Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's still early in the year to kind of be thinking about it but if Simona keeps being consistent, meaning not falling in early rounds in any tournament, it would be totally possible for her to finish this year as #1 again. I know she has to defend her title in Canada and finals in Cincinnati but after that she has literally ZERO points to defend because she fell early in New York, Wuhan and Beijing and she didn't even played in the YEC. So , I think it is very possible for her to reach #1. That would be a feat!

·
Banned
446 Posts
If she wins US Open and another 2 tournaments probably. She can surpass Osaka and Pliskova, but with Barty it's a different story. She will need US Open combined with 2 tournaments, if Ash also makes points.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Her big advantage is having zero points to defend in the last quarter of the season starting with the US Open, so if she does well in Toronto and Cincinnati (defend at least 1000 points) she is one of the big favorites to take the top spot by the end of the year. Nothing to defend at the USO, Wuhan and Beijing is a big deal, but even bigger is she didn't play last year at the WTA finals and that's what, 375 points just for showing up?

But really none of what happened last year matters in the end, it's all about the race and right now she is in 2nd there. So yes, if she keeps her Wimbledon form up (although transition to hard from grass is not exactly easy) she is one of the big favorites. I think the race will end up being between her, Barty and Pliskova. I really REALLY wish I could throw Petra's name in there too, but we all know her relationship with the US Open. If she can surprise us during the Asian swing then she can absolutely get back in the race (of course depending on who wins the US Open, because if it's one of Barty, Halep or Pliskova, that could be it for the race).

It should be an interesting battle that could be made even more so depending who wins the US Open (can Osaka repeat? can Pliskova finally win her first slam? will it be someone else we won't see coming beforehand?). And yes, to answer the question she is right now one of the top 3 favorites to win the Race and possibly finish as the year-end number 1 again.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Her big advantage is having zero points to defend in the last quarter of the season starting with the US Open, so if she does well in Toronto and Cincinnati (defend at least 1000 points) she is one of the big favorites to take the top spot by the end of the year. Nothing to defend at the USO, Wuhan and Beijing is a big deal, but even bigger is she didn't play last year at the WTA finals and that's what, 375 points just for showing up?

But really none of what happened last year matters in the end, it's all about the race and right now she is in 2nd there. So yes, if she keeps her Wimbledon form up (although transition to hard from grass is not exactly easy) she is one of the big favorites. I think the race will end up being between her, Barty and Pliskova. I really REALLY wish I could throw Petra's name in there too, but we all know her relationship with the US Open. If she can surprise us during the Asian swing then she can absolutely get back in the race (of course depending on who wins the US Open, because if it's one of Barty, Halep or Pliskova, that could be it for the race).

It should be an interesting battle that could be made even more so depending who wins the US Open (can Osaka repeat? can Pliskova finally win her first slam? will it be someone else we won't see coming beforehand?). And yes, to answer the question she is right now one of the top 3 favorites to win the Race and possibly finish as the year-end number 1 again.

current race rankings

Ashleigh Barty 23.2 AUS1 4885 - - - - - -
Simona Halep 27.7 ROU1 4427 - - - - - -
Karolína Plíšková 27.3 CZE1 4166 - - - - - -
Petra Kvitová 29.3 CZE2 3765 - - - - - -
Kiki Bertens 27.5 NED1 3276 - - - - - -
Naomi Osaka 21.7 JPN1 3156 - - - - - -
Belinda Bencic 22.3 SUI1 2758 - - - - - -
Johanna Konta 28.1 GBR1 2448 - - - - - -
Markéta Vondroušová 20 CZE3 2390 - - - - - -
Elina Svitolina 24.8 UKR1 2289

