Tennis Forum banner

Will the U.S. Open take place in 2020?

• Yes, the 2020 USO will start as scheduled in August in New York

Votes: 23 15.8%
  • Yes, the 2020 USO will be rescheduled and held in a different location and/or calendar slot

Votes: 39 26.7%
  • No, the USO won't be played this year

Votes: 84 57.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
641 - 656 of 656 Posts

·
Registered
35,793 Posts
Considering Trump is demanding that international travel be reciprocal, this doesn't bode well for either the US Open or Roland Garros.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Considering Trump is demanding that international travel be reciprocal, this doesn't bode well for either the US Open or Roland Garros.

The US Justice Department has already removed restrictions on foreign athletes and their families/teams traveling to the US. I don't know if they'll walk that back, they want sports to happen.

A bigger question is will the French/Spain/Italian governments make exceptions for American athletes?

·
Registered
15,029 Posts
The US Justice Department has already removed restrictions on foreign athletes and their families/teams traveling to the US. I don't know if they'll walk that back, they want sports to happen.

A bigger question is will the French/Spain/Italian governments make exceptions for American athletes?
The exemption will stay , they wan sports to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Can they actually make this a mandatory event? Some players from South America, for example, can't leave the country. I'm not sure they can count that against people,

Very curious to see how it shakes out.
ATM we don't even know the size of Palermo MD, the organization said that possibly it could expanded to 48 players and even allow up to three top 10.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts

It's a matter of the EU, not of the individual nations.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Well it is pretty clear that this will mess up the US Open and Cincinnati as players arriving from many other US states with increased COVID, such as Florida, will have to quarantine. Like those players playing in Charleston at the moment for instance. The majority of US-based players will have to quarantine IMO as I doubt that that many are in NY and the other neighbouring New England states right now. The virus may have peaked in NY itself but that is not the case with most of the rest of the USA and so it is quite likely that COVID rates in southern states. California etc will continue to rise throughout July.

·
Registered
15,029 Posts
There will be a tournament that will involve players, who would have participated in USO qualifying. Venues around Europe are discussed. Points and prize money would mimic USO qualies.
Good news if they manage to do it

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I think the US Open happening will depend on what happens in the events prior too it. I think there's a chance it could all be called off yet. Depends what happens.

·
Registered
15,029 Posts
I think the US Open happening will depend on what happens in the events prior too it. I think there's a chance it could all be called off yet. Depends what happens.
Mostly if we don’t have Adria tour repeat ...but yes it could all be called off

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #651

I doubt this is for real though... the NYT article seemed to be focused mostly on the symbolism of the snub to US prestige, rather than on practical ramifications. The EU is going to review the situation every 2 weeks, and banning Americans for the whole summer will cause enormous losses for them in tourism. Pretty sure that everybody who wants to play the USO will be allowed in, and vice versa for the FO.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #652
It probably will depend more on the overall situation with US professional sports 6 weeks from now, than on anything tennis-specific.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
I'm beginning to wonder if the USTA will not withdraw any positive player AND any player that is caught outside of the bubble.
Like some drug tests, maybe they will keep it under wraps, but with the player taking additional precautions. Imagine winning via 4 w/o

·
Registered
31,245 Posts
Like some drug tests, maybe they will keep it under wraps, but with the player taking additional precautions. Imagine winning via 4 w/o
Oops. The "not" should have been a "now" but you're right, the temptation to cover-up a big name like Djokovic or Serena may be too much.

641 - 656 of 656 Posts