little enforcement, mostly it is left up to people to behave in a reasonable and responsible manner. But of course there will always be some who don't, currently we have a cluster of at least 19 infections because of a couple of irresponsible young people.
There has been no mask requirement, only a recommendation to wear them "during periods of epidemic spread".

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
In Poland we are having the highest number of new infections since the very beginning. The main reasons are the wedding parties as our great government allowed those parties with maximum 150 attendands. Coal miners and their families are another source. Football matches with quite a high limit are not listed as one of the sources so far.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
What a gamble this is, surely is for whatever reason the tournament is canceled mid way or mass DQ’s the tour will be cancelled.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
What a gamble this is, surely is for whatever reason the tournament is canceled mid way or mass DQ’s the tour will be cancelled.
Absolutely! Look, I don't deny that things have gone better in that State but as you said it's still a gamble.
I don't trust the situation completely to be honest with you!

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Absolutely! Look, I don't deny that things have gone better in that State but as you said it's still a gamble.
I don't trust the situation completely to be honest with you!
Agree. The risk is just too high when you consider the speed of infection. It just takes one person from a hot spot to interact with anyone around the USO and it’s done.

Reactions: Be kind

·
Registered
122 Posts
Agree. The risk is just too high when you consider the speed of infection. It just takes one person from a hot spot to interact with anyone around the USO and it’s done.
Everyone is being tested before they arrive and immediately on arrival. They're also considering initially imposing even stricter conditions on players from hotspots.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,097

The great advantage of tennis over team sports is that you can isolate all the competitors (and their support staff) from each other. A couple of stray COVID positives are likely, but with proper restrictions & distancing rules, they can be contained. At least that's what the USTA is counting on, and it seems like a reasonable plan.

I read yesterday that the U.S. Open men's golf grand slam event has been confirmed for Sept 17-20, also to be held in the New York City area in Westchester, with no fans in attendance.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
I read yesterday that the U.S. Open men's golf grand slam event has been confirmed for Sept 17-20, also to be held in the New York City area in Westchester, with no fans in attendance.
For the upteeth time you can't compare Golf to Tennis. A Golf Player needs his Equipment and his Caddy and that's about it.

If you are an Individual Tennis Player at least in the upper echelon of the Rankings you'll need:
Your Coach
Your Fitness Trainer
And most likely your Hitting Partner as well on site.
That's four people!
And keep in mind EVEN if you arrive in New York and tested negative in regards to COVID-19 sometimes it can take up to two weeks before you feel and symthoms.

This is not good at all because Stacey is sooo greedy!

1081 - 1100 of 1324 Posts