Tennis Forum banner

Will the U.S. Open take place in 2020?

• Yes, the 2020 USO will start as scheduled in August in New York

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • Yes, the 2020 USO will be rescheduled and held in a different location and/or calendar slot

Votes: 43 21.5%
  • No, the USO won't be played this year

Votes: 107 53.5%
1 - 20 of 1472 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's see what the collective wisdom of TF predicts... major U.S. sporting events seem to be planning on going ahead by the autumn, although with some scheduling adjustments. In particular it would be hard to imagine the USO being cancelled if the NFL starts play sometime in September, as they recently claimed is their plan, and if the Masters golf tournament (an event which similarly to tennis, requires heavy international travel) is rescheduled for November. The COVID situation in New York City is much worse than in the rest of the U.S. so it would be a big surprise if they recovered in time, but i suspect that the USTA is looking at contingency plans right at this moment, probably for Indian Wells and maybe also (though less likely) Orlando or Key Biscayne, as the tournie could be played at those locations even in November/December. Nobody has mentioned whether the USTA has insurance against cancellation, a factor that would likely play into the decision, but we know that the USTA loves the $$$.

·
Registered
114,395 Posts
I'm taking an optimistic view that sports will be back by summer. But NYC might not be ready by then for a huge event, so my guess is the USTA moves it and they play 2 weeks after the French Open
Maybe at the USTA complex in Florida, or in Miami or IW. They need 50 courts for matches & practicing, but dont need areas for a crowd.

The world really changed in 2 months. I just saw Wozniacki's tweet that they postponed her exhibition match with Serena, that was going to be held in a packed arena in Denmark. That seemed like a great idea to say goodbye to a great athlete and now, just 2 months, after, a packed arena for a tennis exo seems like another era, like great times your grandparents talk about

·
Premium Member
41,598 Posts
Unless they just decide to play it without crowd in some desert of the country, with special protected travel for all the players... I don't see that happening (not even 1%) because it would require a lot of people to organize it nonetheless (even mediatically), it wouldn't be worth it economically, it would leave a bitter taste in the mouth to even try to find some joy in watching it since there are more important things in the world like, saving lives.

I still wonder about the FO new date, though. If things look better by the summer, with much care over the evolution of the virus the clay slam could be played by the fall... the marge is thin (and don't even talk of fit preparation). I'm sure no silly risk will be taken by my government at any rate. So for the FO, I see less than 50% of chances from where we are.

·
Registered
22,391 Posts
No chance. Despite what they say, the city is either at or hasn't yet reached the apex (according to Cuomo). The PAUSE in effect was extended to April 29th, so figure that even if things are back to normal some time in May (an optimistic view, to say the least), it still won't happen.

The tour is not coming back until July 13th. The National Tennis Center is being used as a hospital. In what world would players, fans, employees, etc. feel comfortable going back there so soon? Again, this is from the totally optimistic point of view, but I doubt this will happen.

@goldenlox, again please stop saying stuff that isn't true or that you know nothing about. It's getting both annoying and tiresome.

Reactions: Rokaj and ishgever

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I think they will play, but with many restrictions and possibly no crowd.
About the change of location, I dont see that happening honestly. Its NY or nothing.

·
Registered
14,850 Posts
Tennis can only happen when there are no travel restrictions, I don‘t see that happening in a few months.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I don't see a realistic chance to keep the original date.

In August, there will be no vaccine, no cure, and still very low herd immunity. The road back to normal life will be slow, with careful steps taking into account risks and the necessity of the activity.

Entertainment and sports events with a large, packed audience will be last in line to reopen.

Don't think that the economic pressure by the sports sector will be too important to resist. The economic loss due to the current general lockdown is so much bigger, and yet there is political consensus that it had to be done.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Right now they're using the center as a hospital and Louis Armstrong Stadium as a food distribution center. Still think it's too early to decide. They probably have until June or July to figure out what to do. It would be cool if they play the US Open in Indian Wells or Miami this year.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Unless they are extremely pressured by money, I don´t think it should and I don´t think it will be played. There are simply too many questions and risks. Will they allow such a big tournament with so many players from around the world? Will one of the most affected cities from this pandemic allow this risk in its backyard? I don´t think citizens will be too happy.

