Tennis Forum banner

Simona Halep - will she win another major ?

• yes

Votes: 32 57.1%
  • no

Votes: 24 42.9%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
everyone was saying that Simona was a shoe-in for her second slam ,that no one left in the draw could stop Claylep from hoisting another RG trophy:unsure: turns out not to be the case .:shrug:

she's not getting any younger and there are some serious young players getting better and better by the day ,including ones that can play on clay ..so will Simona ever win a second slam or no:confused:

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
Will she ever win another title? She thinks she's too big to play MMs now, but she can't win anything above that level. I'm still at a loss to explain how she lost a final to Mertens.
She needs a real coach, but I'm not sure any big-time coach is interested in working with her. They know she's a limited talent who seems satisfied with what she's already achieved, and she's too emotionally attached to Cahill. Look at all the younger girls coming up now with so much more potential. Anisimova, Vondrousova, Andreescu, Swiatek, Osaka...Taking on Simona at 27/28, with her established refusal to develop her game beyond grinding, seems a fool's errand. I've been saying for years she'll retire by 29, and it's looking more and more like her only goal left is the 2020 Olympics. Once she loses there, she'll quit.

·
Registered
84,762 Posts
Barring any serious injury, she is still in contention for most slams as long as she keeps up her form. If her game fades like Sam Stosur, then can be safe to say she's done.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Hopefully not. I was reading a New Yorker profile before the French and it was pretty obvious she lacks the motivation to do so. Never seemed like a multi-Slam winner to me.

·
She was extremely lucky to win her 1st with Sloane choking massively in the final. I thought this unbelievable cakewalk draw was going to result in the same amount of luck but thankfully she was stomped out by a 17 year old.

·
Registered
296 Posts
She looks satisfied with her one slam and countless other achievements, much like Wozniacki.

But while Caroline still has to overcome challenges that have haunted her for all her carreer, like getting past Wimbledon R4 e finally winning the USO, and therefore goals to reach, Simona has literally no unfinished business.

So who knows? she might get one more, but I frankly see her retiring in 2020 once/if she slips away from top 30.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Will she ever win another title? She thinks she's too big to play MMs now, but she can't win anything above that level. I'm still at a loss to explain how she lost a final to Mertens.
She needs a real coach, but I'm not sure any big-time coach is interested in working with her. They know she's a limited talent who seems satisfied with what she's already achieved, and she's too emotionally attached to Cahill. Look at all the younger girls coming up now with so much more potential. Anisimova, Vondrousova, Andreescu, Swiatek, Osaka...Taking on Simona at 27/28, with her established refusal to develop her game beyond grinding, seems a fool's errand. I've been saying for years she'll retire by 29, and it's looking more and more like her only goal left is the 2020 Olympics. Once she loses there, she'll quit.
honestly Halep should feel Lucky with this one slam trophy, and maybe she can surprise and go on playing a bit longer than we think, maybe just no longer having the high hopes of winning something but more playing for fun

a Pennetta, Schiavone also went on for quite a while, despite all those near trophy wins but just barely ended up losing in a semi final or final, with Pennetta winning a slam in the last career days being a bit of a miracle

·
Registered
962 Posts
What we've seen at RG this year is many of the seeds knocked out early for various reasons, being badly prepared, ill, or unfit. There will always be opportunities. Few players on WTA seem to be good at defending the big points. If she can stay fit, she can go to the next few slams with few points to defend, I think Simona can do it again.

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
Not sure if she'll Never Win Another. However, I feel she's done winning one for the rest of the season, and maybe into 2020 AO?

She may have her chances at next years FO, wanting to redeem herself. But she maybe happy with her one...We'll see?

·
Registered
21,858 Posts
Hopefully not. I was reading a New Yorker profile before the French and it was pretty obvious she lacks the motivation to do so. Never seemed like a multi-Slam winner to me.

She never seemed like even a single slam winner to me, but since there are so many very generous women on the WTA willing to gift wins on a whim, you just never know.

I just wish she would bring back her old boobs...

:tears:

Reactions: amyd_1989

·
Registered
18,846 Posts
I think she can. On her day, she's still the best clay courter out there. And she's pretty good on hard courts, too. I agree that her mentality isn't as dynamic at the moment, but if she sticks around for three to five more years, she may rediscover that fire. Right now, the French Open is wide-open, and if she can keep her form at a fairly decent level, she's going to be a good choice to win another one for the next few years. Until this loss, she looked like the best choice to win the French, didn't she? She came out flat against Amanda today and paid the price. But it doesn't suddenly mean she's no longer a threat.

·
Banned
8,145 Posts
Hopefully we will always have talent like Anisimova to stop that happening.

·
Registered
34,181 Posts
It's not going to be easy for her at all, and it's clear that last year's win (plus that AO run) really took a lot out of her. Who knows whether she can ever get that back. However, it's the WTA, so watch her go win Wimbledon in a few weeks ;).

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
There is always a chance for anyone on WTA, the problem is she really doesn't look motivated to go for more.

Maybe she can snatch another one when nobody will count on her anymore...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
She couldn't defend her RG title when she had a nice straight path all mapped out ahead of her. She was beaten 1st round US Open by a returning Sharapova. Wimbledon and Australia are beyond her so.........

·
Registered
21,858 Posts
Hopefully we will always have talent like Anisimova to stop that happening.

Life is a mystery, everyone must stand alone...

and hopefully her one slam will stand alone.

:eek:h:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
She was extremely lucky to win her 1st with Sloane choking massively in the final. I thought this unbelievable cakewalk draw was going to result in the same amount of luck but thankfully she was stomped out by a 17 year old.
who had beaten Zvonareva in R1, so Vera can at least now say i lost to one of the eventual sensations of this years French open

Amanda was playing very motivated, in it to win it and Halep with the usual ''i don't care, quarter final is enough mood''

1 - 20 of 58 Posts