Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And that is, to keep mentioning how Kim beat SERENA, once, almost a year ago, and, yet, somehow forget to mention that she has suffered 5 losses and no wins againt Richard's kids this year? :rolleyes:

Just wondering.

TR :cool:

· Banned
3,412 Posts
TeeRexx said:
And that is, to keep mentioning how Kim beat SERENA, once, almost a year ago, and, yet, somehow forget to mention that she has suffered 5 losses and no wins againt Richard's kids this year? :rolleyes:

Just wondering.

TR :cool:
Not if Pam is suffering from IBS (Irritable bowel syndrom http://www.freenet.scri.fsu.edu/HealthGazette/ibs.html ). :eek: Researchers have recently related selective memory with IBS. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8406160&dopt=Abstract

· Registered
15,497 Posts
Btw, this is NOT an attack towards Venus. It just bothers me that tee rexx keeps remembering us of the fact that KIM hasn't beat Serena since the championships, but doesn't mention that his no.1 favourite player [Venus] hasn't beat her since 2 years ago! :(

· Banned
3,412 Posts
It just bothers me that tee rexx keeps remembering us of the fact that KIM hasn't beat Serena since the championships, but doesn't mention that his no.1 favourite player [Venus] hasn't beat her since 2 years ago!
Hey, you finally got teerex's point. Just substitue Pam for teerex and kim for venus in that sentence.

· Registered
20,884 Posts
If you are in the US, you won't hear Pam commentating on the US Open beucase coverage will be on USA cable and CBS-TV and she doesn't have a contract with either staiton. You will be hearing the following people (I think):

Ted Robinson (USA Cable only)
John McEnroe
Tracy Austin (USA Cable only)
Mary Carillo (CBS only)
Dick Emberg (CBS only)

· Registered
1,981 Posts
Teerexx:
Number one, while I loathe to defend Shriver, remember this. It is sort of her job to build up the hype in women's tennis. She does not go on national television and tell the audience that the outcome of a match is a foregone conclusion, because if she did, it would be pretty much like saying, "don't bother to watch." So she is always going to make it sound as if the underdog in any match she is calling has a real chance, when most of the time she doesn't. So she brings up Kim beating Serena to prove that Kim CAN beat Serena.

Secondly, I think Shriver is about as "Williams-friendly" a commentator as you could find. As Venus' former tour mentor, she hardly indicated she hates Venus, or Serena. I have no idea of their personal relationship today, if one exists at all, but I have never seen anything to generate the hatred Williams fans seem to heap upon big Pam. I also wonder, though, if Pam expected more access or something to Venus since she had been her mentor, and was disappointed not to get it.

I don't remember any big articles about Venus by Pam in which Pam gives us the inside scoop or something.

Lastly, Serena is Serena and Venus is Venus. Two different people. Williams fans are very quick to blast others for lumping them together like a single entity, when they are different people.

Well, it sort of works that way when comparing head to head records, too. A player's record against "Richard's kids" is sort of unfair, since the player should only be examined for her record against one player at a time.

· Registered
4,880 Posts
I cant stand Pam commentating - on every shot she goes into detail of how to hit the shot - at Wimbledon it was the worst - look how she prepared for that forehand - shoulder and hips pivot and racket is already ready to swing and then she comes through it brilliantly - she could easily say - good forehand, good preparation

· Registered
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TonyP -Ok, first, Pam keeps mentioning that victory over SERENA as if it was yesterday and was in a GS final. Pam is implying a veiled implication of dominance by Clijsters by the wording and ommission of this year's results in that overly repeated statement.

Secondly, Pam was a mentor to VENUS at one time. but after Indian Wells and comments that Richard directed towards Pam and Mary Jo for not trying to clarify the incident, she has held a grudge, even after Richard apologized on air to Pam.
Their must be some truth to these statements because, as you say, Williams fans, who do not personally know one another, seem to pick up on her tone of communication.

Finally, ok, VENUS beat clijsters twice and SERENA three times this year. Now the totals are not lumped together. I have seperated the thrashings of Kim by each of Richard's kids. :p :)

· Registered
2,680 Posts
lizchris said:
If you are in the US, you won't hear Pam commentating on the US Open beucase coverage will be on USA cable and CBS-TV and she doesn't have a contract with either staiton. You will be hearing the following people (I think):

Ted Robinson (USA Cable only)
John McEnroe
Tracy Austin (USA Cable only)
Mary Carillo (CBS only)
Dick Emberg (CBS only)
Thanks.

Tee Rexx you have nothing to worry about it. Pam will not be there. :)

· Premium Member
20,087 Posts
I think Pam Shriver should be banned from commentating. She is HORRIBLE. And while I know her fans will try to defend her bias, she is very unprofessional. She could at least try to conceal some of her favoritism, it's really disturbing the way she acts. The comments that she says are at rude and harsh.

I am glad she does not commentate at the USO. I would prefer Mary Carillo, and even though Mary suprised me at Wimby(with her negative talk) she is far more better.

I will even take John Mcenroe over Pam.

Go figure! :rolleyes:

· Registered
2,406 Posts
I quite like the Shrivester, actually. It was quite amusing to watch her at Wimbledon trying to press the case for equal prize money in the face of veiled attacks on the women's game by Johnny Mac sitting next to her, all the while getting more visibly annoyed at his dismissive attitude towards the women. Besides, I don't think she has an anti-Williams bias, during the BBC's coverage she was going on all the time about Henin's poor sportmanship at RG when every other commentator wanted to let the issue lie.

· Registered
2,406 Posts
You're misunderstanding me, TR - I can only speak from personal experience, but I've never heard any of this negative Williams commentary from P.S. of which you speak. Therefore, that can't be the reason why I like her. Nah, my reasons for liking her are much the same as the fake Pam Shriver who sometimes visits here - that amazing American drawl of hers is highly distinctive and can be very refreshing at times. Plus, while she can trot out some cliches, she also has a number of original observations to offer.

· Banned
1,856 Posts
What's love got to do with it...???

:) TonyP et al...!!! :)

Why keep bringing up the fact that Pam was a mentor to Venus...??? Does it neccessarily follow that one's mentor is also one's "biggest supporter...??? Does mentoring negate ones "trashing" of another...??? Really, what's "mentoring got to do with it...???"

Don't get me wrong, I'm not just harping on you about mentioning that Pam was Venus' mentor. But, truthfully, what has that got to do with the ways inwhich Pam commentates the matches????????? At any rate, sometimes Pam irritates me when she's color commentating a match and quite freguently shows her own biases towards the players.

· Registered
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The coverage that Shriver gives when a Williams is playing is much different than when neither of the two are competing.

Pam always has ways to beat SERENA or VENUS, but never any strategy for lower ranked players to handle Clijsters or capriati or others.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.