Of course there´s also the money question, maybe in a couple of months people will realize the ecnomic downturn was nearly as bad as the outbreak and they can somehow, guarantee the security for public health so that the event is held as planned. There´s too much volatility atm

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
Tennis can only happen when there are no travel restrictions, I don‘t see that happening in a few months.
Players' won't be in New York if they know that have to do a 14 days quarantine in New York and another one when they fly back home.

Life will be back to normal within most countries rather sooner than later but international travel will be the last thing to be lifted without any restrictions.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Players' won't be in New York if they know that have to do a 14 days quarantine in New York and another one when they fly back home.

Life will be back to normal within most countries rather sooner than later but international travel will be the last thing to be lifted without any restrictions.
This. I have been saying it for a few weeks. Tennis as a global sport is virtually over until there's a vaccine. If things start opening up in the summer, we might see tournaments exclusively with local players in the fall and winter. European tournaments with just European players, American tournaments with just American players etc.
Whether those tournaments will count as exhibitions or official events, it will have to be seen.

·
Registered
22,391 Posts
Let me indulge in the first two users Fantasy Land of the Open being played in Miami. You're forgetting one thing: it's played at Hard Rock Stadium where the Dolphins play. I doubt they or the NFL schedule-makers will accommodate the tours or the ITF, especially when the schedule release is no later than May 9th and the USTA would never work around the Dolphins schedule, especially since Roland Garros was moved. That makes this a virtual impossibility.

·
Registered
22,391 Posts
Depends on the rate of the decline of the virus. So the answer is maybe. Obviously there will be no crowd if played.
I hate to keep saying this, but unless you live in New York or work at the Open like me, you really shouldn't use words like "obviously" without knowing all the details.

Reactions: TERRASTAR18

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
We have no vaccination. We have no cure. We don't even have a treatment that actually works.

Thousands of people are dying, especially in New York, and it's hard to believe that the US Open won't be touched by those deaths. Aren't they even using the facility as a makeshift hospital?

Like...how is this even a possibility in people's minds?

Even if New York gets their outbreak under control somehow, most countries still have travel bans. Most players are unable to train.

Most people won't have money to attend sporting events. Most people will be afraid of crowds.

Most players will be afraid of crowds. Most players will be scared to shake hands, use the same balls, towels etc. Most players, journalists, fans etc will be afraid to travel by air.

I see absolutely no chance of tennis this year unless we get a vaccine (which is basically impossible) or at least a VERY good treatment, one that works so well that it makes the disease almost insignificant. And I don't think that will happen.

·
Registered
14,850 Posts
I hate to keep saying this, but unless you live in New York or work at the Open like me, you really shouldn't use words like "obviously" without knowing all the details.
Will you ever stop to shove your weight around based on nothing? It‘s highly annoying in this case.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
We have no vaccination. We have no cure. We don't even have a treatment that actually works.

Thousands of people are dying, especially in New York, and it's hard to believe that the US Open won't be touched by those deaths. Aren't they even using the facility as a makeshift hospital?

Like...how is this even a possibility in people's minds?

Even if New York gets their outbreak under control somehow, most countries still have travel bans. Most players are unable to train.

Most people won't have money to attend sporting events. Most people will be afraid of crowds.

Most players will be afraid of crowds. Most players will be scared to shake hands, use the same balls, towels etc. Most players, journalists, fans etc will be afraid to travel by air.

I see absolutely no chance of tennis this year unless we get a vaccine (which is basically impossible) or at least a VERY good treatment, one that works so well that it makes the disease almost insignificant. And I don't think that will happen.
All of this is correct and just

But it fails before the almighty dollar. They will play the event without crowds. Might not be in NYC, might be later in the season, but the show will go on

·
Registered
22,391 Posts
Will you ever stop to shove your weight around based on nothing? It‘s highly annoying in this case.
I guess I am gonna have to go back to the moderators about you after we were told not to interact (mainly quote) each other's post, especially after the lies you told on the previous subject.

In case you didn't know, I live in New York. You don't. I'm in the epicenter. You're not. I work at the tournament. You're a fan hiding behind a keyboard.

That being said, whether you're in Belgium or Germany, I wish you no harm by this terrible pandemic, but your constant criticism of me based on a dislike that formed out of nowhere (I see you quote me negatively more than anyone else) is likewise annoying.

Don't spoil any more threads by making me respond to nonsense.

1 - 20 of 1472 Posts