Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before any Sharapova fans start going off on one by saying she has tennis as her number 1 priority, lets get one thing straigh priorities change!!!!!I'm almost 100% sure Anna Kournikova was origionally totally commited to the sport, I'm also pretty sure a 16 year old Britney really did want to stay a virgin till she got married. But as exampled by these 2 women people's priorities do change. Good got that one out of the way...whose betting the Mashabaters still ignore it and go on and spout their same old tripe.

Well do you guys think that she'll still be playing at 30 or do you think she may have moved on to other things? When do you think she'll retire and how, like Anna (says she'll come back if she can), like Clijsters (says she'll stay for one more season but doesn't), like Lindsay (quiet and dignified)?

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Yep of course things do change but Sharapova has a lot more potential than Kournikova and I'm sure she can make a lot more money out of the game than her. I think she will still be playing at 30 myself.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
No. Her physical make up and mental attitude is not up to it. Also, she has made so much money that she does not need to play tennis for another 10 years.

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
I think she'll have quite a fair bit of her success still in her career but it will be more spread out, so unlike Lindsay she won't feel the need to "hang around for that last slam. I think she'll retire in a Lindsayish way at 28ish :)

Can we bring into this thread, seeing as I want to :p when you think Venus and Serena will retire? Will Serena keep on playing till she's 30, will Venus? Will anyone at the top of tennis right now continue playing into their 30's in a Martina Navratilova type style?

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
10 years? I'd say no, but that may have to do more with the fact that she'll have enough on-court success to probably call it a day before then. I think she's made comments about retiring at a younger age like 25 or something like that?

I don't see her succumbing to Kournikova syndrome though, because she takes care of her game, body, and focus better than her. As far as raw potential, Anna had plenty...she just got distracted by other things that caused her to not take care of her mental & physical state, and had the money to not care as much in the end.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
i thought about that many times before ...Maria never said she'll be playing at 30 so no i dont think so, i remember her saying she wants to quit at 25 and i respect her decision, tennis is a tough sport and after so many years on court her priorities will deffinetly change.

i hope she'll retire like Lindsay- happy and in love , a baby would be great and would make her departure easier to bear :)

---

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
No, she has said she wants to retire sooner than that.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
10 years? I'd say no, but that may have to do more with the fact that she'll have enough on-court success to probably call it a day before then. I think she's made comments about retiring at a younger age like 25 or something like that?
Yeah, she mentioned that she might want to start a family by then, when asked about Kim's retirement.

I think she may stick around for the next 6-7 years but I don't think she'll continue till she's 30. She'll be very successful and rich by then, I think she'll feel that she has accomplished all that she wanted to do.

·
Banned
4,328 Posts
she has made a lot of money and if she retires tomorrow she has enough for the rest of her life.she might meet a billionare who doesnt want her globetrotting.

·
God Gave Us Rock 'N' Roll
47,931 Posts
she has made a lot of money and if she retires tomorrow she has enough for the rest of her life.she might meet a billionare who doesnt want her globetrotting.
is this bad to earn for living?

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Can we bring into this thread, seeing as I want to :p when you think Venus and Serena will retire? Will Serena keep on playing till she's 30, will Venus? Will anyone at the top of tennis right now continue playing into their 30's in a Martina Navratilova type style?
Williams Sisters have pretty much accomplished everything in the sport but due to the time out from the game they have taken I feel they are definitely physically up to remaining in the game until they are in their 30s.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Blimey, I do love WTAworld... who knows, is the honest answer. But seeing as I'm writing an essay and thus in a speculative mood, I'd say probably 25-6? If she has the drive, perhaps she will go on to 30. But hasn't she (don't quote me on this) already says she doesn't want to drag it out forever? She does play high-impact tennis and as such has to be careful with injuries, burnout etc etc. the more active the schedule and, often, the greater the accomplishments of the individual, the greater strain it puts on them to retire earlier (cf. Clijsters though obviously personal reasons came into that decision too).

·
Registered
515 Posts
In 10 years , she will be a tennis announcer. Just like Lindsay Davenport is soon to be. Good luck Linsday.

·
Registered
20,008 Posts
10 years? probably not. playing until 30 is a lot to ask of a player going deep into draws every week.

·
Premium Member
28,161 Posts
I very much doubt she will still be around in 10 years. She will have an awesome career and achieve many great things and then she will move on to other ventures in the worlds of fashion, medelling and product endorsement etc. she will still be a star after the game of tennis the same as Serena will be.

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
Nah. 5 years and then she'll be an "it" girl living the celebrity lifestyle with a celebrity boyfriend.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts