Tennis Forum banner

Will the U.S. Open take place in 2020?

• Yes, the 2020 USO will start as scheduled in August in New York

Votes: 41 22.2%
  • Yes, the 2020 USO will be rescheduled and held in a different location and/or calendar slot

Votes: 41 22.2%
  • No, the USO won't be played this year

Votes: 103 55.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
21 - 40 of 1210 Posts

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
34,367 Posts
As Power Shot makes very clear, New York is in a mess. There is no way a Grand Slam tennis event will be allowed to take place there as scheduled. I suppose there is a remote possibility of the event being moved to Indian Wells and played there either as scheduled or at a later date. But this is no more than a remote possibility. Basically I'd say the chances of the US Open happening as scheduled in NYC are zero or very close to it. The possibilities of the event taking place in Indian Wells are better but probably no more than 10%, 20% at the very optimistic. The strong likelihood however is that the event will be cancelled. That's how I see it anyway.

·
Registered
22,029 Posts
We have no vaccination. We have no cure. We don't even have a treatment that actually works.

Thousands of people are dying, especially in New York, and it's hard to believe that the US Open won't be touched by those deaths. Aren't they even using the facility as a makeshift hospital?

Like...how is this even a possibility in people's minds?

Even if New York gets their outbreak under control somehow, most countries still have travel bans. Most players are unable to train.

Most people won't have money to attend sporting events. Most people will be afraid of crowds.

Most players will be afraid of crowds. Most players will be scared to shake hands, use the same balls, towels etc. Most players, journalists, fans etc will be afraid to travel by air.

I see absolutely no chance of tennis this year unless we get a vaccine (which is basically impossible) or at least a VERY good treatment, one that works so well that it makes the disease almost insignificant. And I don't think that will happen.
They were using Armstrong only. Now they're using 12 different courts.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I doubt it. NY is the worst hitting state at the moment. The last thing they want is 23,000+ fans packed in one stadium and over 100,000 attending US Open per day. I don’t think we will have a cure by then.

·
Registered
22,029 Posts
I doubt it. NY is the worst hitting state at the moment. The last thing they want is 23,000+ fans packed in one stadium and over 100,000 attending US Open per day. I don’t think we will have a cure by then.
Even worse is that there's speculation that it may come back in the fall (hopefully not).

·
Registered
14,845 Posts
I guess I am gonna have to go back to the moderators about you after we were told not to interact (mainly quote) each other's post, especially after the lies you told on the previous subject.

In case you didn't know, I live in New York. You don't. I'm in the epicenter. You're not. I work at the tournament. You're a fan hiding behind a keyboard.

That being said, whether you're in Belgium or Germany, I wish you no harm by this terrible pandemic, but your constant criticism of me based on a dislike that formed out of nowhere (I see you quote me negatively more than anyone else) is likewise annoying.

Don't spoil any more threads by making me respond to nonsense.
I was not told not to interact with you.

Nobody knows anything regarding the US Open, we do not know if it takes place and where and when it takes place and with we I mean you and me and everyone else on this board and in real life. All I‘m trying to say is that pomposity is highly inappropiate considering how serious the topic is.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Even worse is that there's speculation that it may come back in the fall (hopefully not).
Well, Trump, wants to reopen everything in 3 weeks (early May). Good luck with that happening. Just wait until NYers are roaming the streets again, it will get even worse than it is now.

·
it's just me against the music.
27,245 Posts
Based on the ATP's president interview, he stated and confirms the US Open is looking into the possibility of not playing it in the summer, i.e. Indian Wells in November/December is an option.

·
Registered
22,029 Posts
In Singapore it came back! So I think the longer the lockdown is the better, I hope it gets cancelled for the safety of New Yorkers
I agree with you. In fact, this was revealed today:

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
34,367 Posts
Based on the ATP's president interview, he stated and confirms the US Open is looking into the possibility of not playing it in the summer, i.e. Indian Wells in November/December is an option.
If the US Open does take place this year, that seems to me the most likely scenario, yes. I still think the odds are very solidly against it. But we live in unpredictable times so who knows.

