Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
it's just me against the music.
27,113 Posts
Now that the doping saga has come and gone, it is clear Sharapova is one of the top 104 players in the world when not injured. She is a former champion. It would not be a scandal if AO gives her a WC.

·
Honorary Admin
99,101 Posts
Now that the doping saga has come and gone, it is clear Sharapova is one of the top 104 players in the world when not injured.
this is probably true (even if she's currently #132 without Meldonium but not playing a full year)
She is a former champion.
yes but without Meldonium, you don't know if she'd win ;)
It would not be a scandal if AO gives her a WC.
Here you're right again, she'll probably get a WC (again), even if not fully deserved :wink2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wonder if DOKIC has any chance of one of the remaining wildcards? I'm guessing no, but am not quite sure how that works.....There are talks of a comeback (she is in excellent she has definitely been training) and she says she will make a major announcement at the end of the year.

·
Registered
14,770 Posts
Ofc they will give her a WC, she brings people into the stands and therefore money into the pocket of Tennis Australia :lol:

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
It would be extremely disappointing. We know the US Open has absolutely no ethic, but I expect more from the Aussies.
I wouldn't have any ethical expectations. The AO rolled out the fairly ugly red carpet in 2018 and asked Pova to do the draw ceremony in Serena's absence and they put her on Rod Laver Arena.

I question how popular she actually is at this stage in her career. I was at the Woz vs Pova match this year and there was clearly more support for Woz and some people in the crowd applauded Pova's faults. (I swear it wasn't me :eek:h:) Then there was the booing at the Barty match after that bathroom break. She still has some support but how many people are showing up expecting a train wreck.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
It would be extremely disappointing. We know the US Open has absolutely no ethic, but I expect more from the Aussies.
Is Craig still the TD? If so, Federer. She will get that WC.

Btw I didn't realise that her appearance fee is 300,000 Euro. Read it in some interview with the Linz or Lux organisers I think. Can't remember where.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I wouldn't have any ethical expectations. The AO rolled out the fairly ugly red carpet in 2018 and asked Pova to do the draw ceremony in Serena's absence and they put her on Rod Laver Arena.

I question how popular she actually is at this stage in her career. I was at the Woz vs Pova match this year and there was clearly more support for Woz and some people in the crowd applauded Pova's faults. (I swear it wasn't me :eek:h:) Then there was the booing at the Barty match after that bathroom break. She still has some support but how many people are showing up expecting a train wreck.
I forgot about that. It seems only the English and the French have some morals. Too bad, I thought you guys were more close to the British than to the Yankees.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I forgot about that. It seems only the English and the French have some morals. Too bad, I thought you guys were more close to the British than to the Yankees.
It doesn't reflect the moral values of Australians at large - just that of Craig Tiley and his ilk. I personally found the whole thing very distasteful.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
It doesn't reflect the moral values of Australians at large - just that of Craig Tiley and his ilk. I personally found the whole thing very distasteful.
Oh, sorry if I offended you, didn't mean for literally everyone. But yeah, that was really disappointing.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I hope she plays Qs. I don't think she will but if she has to, I don't think she will mind. She was supposed to be in qualies at Wimbledon 2017 but was injured. It's not a pride thing and getting through three qualy matches with likely 6-0, 6-1, 6-2 score lines would build her confidence...but 10 matches to win a title might be too much to ask at this moment. There's also the very real possibility that they rig the draw like US Open.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
If Maria wins Honolulu, she will have enough points. She's guaranteed to play three matches. Of course, it's Kerber and Andreescu she will face but Kerber is long overdue for Sharapova's revenge. Andreescu doesnt seem like she will ever win a match again. Osaka broke that spell.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts