Tennis Forum banner

Will the U.S. Open take place in 2020?

• Yes, the 2020 USO will start as scheduled in August in New York

Votes: 44 22.7%
  • Yes, the 2020 USO will be rescheduled and held in a different location and/or calendar slot

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • No, the USO won't be played this year

Votes: 107 55.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
41 - 60 of 1324 Posts

·
Registered
14,845 Posts
How could they even find a place to host a slam indoor or even outdoor elsewhere?? 128 matches men/women combined have to be played in just 2 or 3 days maximum.
Indian Wells has the facilities to host a slam

·
Registered
22,111 Posts
Indian Wells doesn't have enough "facilities" to host a Slam. You need the same amount of courts to host the Open that the National Tennis Center has (17). Indian Wells has 9 or 10.

I won't even address the post from 5 days ago that throws out stats minimizing the impact the virus is having on the US, although the point of this thread was its impact on New York, not the US as a whole.

In any case, Mayor De Blasio has announced that, although speculation on his part, large gatherings may not happen until September, so that's that.

I'm curious why people are pushing for the Open to be played when the biggest tournament in the world and the British Open (golf) were cancelled.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
...I'm curious why people are pushing for the Open to be played when the biggest tournament in the world and the British Open (golf) were cancelled.
And you an American?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

What else? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Too many people and organisations with vested interests will lose too much money if it doesn't go ahead. Who gives a shit about the health of everyone in the city? We've got SPORTS to play!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
The only way I can see the US Open happening this year is if it is played without spectators.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Indian Wells doesn't have enough "facilities" to host a Slam. You need the same amount of courts to host the Open that the National Tennis Center has (17). Indian Wells has 9 or 10.

IW has 11 match courts according to Wikipedia and if I remember right RG managed with only 10 match courts in the past because of upgrades.

·
Registered
24,168 Posts
IW has 11 match courts according to Wikipedia and if I remember right RG managed with only 10 match courts in the past because of upgrades.
Also IW could have night matches, which is another huge advantage over RG. In many months time it's not unreasonable to think they could even add a few courts. The point is probably moot as it doesn't even seem like they're considering this. It's fun to talk about though. The more logistical strain would be on the resources of the community. IW is hours from LA, and while they host THE world class Masters/Mandatory event year after year, I do wonder how different a slam might be with the whole world watching.

·
upset I can't delete posts anymore
10,146 Posts

I won't even address the post from 5 days ago that throws out stats minimizing the impact the virus is having on the US, although the point of this thread was its impact on New York, not the US as a whole.

In any case, Mayor De Blasio has announced that, although speculation on his part, large gatherings may not happen until September, so that's that.

I'm curious why people are pushing for the Open to be played when the biggest tournament in the world and the British Open (golf) were cancelled.
the actual IW facility has like 30 courts or something with probably up to 20 that can be converted to match courts if they really need to (keeping in mind capacity and flow) and then shunting off-day practices to off-site venues, which is obviously not ideal.

But why the palm desert area would want to be the guinea pig for hosting a large scale event is beyond me given the local population and typical crowd. Plus, Coachella already officially has an October spot - why chance potentially two super spreading events early in the rebound period. But who knows maybe they're desperate for local revenue or something

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
No.

The 2021 US Open isn't a done deal either. We have to vaccinate 70% of the world to beat the virus, and we don't have a vaccine.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

Stop it with the false statements. They've got way more courts than that to use if they need them, and they could probably build additional. The facilities at IW are excellent and a complete non-issue. The issue that matters is whether Larry Ellison and the USTA and the town of Indian Wells want to host the USO in say, November, and if the answer is yes in all 3 cases, i guess it will happen, if not, it won't. The USTA could also bypass IW and simply use their own facility in Orlando for a November/December USO. I don't know what the USTA is planning, and neither do you.