·
Registered
113,556 Posts
Its still so speculative. If they are not doing it with crowds, which is a huge revenue source in this event, they have to work with their home tv partners, ESPN. If ESPN has open space in November, maybe IW makes sense. They wont have crowds, so they need a lot of courts
But that is a long way from 9 April

·
Registered
22,029 Posts
Its still so speculative. If they are not doing it with crowds, which is a huge revenue source in this event, they have to work with their home tv partners, ESPN. If ESPN has open space in November, maybe IW makes sense. They wont have crowds, so they need a lot of courts
But that is a long way from 9 April
ESPN is in the middle of college football in November.

·
Registered
113,556 Posts
We dont know if there will be college football. US Open has 3 main revenue streams. Spectators, tv rights and sponsors. This is a fluid situation and they will keep open a lot of options, if they decide its worth it to try to play

Reactions: vogus_emeritus

·
Registered
22,029 Posts
We dont know if there will be college football. US Open has 3 main revenue streams. Spectators, tv rights and sponsors. This is a fluid situation and they will keep open a lot of options, if they decide its worth it to try to play
I'm trying to say 2 things here:

I know most of what's going on before anyone else because I work there (even if some people find this unnecessarily annoying).

No one involved has given the thought to moving it to another city. Roland Garros thought about it and thought better of it (even if we disagree about when they moved it to). Oh and they have the first 2 rounds of the Masters. That move to November is definite.

I already recommended to them to cancel the tournament altogether. Let's just wait and see.

·
Registered
113,556 Posts
Thats what I said. We all have to wait and see how the spring and summer play out
UFC 249, scheduled for 18 April, was just cancelled.

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
As Power Shot makes very clear, New York is in a mess. There is no way a Grand Slam tennis event will be allowed to take place there as scheduled. I suppose there is a remote possibility of the event being moved to Indian Wells and played there either as scheduled or at a later date. But this is no more than a remote possibility. Basically I'd say the chances of the US Open happening as scheduled in NYC are zero or very close to it. The possibilities of the event taking place in Indian Wells are better but probably no more than 10%, 20% at the very optimistic. The strong likelihood however is that the event will be cancelled. That's how I see it anyway.

But what if the epidemic will end there in July for instance? It is possible.

·
Registered
24,162 Posts
Unless they just decide to play it without crowd in some desert of the country, with special protected travel for all the players... I don't see that happening (not even 1%) because it would require a lot of people to organize it nonetheless (even mediatically), it wouldn't be worth it economically, it would leave a bitter taste in the mouth to even try to find some joy in watching it since there are more important things in the world like, saving lives.

I still wonder about the FO new date, though. If things look better by the summer, with much care over the evolution of the virus the clay slam could be played by the fall... the marge is thin (and don't even talk of fit preparation). I'm sure no silly risk will be taken by my government at any rate. So for the FO, I see less than 50% of chances from where we are.
I'm curious how you'd rate the chances of RG taking place at anywhere near 50% and the chances of seeing a US Open at less than 1%. The US Open could be played someplace in the the states in November with outdoor courts even. Stadiums too. Even if it's NYC or no US Open, I still don't see a 50x more likelihood of seeing play in Paris.

I don't want to have morbid conversations about the virus, but it's not like France is escaping it and the US is the only country that's currently beleaguered. In fact, France has nearly 4X as many deaths per capita than the US has. That will likely change too, but the point stands.

·
Registered
113,556 Posts
People are just guessing, which is fun. No tennis in Montreal probably means there is not enough revenue without fans. Thats true of most WTA events outside majors
As I said in another thread, big events have hawkeye, dont need linesmen. You dont need ball kids. Most players at every level below pro get the balls themselves. You only need 2 players who never get within 2 meters of each other and a person in the chair. Other officials can watch from a distance(for foot faults and time violations, only call if obvious)
Even the balls, have separate cans for each server and when you retrieve a ball use your shoe & racket to lift it then hit it over. So it wont be hard to have a small local event. They need to get players to Paris and US to play those majors for tv and sponsors. It will interesting to see how it plays out this summer and fall

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
How could they even find a place to host a slam indoor or even outdoor elsewhere?? 128 matches men/women combined have to be played in just 2 or 3 days maximum.

21 - 40 of 1210 Posts