Tennis Forum banner

Will the U.S. Open take place in 2020?

• Yes, the 2020 USO will start as scheduled in August in New York

Votes: 44 22.7%
  • Yes, the 2020 USO will be rescheduled and held in a different location and/or calendar slot

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • No, the USO won't be played this year

Votes: 107 55.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1061 - 1080 of 1324 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Maybe so, but don't forget it was an American player who burst the bubble at Greenbrier. While we hope that they all have the intelligence to do so, there is no way of knowing that all of the hundreds of members of the US Open bubble (players and their support staff, families, umpires, USTA staff, etc) will meticulously follow all the rules for the entire time that the tournament is running.
And was swiftly thrown out and reprimanded publicly?

Waiting to see if such a code of conduct can even exist at European tournaments that will have no bubble in place.

Reactions: vogus_emeritus

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Agents of the ex-first racket of the world Naomi Osaka said that she plans to speak at the tournament in Cincinnati, which was moved to New York. The Japanese woman did not show up for him, so, most likely, she will be given a wild card.

After this tournament, the 2018 champion plans to play at the US Open.
From which language is this translated from?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
And was swiftly thrown out and reprimanded publicly?
Which is exactly what we would wish to see at the US Open as well.
Waiting to see if such a code of conduct can even exist at European tournaments that will have no bubble in place.
The European tournaments are being played in cities which don't have the restrictions in place that would necessitate a bubble. Obviously that may change if the organisers or local authorities deem it necessary. In any case, it may well be that bubbles or similar HAVE been set up, and that we just haven't heard them described that way. We already know that players in Palermo must be on-site three days before play starts, and have regular Covid-19 tests throughout their stay.

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Let me point out that in those matches of Latvia vs Estonia: There are crowds, there is no social distancing, harldy anyone is wearing a mask or gloves, ballkids are being used.

The horror...

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Let me point out that in those matches of Latvia vs Estonia: There are crowds, there is no social distancing, harldy anyone is wearing a mask or gloves, ballkids are being used.
As was pointed out by one of our Estonian members (not @Meelis - sorry, but I can't remember who) earlier today, they only have 47 active cases in the whole country. I'm guessing that their restrictions on social interactions are pretty much zero.

·
Registered
74 Posts
From J Wertheim

Here’s my U.S. Open update, subject to change. As we write this, the tournament is still on. The USTA has held a series of calls, distributed a guidebook and invited agents and player reps to ask additional questions. I’ve been told that players coming in from “hot states” might require different rules, including a prohibition on room-sharing. There are still unanswered issues about players leaving the U.S. and then potentially having to quarantine in their home countries. The USTA is adamant that the best-of-five format will not be impacted. But as of now, it’s game on…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did they say what would happen if a player was tested positive during the tourney?

·
Registered
74 Posts

The horror...
I'm shocked at how irresponsible they are. I'm sure not everyone in the audience is tested, and it only takes one to be a superspreader and start a new cluster

·
Registered
6 Posts
As was pointed out by one of our Estonian members (not @Meelis - sorry, but I can't remember who) earlier today, they only have 47 active cases in the whole country. I'm guessing that their restrictions on social interactions are pretty much zero.
That might be true. But you have to keep in mind, that playing a tournament needs many people to travel across borders. For my part, this is irresponsible

·
63,748 Posts
I guess the tournament would be stopped immediatly, and all people involved, including staff, players, refs, need to get quarantined
100% guaranteed, someone will get tested positive. Just watch this.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It's Saturday, the final of the 2020 US Open. Serena Williams is in the final for the third year in a row, facing Sophia Kenin in the final. ..But an emergency press conference is announced at 10:00 AM that morning. The news? Kenin has tested positive for the coronavirus and must default. Serena Williams mysteriously wins her 24th grand slam title.

·
Registered
22,111 Posts

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Good news that the Cincy and US Open seem to be going ahead. I know this doesn't satisfy some people, but the sport can't survive without its biggest events taking place. New York seems to be one of the few areas in the US that has leadership and a plan in dealing with the virus - as long as the bubble is maintained, hopefully there won't be any issues. And I am sure any player who steps outside of the bubble will be expelled from the event like Danielle Collins was at Greenbrier. The reality is that the world can't stay locked up forever. We have to try to get back to a semblance of normalcy.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
That might be true. But you have to keep in mind, that playing a tournament needs many people to travel across borders. For my part, this is irresponsible.
Not necessarily in this case. The event was Estonia versus Latvia, the country right next door, which has only around 140 active cases. Again (although the locals [ @Latvian and @Meelis ] can correct me if I'm wrong), I assume that what we've seen in these photos DOES comply with whatever restrictions that the governments have in force. I certainly hope so, anyway!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
It's Saturday, the final of the 2020 US Open. Serena Williams is in the final for the third year in a row, facing Sophia Kenin in the final. ..But an emergency press conference is announced at 10:00 AM that morning. The news? Kenin has tested positive for the coronavirus and must default. Serena Williams mysteriously wins her 24th grand slam title.
Kenin? With the smallest entourage of any top player in history? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That would have to be the most reverse Karma possible - ESPECIALLY if Williams was the beneficiary!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I'm shocked at how irresponsible they are. I'm sure not everyone in the audience is tested, and it only takes one to be a superspreader and start a new cluster.
Look at my post #1066.
Whilst I would agree with you if the tournament was in certain other countries, the chances of anyone in that crowd having Covid-19, whilst not zero, must be miniscule.

1061 - 1080 of 1324 Posts