·
Registered
14,845 Posts
Indian Wells doesn't have enough "facilities" to host a Slam. You need the same amount of courts to host the Open that the National Tennis Center has (17). Indian Wells has 9 or 10
Wrong. IW has 15 match courts and atleast 14 practice courts, they could use it for a slam.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
No.

The 2021 US Open isn't a done deal either. We have to vaccinate 70% of the world to beat the virus, and we don't have a vaccine.
Wake up from your fairy tale, no one is gonna wait for the vaccine, it could take several years to develop an effective one and vaccinate this number of population.

·
Registered
22,111 Posts

·
Registered
22,111 Posts
So this just in:

Anyone who goes out will have to wear a mask or face covering if they can't/aren't willing to social distance.

The MTA will mandate it on Friday. Some linespeople travel on the trains. Keep that in mind.

Of bigger note is what Cuomo said: "Wear a mask. What's the big deal? When will things be back to normal? When we have a vaccine, which could be in 12-18 months."

Of course, he has no idea if it will be this long, sooner or (god forbid) longer, but (without getting political) he won't let Trump open up New York again. He's made that perfectly clear.

Combine all of this with De Blasio saying that we may not be able to hold large gatherings from May to August and this fantasy of the Open being played is quickly turning into a pipe dream.

·
Registered
22,111 Posts
Decision to coming in mid-to-late June. Pause extended by Gov. Cuomo until May 15th. I still think it won't be played. Hopefully, they listen to me and others who have everyone's safety and best interests at heart.

This thread can take a break until then.

·
Registered
113,601 Posts
I cant see the US Open with two 128 draws. They would have to shorten it, maybe two 32 player draws. So the locker rooms are not crowded. Singles only. Thats still a lot of matches, but you dont have 20 courts going all at once
But they can have it if the politicians allow it. Its tennis, the players are nowhere close to each other at any time. Right now WWE has guys throwing each other around in the US. Because the local politicians allow it

June is early to make a decision. That sounds like its not happening
They could wait until the Washington DC event to see how it goes, and still have a few weeks to prepare. But if they are going to decide mid June, very few sports will be going by then
The owner of the DC event did a podcast, says he isnt concerned with making a profit this year. He loves tennis and wants to try to get the season started, if they can do it safely for everyone involved, even if no crowd allowed

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
34,538 Posts
I cant see the US Open with two 128 draws. They would have to shorten it, maybe two 32 player draws. So the locker rooms are not crowded. Singles only
But they can have it if the politicians allow it. Its tennis, the players are nowhere close to each other at any time. Right now WWE has guys throwing each other around in the US. Because the local politicians allow it

June is early to make a decision. That sounds like its not happening
They could wait until the Washington DC event to see how it goes, and still have a few weeks to prepare. But if they are going to decide mid June, very few sports will be going by then
If it is two 32 player draws it ceases to be the US Open. Particularly if those 32 players is a fairly patchy selection featuring only 50 or 60% of the top players. That will look more like a good tier 2 draw like Stuttgart or Brisbane than a Grand Slam. And I am quite sure such an event could not legitimately present itself as a Grand Slam. In other words, the US Open ain't happening.

·
Registered
113,601 Posts
You're probably right. But if they really want to have it, they have to consider a manageable field of players. 256 plus qualifiers and their teams is a lot of people

Reactions: Shvedbarilescu

·
Registered
22,111 Posts
What I don't think you understand is that hotels are not being used normally here, either. Add in that the facility has been turned into a hospital and I doubt players will be all-encompassing in returning to the National Tennis Center so soon and I don't blame them one bit.

As I said in my previous post, let's just wait until they make the decision. No point in two months worth of speculation.

·
Registered
113,601 Posts

·
Registered
22,111 Posts
Here is the interview with Dowse. He says 3.30 in, they should have more info by June. he doesnt say final decision has to be June. So lets see how it plays out
I trust what ESPN reports. Take it from me when I tell you he isn't the only one in the decision-making process.

You still don't seem to get that the ancillary things I keep mentioning are also factors.

41 - 60 of 1324 Posts