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

current race rankings

Ashleigh Barty 23.2 AUS1 4885 - - - - - -
Simona Halep 27.7 ROU1 4427 - - - - - -
Karolína Plíšková 27.3 CZE1 4166 - - - - - -
Petra Kvitová 29.3 CZE2 3765 - - - - - -
Kiki Bertens 27.5 NED1 3276 - - - - - -
Naomi Osaka 21.7 JPN1 3156 - - - - - -
Belinda Bencic 22.3 SUI1 2758 - - - - - -
Johanna Konta 28.1 GBR1 2448 - - - - - -
Markéta Vondroušová 20 CZE3 2390 - - - - - -
Elina Svitolina 24.8 UKR1 2289
I'm actually talking about the regular ranking ,not the race to the YEC. I think that Barty and Simona are basically in already.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
But some people are confusing it, you must end on the general rankings as world No 1 to end the year No 1. The Race is only important for Singapore.
You're the one that's confused. The year ends with Shenzen (NOT Singapore). The Race gets you there and the season ends with the WTA Finals in Shenzen. Excuse my French but the points from 2018 don't mean shit for the YE number 1 in 2019. Race keeps track of only the points made by a player this season, that's where you look at for questions such as 'who will wind up year-end number 1 in year X', you look at the points for year X and only year X.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some people understimate this achievement. Actually it's much tougher, than winning some random slam in 2-3 years.
I think, if Simona has 3 slams and 3 Year-end #1, she will be greater, than Pova
I totally agree. Winning a slam means you're hot for two weeks, and then you'll be cold the rest of the year like has happened with Muguruza. Being a a YEC means consistency, doing well week in and week out, and that takes a much bigger effort. And that's something that only Simona has been able to do in the last five years. NO OTHER player has been able to stay in the top 10 since 2014 as Simona has. Granted, at her peak, Serena was a solid #1 but then she got pregnant and had to take time off. And regarding to Sharapova's , I'd rather take Simona's achievements any day because they were reach by playing fair. Sharapova is a doper and her records will always and asterisk by them.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But some people are confusing it, you must end on the general rankings as world No 1 to end the year No 1. The Race is only important for Singapore.
You're the one that's confused. The year ends with Shenzen (NOT Singapore). The Race gets you there and the season ends with the WTA Finals in Shenzen. Excuse my French but the points from 2018 don't mean shit for the YE number 1 in 2019. Race keeps track of only the points made by a player this season, that's where you look at for questions such as 'who will wind up year-end number 1 in year X', you look at the points for year X and only year X.
No, you're wrong. The Year #1 is decided by the regular rankings NOT by the race to Shenzen. A clear example of it was last year where Simona could not even compete in Singapore and still she held off on #1 because she had a very good year before the Asian swing.

Reactions: lima isai

·
Banned
446 Posts
Ok, yes, it was moved to Shenzen. but YEAR-END doesn't mean Race. It means general (regular) rankings.

Year-End = WTA Rankings, not Race. This is what Halep has achieved for 2 seasons.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, yes, it was moved to Shenzen. but YEAR-END doesn't mean Race. It means general (regular) rankings.

Year-End = WTA Rankings, not Race. This is what Halep has achieved for 2 seasons.
This!!!!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
:lol:
Come on people, we are on a forum tennis board, you should know by now that the Race becomes the official rankings at end of the year :) Last points to drop from the rankings are from WTA Finals from the previous year and are being replaced with the ones from the current Finals. So, that's why towards the end of the year the Race becomes more relevant with each week...
It's not rocket science ;)

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
No, you're wrong. The Year #1 is decided by the regular rankings NOT by the race to Shenzen. A clear example of it was last year where Simona could not even compete in Singapore and still she held off on #1 because she had a very good year before the Asian swing.
You are now just confusing him even more by misunderstanding my words. YE is the race plus whatever points you made in Shenzen.

The regular rankings BECOME the race ranking when the WTA Finals starts in the live rankings because at that point there are no more 2018 points in play. The official season ends when all the 2018 points are out of a player's ranking, so they are left with just their 2019 points, the points for this season. It doesn't matter where they came from, it's only the points for this season.

The normal ranking is for entry to tournaments and keeps track of a player's last 12 months, but especially when you're in the middle of a season that ranking does not tell the actual story of the season, because again it's looking at 2018 points too. The only actual ranking of this season, of 2019, is the Race. That's what you look at if you want to see who's the most likely to finish YE number 1.

Simona made plenty of points in the Race to finish the year at number 1 regardless who won at that time Singapore. The regular rankings do what you say they do ONLY at the end of the WTA finals. Before that they also contain points from the previous season, which don't matter for YE number 1 in the current season.

This is incredibly basic stuff, and you probably know it too, he was confused (truth be told this stuff can be confusing if you've new to tennis) and you are not helping him one bit by continuing to make him think he isn't.

Again, and this is for him, Race points count only the current season, normal ranking counts the last 12 months and that's used to get seeding and main draws at tournaments. We use the normal ranking to place players in a tournament, but we use the race PLUS what that player made in the WTA Finals (or Elite tournament, which will be the week before Shenzen this year) to figure out where they finished the CURRENT season. So when trying to figure out who's having the best season or who the favorites to end a year in 1st are, always look at the Race, because those and only those are that season's points.

·
Banned
446 Posts
WTA doesn't award you for Race but for ending as No 1 in the WTA Rankings (general rankings). RACE is only important for Singapore and gets no official prize.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
WTA doesn't award you for Race but for ending as No 1 in the WTA Rankings (general rankings). RACE is only important for Singapore and gets no official prize.
Race BECOMES general ranking by the end of the year, that's what we're trying to tell you. It's not that complicated to understand, you just have to want to understand and stop being so stubborn. Read what I wrote above, it's explained there in detail what is what and what you should be looking at for the year end number 1. I get English is not your first language, and if there's something you misunderstood ask away and people here will help.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Most likely. I dont think Osaka will come close to defending her title. She is in a strange place right now.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts